B

bpdandme

Experienced
Feb 3, 2020
I'm so tired of constantly being dismissed like emotional distress does not have an impact on you physically. If I was physically ill and bed bound, I would have sympathy but because I am mentally ill and bed bound I am lazy. Had my parents pestering me for doing nothing all day and not moving, even though I was in hospital a few months ago after a suicide attempt. People just expect you to get better and treat you different for a day. I hate people so much, why are majority of people so ignorant?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Pisceslilith, ithappens, Pryras and 15 others
Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
I can't answer why people are ignorant but unfortunately all I can say is.. that's life. That's just how some people are. Ignorant. Not everyone can fully comprehend just how debilitating mental illness can be and it's sad. Like you said, if you were psychically ill, there would be more sympathy. It's very frustrating and hard to cope with internally. I'm sorry your parents don't understand. Venting here is at least something. Thinking of you.

• Hugs
Reactions: bpdandme and Lady Lazarus 2020
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Before I fell ill, I could imagine what it would be like to have a broken leg, but not a broken mind. I think it all boils down to the fact that it's almost impossible to understand what it's like to suffer from a mental health condition if you have no experience of it yourself.

• Love
Reactions: terry_a_davis, Deleted member 1465, Epsilon0 and 3 others
Lady Lazarus 2020

Lady Lazarus 2020

Student
Jan 25, 2020
I understand. I can barely move and no one gets it. I totally understand. You are shunned or put down for mental illness but if you had a physical illness there would be all of this compassion and kindness, right? I'm very sorry that your parents don't understand. It is torture.

• Love
Reactions: bpdandme and Deathbydemo
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Majority of people believe you have a huge problem only when they see that. If you tell people, you are feeling horrible, you re likely to get an answer like "don't worry, it is only now, everything will get better". Instead of teaching shit at school, people would better be taught about mental health problems. Most of the people, who are not mentally ill, don't learn anything what they are not interested in, only when it comes. Parents don't even read books how to raise children, what problems they may face. Cause they think that they already know that. Only if the child makes his/her first attempt, they start reacting

• Love
Reactions: mpnf, Sensei and bpdandme
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah most of humanity sucks and while there are a few (far and between the many), it doesn't help that mainstream society and media treats those who struggle with such patronizing and faux concern about their well-being while spewing awareness and suicide prevention (mostly just for virtue signaling). As for when that day would come, it would be very hard to say and the way we treat the mentally ill, especially the suicidal is just barbaric even in today's age.

• Love
Reactions: Barbus, Deleted member 1465, Whale_bones and 3 others
B

bpdandme

Experienced
Feb 3, 2020
I can't answer why people are ignorant but unfortunately all I can say is.. that's life. That's just how some people are. Ignorant. Not everyone can fully comprehend just how debilitating mental illness can be and it's sad. Like you said, if you were psychically ill, there would be more sympathy. It's very frustrating and hard to cope with internally. I'm sorry your parents don't understand. Venting here is at least something. Thinking of you.

This is one of the main reasons I want to kill myself, I'm so out of place in this society. Constantly looking for ways to sympathise with others and see things from new perspectives, but rarely get the same in return. I hate society so much, I do not wish to participate in it. No one even wants to educate themselves when suicide is one of the biggest killers and often the byproduct of mental health struggles. Thank you for hearing me, I appreciate your kindness! So glad to have this safe space on SS and speak to understanding people like yourself:happy:
Before I fell ill, I could imagine what it would be like to have a broken leg, but not a broken mind. I think it all boils down to the fact that it's almost impossible to understand what it's like to suffer from a mental health condition if you have no experience of it yourself.
Thank you for giving me perspective of the other side of the issue. I've never had a broken bone, but I don't assume that means it doesn't exist? I feel like people should view the same on mental health struggles, but I get that it's hard to comprehend without experiencing it. I just feel like suicide is one of the biggest killers, why aren't people willing to accept that it is an epidemic that needs to be understood and taken seriously. Suicide, the same as death by any other illness is the symptom of said illness. Why can't we be heard when there are so many of us suffering?

Sorry to go off on a rant! Can you recover from your illness? I'll be thinking of you and sending light.
I understand. I can barely move and no one gets it. I totally understand. You are shunned or put down for mental illness but if you had a physical illness there would be all of this compassion and kindness, right? I'm very sorry that your parents don't understand. It is torture.

Thank you for hearing me, I hear you too. Here if you want to speak to someone who understands!
Majority of people believe you have a huge problem only when they see that. If you tell people, you are feeling horrible, you re likely to get an answer like "don't worry, it is only now, everything will get better". Instead of teaching shit at school, people would better be taught about mental health problems. Most of the people, who are not mentally ill, don't learn anything what they are not interested in, only when it comes. Parents don't even read books how to raise children, what problems they may face. Cause they think that they already know that. Only if the child makes his/her first attempt, they start reacting
That's so true! We need more education, research and funding. I attempted suicide and almost died but people still don't get it and people treated me different for a couple of days. I can't win, pushes me further to the edge.
Yeah most of humanity sucks and while there are a few (far and between the many), it doesn't help that mainstream society and media treats those who struggle with such patronizing and faux concern about their well-being while spewing awareness and suicide prevention (mostly just for virtue signaling). As for when that day would come, it would be very hard to say and the way we treat the mentally ill, especially the suicidal is just barbaric even in today's age.

So true. I hope we can see some progress soon. How many deaths will it take?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Barbus and Sensei
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
People don't understands the true depths of mental illness as the terms such as depression, anxiety, bipolar and so forth are terms used so loosely now and thrown around in jest that it's hard for it to be taken seriously now in some ways. I saw a meme on social media a few days ago, simply 2 expressions on a cat grumpy and normal almost smiling and the quote I can't full recall, was alone the lines of.. Me on my bipolar days... So many comments of laughing saying they knew how that feels.
You also get ones of omg he saw my snap chat my anxiety is now through roof and so on.
Whilst I do not rip down on those who truely have a mental health illness when people use the terms in such a way that its seen as a joke then how can people understand the depths of despair it can take some too. Does this even make any sense?

• Love
Reactions: Responsibleresident, Anon2662, Deleted member 1465 and 3 others
faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
@bpdandme Only when news will start showing every CTB, not just Callie's and the reasons why that happened, something might be done. Otherwise we will have plenty of people on the waiting list and with failed treatments.

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
Yes, I am viewed as a sort of weird, reclusive pariah. Truth is, what my neighbors don't know that I spend bulk of my time writing and making art.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 1465, Cevapcici, ohhgeeitsme and 1 other person
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
It simply sucks. It really does make you feel even more isolated and lonely. I have severe anxiety and depression, although I tend to think the depression is just a natural and reasonable reaction to how the anxiety is and will continue to ruin my life. I've also been dealing with akathisia for five months now, which is the most torturous feeling I've ever experienced. No one really seems to get it, and it makes me feel even more trapped. Honestly, if people truly understood what I was feeling, I don't think I'd be as suicidal. Even people who do deal with it often don't understand that it can all manifest itself in different ways and that there are levels of severity and the reason they are able to still function fairly well is because just maybe, theirs simply isn't as bad. Just because we are both using the same word for a similar experience, doesn't mean it's the same. If you can still function and aren't even close to trying to kill yourself (I've tried hanging myself four times now), then we are NOT dealing with the same thing. I do have real physical ailments too (migraines, partial seizures, RA, doctor thinks endometriosis but not yet confirmed) and honestly, I don't feel like people fully sympathize with that either although definitely more than the mental stuff. It could be in my head, but I feel like people think I'm exaggerating the physical stuff too. Just can't win. I'm exhausted, that's all I know. You are not alone. I'm here if you need someone to talk/vent to.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
i don't think it ever will.

it's easier to recognize physical injuries and ailments and thus be able to sympathize and feel for it. on the other hand, emotional pain and heartache is hard to identify, see and recognize; and thus hard to understand. it's hard for people to understand and recognize a person's emotional suffering and in-turn, offer any sort of compassion and empathy and care.

this world fails to recognize and identify emotional pain and suffering and feel for people. and the lack of empathy in this world will never change, cause not everyone has the same heart and good intentions as the next person. cause if such things were existent, the world wouldn't be as dark as it is.

Reactions: Kassender
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
Not before ecological collapse or nuclear holocaust.

bananabear

bananabear

Jan 20, 2020
Ive had moderate successes in only saying that i have "some illnesses" and not really describing it. it doesnt work sometimes but i did have success with my previous boss and why some days i couldnt show up (fuck my workplace for switching department heads) but theres still no way i can say "i have a mental illness" and be taken seriously.

luckily (or unluckily) some of my mental illnesses do show physically if i dont cover them, so if not saying doesnt work my backup is telling them that i have lost my hair due to it and its something that should be taken seriously (honestly, lies that dont hurt others are fine imo, i dont lead people to believe that im dying but I usually suggest that i might have some genetic problems or something similar)

if i say i pull my hair, its impossible for anyone to understand. so i dont say it.

usually people dont push the topic because theyre uncomfortable. it doesn't really work with family cuz theyll push it so i dont have a good relationship with them. i also cant imagine personal relationships beyond occasional friends

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
They are. They go on about it on the football for goodness sake. Maybe it's the opposite and we've gone too soft. Depends what the problem is. If it's the world at large I wouldn't call it a mental illness but how many people truly care about that anyway?

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I suffer from an invisible illness. I would give anything for an an x-ray or a test that could prove it. Just to have it on paper, and be able to shove it in the face of all those who question it, or dismiss it as humbug.

sad_thranduil

sad_thranduil

I'm done. Bye.
Feb 15, 2020
never; maybe in a 1000 years, because we live in a physical world, where just the things we can see with our own eyes and touch with our own hands are solvable. All the things we can't see are just theories.

When we begin to accept the fact, that there is much more than just our ego driven physical reality, then we evolve as a human race, then mental health struggles will be treated with the same compassion as physical health; or maybe then we dont have these problems anymore.

Reactions: Kassender and Mr2005
P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
It simply sucks. It really does make you feel even more isolated and lonely. I have severe anxiety and depression, although I tend to think the depression is just a natural and reasonable reaction to how the anxiety is and will continue to ruin my life. I've also been dealing with akathisia for five months now, which is the most torturous feeling I've ever experienced. No one really seems to get it, and it makes me feel even more trapped. Honestly, if people truly understood what I was feeling, I don't think I'd be as suicidal. Even people who do deal with it often don't understand that it can all manifest itself in different ways and that there are levels of severity and the reason they are able to still function fairly well is because just maybe, theirs simply isn't as bad. Just because we are both using the same word for a similar experience, doesn't mean it's the same. If you can still function and aren't even close to trying to kill yourself (I've tried hanging myself four times now), then we are NOT dealing with the same thing. I do have real physical ailments too (migraines, partial seizures, RA, doctor thinks endometriosis but not yet confirmed) and honestly, I don't feel like people fully sympathize with that either although definitely more than the mental stuff. It could be in my head, but I feel like people think I'm exaggerating the physical stuff too. Just can't win. I'm exhausted, that's all I know. You are not alone. I'm here if you need someone to talk/vent to.
Thanks for your reply. Much love.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Honestly, I don't think they ever will be. People have a massively hard time having empathy and compassion for things they can't see, haven't experienced etc. The media will continue to play people with mental illness as monsters and people will lap it up because its the media.

Reactions: Kassender, terry_a_davis, Anon2662 and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The next stage in human evolution will be attaining the ability to listen. Sadly, without this ability we probably won't reach that stage. Ironic?

Reactions: lostangel and Sensei
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
The next stage in human evolution will be attaining the ability to listen. Sadly, without this ability we probably won't reach that stage. Ironic?
Were humans to become Homo sapiens auditens, the perpetual threat of nuclear war would no longer loom over us and prevent us from becoming Homo sapiens auditens.

terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
I echo the comments here that most people who haven't been mentally ill find it hard to understand the illness. I was one of them, my brother became schizophrenic and i thought if i explained to him it was something to do with dopamine it would help him out. I later became schizophrenic myself and realise now how pointless it is trying to reason with someone with schizophrenia.

• Love
Reactions: mpnf and Sensei
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
I echo the comments here that most people who haven't been mentally ill find it hard to understand the illness. I was one of them, my brother became schizophrenic and i thought if i explained to him it was something to do with dopamine it would help him out. I later became schizophrenic myself and realise now how pointless it is trying to reason with someone with schizophrenia.
HAve you ever seen videos of John Nash trying to reason through things with his son?

C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
No. Are they interesting? What happens?
It's kind of neat. Later in life, John Nash had a decent mastery of talking himself down from the anxieties he had experienced when younger, just as his son had started getting really sick. So, they were both in the middle of a news interview of some sort, and John just blurts out "son, you know, those things aren't real, and you can always talk with me about them?"

I wish I could do a better job describing, or to Google and cite for you, but I saw this video long ago.

TheOA

TheOA

Student
Jan 5, 2020
I agree with this.
I would add that the ability to empathize is also sorely missing in a culture where everything has to begin with "I" instead of ever considering "We".
The brain is an organ and can get sick like a liver, lung, or kidney.
This concept should not be a difficult one to comprehend and yet, for many, it is.

Reactions: Barbus
terry_a_davis

terry_a_davis

Warlock
Dec 28, 2019
It's kind of neat. Later in life, John Nash had a decent mastery of talking himself down from the anxieties he had experienced when younger, just as his son had started getting really sick. So, they were both in the middle of a news interview of some sort, and John just blurts out "son, you know, those things aren't real, and you can always talk with me about them?"

I wish I could do a better job describing, or to Google and cite for you, but I saw this video long ago.
I've had a quick look but couldn't find the vid, i will look again later. It's a shame his son became ill too, it shows there's a probable genetic factor factor with the illness. I think I should've added to my comment above that although it's pointless to try to reason with someone with schizophrenia about their delusions, simply talking can be helpful to ease the anxiety they're going through.

Last edited:
R

Responsibleresident

The deep state intrusion/cruelty is murderous
Nov 15, 2019
Disbelief is widespread. Everyone believes they have lived the same and since they overcame they assume you can also. Many believe they are educated on mental illness while in fact filled with incredibly obstinate stigma.

Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
Because they don't understand the extent mental suffering has on someone. The mental agony is worse than any physical pain I've experienced and no one understands why. I wish the same people could live in my shoes for a day and tell me what I'm going through isn't hell