N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Yeah maybe a controversial question. When I was younger I was pretty convinced that for many first the drug abuse starts and then they get mentally ill. I was in a clinic for people with psychosis and many dudes I have met took really hard drugs. I am pretty sure in many of these cases the drug abused caused mental illness. Or another theory is they would have got only a mild form of it but the the addiction made the problem way bigger.

I have this theory on me. In my family most men have depression. Yeah what a fucking good idea to procreate then. Even if I wasn't abused and bullied maybe I would have developed a mental illness anyway. But I am pretty sure it would not have been on this insane crippling level. Bipolar, psychosis, so much ODC and atypical anorexic.

I have heard about other cases. People who try to cope with mental illness by abusing drugs. Or people who are not really sane. I know a girl I worry a lot about her. She was is now for a long time offline. I am a little bit scared she accidentally killed herself. Yeah she is literally insane. She is bipolar and sometimes psychotic. When I met her for the first time she was very hard anti-drugs. Just as me. But now after some new episodes she started to take hard drugs during her manias. During manias people tend to risky behavior. And one example of that can be taking drugs.

Some schizophrenic people smoke cigarettes. I think many people even start it after the first epsiode. It is due to the dopmaine effect which gets triggered by smoking cigarettes. Similar dopamine effects are caused by smartphone games. I don't smoke but I love those. This effect also gets triggered as far as I know in people who solely have psychosis. (not schizophrenia)

Then there are people like Jordan Peterson. And maybe this will also be my future. You only can be functional if you take benzos or other addictive medication. And even doctors presecribed way too many opiods for example in the US. I think I am not close of getting an addict for now. But the risk is defintely there. I have some doctors who supervise it and we came to the conclusion that sometimes small amounts of addictive medication are necessary in order to get hopefully a stable income in the future. I am really anxious to get an addict also because I think my brain is too vulnerable for a benzo withdrawal. But I don't really have a choice if I don't want to leave college/ my last hope for getting a stable income.

But I also think some people took very dangerous amounts of drugs. There are some rules for taking drugs safely. And I think many people don't pay enough attention for that. For example the brains of teenagers are developing this is why some substance are very counterproductive for them.

When I think about people with a very unhealthy relation to drugs I think of David Foster Wallace, Juice WRLD or Lil Peep. I really love them as artists very much but when I read how much hard drugs they had taken I don't wonder they got mental illness. There are a lot of evidences that longterm use of cocaine makes most people depressed. When I just read what Lil Peep took before he died. Some say it was a suicide and others say it was an accidental overdose. His autopsy said he had the following in his blood: fentanyl,(very) high dosage xanax, cocaine, weed and 5 different other opiods. I mean it is obivous a human being will collapse or the mental health of a person if one takes this amount of pills. I don't know how they planned to live on with all these severe addictions. It is extremely difficult to go through with a withdrawal just of one of these drugs. But all these drugs combined? I think Juice and Lil both knew it will kill them.

What is your opinion on that? DFW said in his work that a huge amount of people who become addicts as adults were abused as children. Not sure if it is true. Could be true. Cannot remember the percentage if I had to guess I think it was 1/3 what he mentioned.

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
from the people i hung out with and my understanding, its mental illness/abuse(including peer pressure) that causes the drug problem

Reactions: Enigmatic Sailor