J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
Having a hobby won't stop the urge, not that I wan't it to. I actually have numerous hobbies like drawing, writing, reading, and animating. It works as escapism. I used to spend my time doing it a lot, but eventually I couldn't do it anymore because either I didn't have motivation or I was burnt out from doing to it so much. Hobbies are a helpful distraction but eventually I'm forced back to reality no matter how hard I try, all I can obsessively think about is planning my method and nothing else. I'm so close.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Frew, NekoNomNom, disabledandhopeless and 13 others
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Tell them your hobby is collecting hangman's knots. That should fluster them.

• Love
Reactions: NekoNomNom, disabledandhopeless, OnlyTheWind and 14 others
almost_dead

almost_dead

Arcanist
Aug 7, 2020
I am so sorry

Reactions: nitroautnz and JackieInTheBox
T

tidalwxves

Student
Sep 8, 2020
Having a hobby won't stop the urge, not that I wan't it to. I actually have numerous hobbies like drawing, writing, reading, and animating. It works as escapism. I used to spend my time doing it a lot, but eventually I couldn't do it anymore because either I didn't have motivation or I was burnt out from doing to it so much. Hobbies are a helpful distraction but eventually I'm forced back to reality no matter how hard I try, all I can obsessively think about is planning my method and nothing else. I'm so close.
I think its about balance, maybe those activities were too solitary. Perhaps some social interaction will help you get the motivation to get back into your hobbies? This is just a suggestion, I hope I don't come across as condescending I'm just trying to see if there is a way to help you. I'm sorry you are in pain.

Reactions: JackieInTheBox
M

MariV

Arcanist
Sep 13, 2020
i have many hobbies...artistic ones like you indeed.by my extreme fatigue, blurred vision and brain fog doesnt let me practice them. so i have to ctb. i hope you find your motivation again soon.

Reactions: _Minsk, Stick and JackieInTheBox
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I have thousands of dollars invested in beads. 30 years worth. I'm to depressed to mess with them. I open the cabinet they are in stare at it blankly and close the doors. I can't figure out what I want to create and to depressed to try to figure it out. Once upon a time I could open the cabinet grab supplies create something and sell it without any thought into it. Now I just stare at it blankly sometimes and am over whelmed by it all.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 4993, _Minsk and 6 others
J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
I think its about balance, maybe those activities were too solitary. Perhaps some social interaction will help you get the motivation to get back into your hobbies? This is just a suggestion, I hope I don't come across as condescending I'm just trying to see if there is a way to help you. I'm sorry you are in pain.

You don't come of as condescending. But I do like being solitary as much as I can. Thanks for making suggestions though, I was just venting about a phrase I keep hearing.

i have many hobbies...artistic ones like you indeed.by my extreme fatigue, blurred vision and brain fog doesnt let me practice them. so i have to ctb. i hope you find your motivation again soon.

You have it worse than I do. I hope you can get to practice your hobbies one day so It'll make you feel better. But at least you get to look at other's artworks that's what helps me, might help you.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Stick
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
I'd love to my hobby fix me and stop my "s" tendencies.
I guess I'm not good enough at it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, _Minsk and JackieInTheBox
J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
I have thousands of dollars invested in beads. 30 years worth. I'm to depressed to mess with them. I open the cabinet they are in stare at it blankly and close the doors. I can't figure out what I want to create and to depressed to try to figure it out. Once upon a time I could open the cabinet grab supplies create something and sell it without any thought into it. Now I just stare at it blankly sometimes and am over whelmed by it all.

30 years worth?! But good thing you have them. I destroyed 2yrs worth of artwork months ago out of paranoia. I felt bad about it for a month and couldn't do anything. A month later I ended up creating more (hid it better). But now I leave blank pages (similar to what you do when you stare at the cabinet) and leave it there because I don't feel anything. Even so, it'll come back even if it feels like forever. Keep your beads, they'll become treasure.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, Deleted member 4993, BlackPoppet and 1 other person
BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
I think filling your time with something may help IF your depression has no obvious cause.

But if you're depressed due to practical issues, then having a hobby won't fix those issues.

• Love
Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, _Minsk, Stick and 3 others
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
30 years worth?! But good thing you have them. I destroyed 2yrs worth of artwork months ago out of paranoia. I felt bad about it for a month and couldn't do anything. A month later I ended up creating more (hid it better). But now I leave blank pages (similar to what you do when you stare at the cabinet) and leave it there because I don't feel anything. Even so, it'll come back even if it feels like forever. Keep your beads, they'll become treasure.

at the very least my son can sell them for about $5000. I hope one day you look at that blank paper and begin making art out of no where =)

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, _Minsk, Stick and 1 other person
J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
I'd love to my hobby fix me and stop my "s" tendencies.
I guess I'm not good enough at it.

It doesn't fix my tendencies it just makes me forget about them for a while, they can still barge in unannounced.

Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
My new hobby is being a target for bullies on this site. Trying to have a conversation about some articles I've been reading and being accused of trying to scare people and having someone insist what I said cannot possible be true when I was talking about what I read in some articles in a journal on suicide.

Come on everyone call me a troll, call me a liar, abuse me, hurt me real bad, it's all I'm good for as you apparently realized before I did. I've got almost two feet in the grave anyway, might as well go out like I lived being abused.

It seems that mods are very effective on this site. Can't you just report the bullies?
Or you kick the bullies in the nuts really hard. Works wonders.
Horns up!

pdyduc

pdyduc

Aug 4, 2020
So many people in these replies have hobbies, we are living proof that a new hobby doesn't solve each and every problem. I have so many art supplies, and yet they simply sit there and wait for me to use them, collecting dust in the way that time often does. UGH

Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, Deleted member 4993, _Minsk and 2 others
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Wise woman and Celtic sky person
Mar 7, 2020
Collecting Mygalomorph Arachnids and Arthropoda and reptiles and insects is my hobby. With my mental health not being great sometimes it's hard to look after assorted bugs and reptiles. I make myself think of their welfare first. And I sometimes have to force myself to check on them every day and do things for them... because my depression can get really bad.
To top it off my Royal Python struck me in the face today. She held on for about 4 minutes. No real damage was done. She mistook my hand for food and lunges at me and coiled around my wrist. I had her teeth in my cheek for what seemed like forever. It wasn't her fault. Now I feel like I've let her down. She's a rescue and I love her to bits. I feel terrible that she either got spooked or thought I was food. She was around my shoulders at the time. So I now feel doubly useless.

• Hugs
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Not sure if it counts as a hobby or a nerd hobby, but I'm a gamer. Can't do MMOs as much nowadays, but it's a good escape. I like that I can be anything, do anything, and build everything. It doesn't take the problems away, but it's a good distraction on hard days. I can see how hobbies help, but they aren't a cure.

• Love
Reactions: Meditation guide, _Minsk, Stick and 2 others
J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
Collecting Mygalomorph Arachnids and Arthropoda and reptiles and insects is my hobby. With my mental health not being great sometimes it's hard to look after assorted bugs and reptiles. I make myself think of their welfare first. And I sometimes have to force myself to check on them every day and do things for them... because my depression can get really bad.
To top it off my Royal Python struck me in the face today. She held on for about 4 minutes. No real damage was done. She mistook my hand for food and lunges at me and coiled around my wrist. I had her teeth in my cheek for what seemed like forever. It wasn't her fault. Now I feel like I've let her down. She's a rescue and I love her to bits. I feel terrible that she either got spooked or thought I was food. She was around my shoulders at the time. So I now feel doubly useless.

I've never heard of that hobby before. And you're not useless, those critters have you :] I would be too scared to have a snake. not many people would think of homing insects but that's pretty interesting.

BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Mar 7, 2020
I've never heard of that hobby before. And you're not useless, those critters have you :] I would be too scared to have a snake. not many people would think of homing insects but that's pretty interesting.
Thank you. It's basically Tarantula and Scorpion and Millipede and Praying Mantis keeping... As well as Hissing Cockroaches from Madagascar. I've got 3 Snakes too. I'm just having a bad day because my cat had Mammary cancer and we had to have her put to sleep Monday and one of my Cornsnakes escaped and I can't find her. Then my Python tagging me in the face today. I just feel inadequate at the moment. I really appreciate your kind words... So thank you once again. :hug:
I've always liked the more ancient animals. I love Spiders a lot.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Ghost2211, JackieInTheBox and 2 others
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
I have the opposite problem, I spend too much time on my hobbies so I can feel distant from my real life, but it only works on a surface level.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, Deleted member 4993, Ghost2211 and 3 others
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
same, hobbies can help a lot but if health or life are fucked too much they become worthless

Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, Deleted member 4993, BlackPoppet and 2 others
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
I had so many hobbies but I can't enjoy them anymore, I'm burned out of them. The last several days I'm just on this site and reading...

• Hugs
Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria, Deleted member 4993, JackieInTheBox and 2 others
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Mar 7, 2020
I had so many hobbies but I can't enjoy them anymore, I'm burned out of them. The last several days I'm just on this site and reading...
:hug:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and _Minsk
J

JackieInTheBox

Sep 24, 2020
Thank you. It's basically Tarantula and Scorpion and Millipede and Praying Mantis keeping... As well as Hissing Cockroaches from Madagascar. I've got 3 Snakes too. I'm just having a bad day because my cat had Mammary cancer and we had to have her put to sleep Monday and one of my Cornsnakes escaped and I can't find her. Then my Python tagging me in the face today. I just feel inadequate at the moment. I really appreciate your kind words... So thank you once again. :hug:
I've always liked the more ancient animals. I love Spiders a lot.

I just searched what a Millipede is. I would loose my mind.

At least your dear Mammary is in a better place now hopefully with my aunt's bunny (although the bunny can be aggressive but it doesn't bite, not that I'm aware of o-O) Hope you find your corn-snake done playing hide n seek.

<3

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
S

Sk1n1M1n

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
But these hobbies can help you have other things to focus on, so you are not just focused on your situation and have the balance between your situation and having a life.

MeriDeath

MeriDeath

Im on the edge of reality
May 10, 2020
It's not about hobbies. It's about solving the problem you have in your life so you can enjoy not just your hobbies, but life itself. I would tell them to go and get a life. Up until now I really can't fathom why you guys still give a crap about those pro lifers anyway. I have a hobby, my hobby is planning my death. Are they ok with that? Yes? No? I don't care. But anyways on a different note I wish I could enjoy some hobbies, I'm not into anything that involves happiness in it.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Sure, I'll just play video games! What's that? My daily life prevents me from having the time to play them for any longer than two hours a day? Well then, how would you expect me to have time for anything else?

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
When some little cunt with nothing to offer life tells me to get a hobby and I have a zrillion, all of them productive things that also can be a possible high-end career. When that little cunt who literally has nothing, no brains, no skills, no character, nothing she has ever contributed to life whatsoever, a wake of destruction, no social life, no future, NOTHING dares tell me to get a hobby. Then I imagine the cunt roasting very, very slowly alive. And putting a fork in her eye and saying: Suffering much? Get a hobby.

Ps: Oh sorry, I forgot she has recently taken up some kind of whoring training, but she is too ugly, shrivelled, masculine, coarse and stupid to train to be a whore that'd fetch a penny.