• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Definitelyworried

Definitelyworried

Jun 19, 2018
I think it would be lessential painful backwards.

Definitelyworried

Definitelyworried

Jun 19, 2018
Because I think you would hit the back of your head before anything instead of your face or stomach.

Reactions: Tiburcio
C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
In terms of pain, it doesn't matter. Survivors of high jumps have reported feeling regret while free-falling, and there is no safeguarding against what thoughts and emotions you might have during those seconds.

In terms of being able to jump, it stands to reason that backwards is "easier" because you have less control of your own body.

Reactions: Lara Francis
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
In terms of pain, it doesn't matter. Survivors of high jumps have reported feeling regret while free-falling, and there is no safeguarding against what thoughts and emotions you might have during those seconds.

In terms of being able to jump, it stands to reason that backwards is "easier" because you have less control of your own body.

If I write on my arm the reasons why I'm jumping in black marker, would that help with regrets that pop up?

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
If I write on my arm the reasons why I'm jumping in black marker, would that help with regrets that pop up?

I'm going to guess "No."

Again, there's no point in asking about these entirely personal, individual things. Nobody in the world can give you an answer.

Reactions: siray
G

goggleboxers

Student
May 24, 2018

I've read that and it tends to be survivors from the Golden Gate Bridge but I don't believe that EVERYONE who jumps has second thoughts on the way down of course as your body falls your minds no doubt going to think OH but everyone having doubts no I doubt it !! Watch the documentary on YouTube think it's titled Golden Gate Junpers really interesting - watch the last jumper dressed all in black he falls backwards into a dive, keeps his body straight all the way down head first in the water - now if he had doubts his body would thrash try to survive - it doesent - straight body straight in and I believe no doubts

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
I've read that and it tends to be survivors from the Golden Gate Bridge but I don't believe that EVERYONE who jumps has second thoughts

Obviously, it's impossible to know. It does seem unlikely that EVERYONE has second thoughts, but only those who survive can tell us about what thoughts they had on the way down.

There may be testimonials by surivors about not having second thoughts, but I'm not aware of any of those.

G

goggleboxers

Student
May 24, 2018

The link to the Golden Gate suicides - the one I mention earlier the guy in black (he has a name forgive for not knowing) it starts at 4:10 the wait before he jumps I just wish we had watched someone reach out but I guess people just don't realise what is in someone's mind and what they're going to do

Text from YouTube:

"Every person she interviewed admitted that about two thirds of the way down they realised that every seemingly meaningless problem that caused them to jump was fixable. Every single one"

Does that imply every suicide or just jumping ? I mean does someone going the carbon monoxide route not think in the minutes that they're waiting to go unconscious that every problem is fixable ? Doubt it ? Or hanging does every hanger think oh wait every problem is fixable !!

Last edited:
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018

The link to the Golden Gate suicides - the one I mention earlier the guy in black (he has a name forgive for not knowing) it starts at 4:10 the wait before he jumps I just wish we had watched someone reach out but I guess people just don't realise what is in someone's mind and what they're going to do

Text from YouTube:

"Every person she interviewed admitted that about two thirds of the way down they realised that every seemingly meaningless problem that caused them to jump was fixable. Every single one"

Does that imply every suicide or just jumping ? I mean does someone going the carbon monoxide route not think in the minutes that they're waiting to go unconscious that every problem is fixable ? Doubt it ? Or hanging does every hanger think oh wait every problem is fixable !!

That's just their lizard brain kicking in

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018

No other method of suicide can be compared to jumping. With jumping, you have a few seconds of conscious certainty that you are about to die, and that there's nothing you can do to stop it.

With carbon monoxide, you CAN abort the attempt if you want to, and even before you lose consciousness, your mind and senses are dulled. People die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning all the time - they don't realize that anything is wrong until they're too dulled to do anything. With intentional carbon monoxide poisoning, you know that you can abort the attempt, but you don't know for how long.

Hanging is nothing like jumping either - you're immediately physically compromised, and yes - of course it's common to instinctively try to stop. For partial suspension, you do need to lean into it, but unconsciousness comes within seconds. However, it's entirely different from jumping, because if you stop leaning into it, your attempt stops.

Jumping forces you to reckon with your choice in a way that these other methods do not.

It almost seems like you're upset that they report that every surviving jumper felt regret.

Reactions: siray and Salvacion
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
No other method of suicide can be compared to jumping. With jumping, you have a few seconds of conscious certainty that you are about to die, and that there's nothing you can do to stop it.

With carbon monoxide, you CAN abort the attempt if you want to, and even before you lose consciousness, your mind and senses are dulled. People die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning all the time - they don't realize that anything is wrong until they're too dulled to do anything. With intentional carbon monoxide poisoning, you know that you can abort the attempt, but you don't know for how long.

Hanging is nothing like jumping either - you're immediately physically compromised, and yes - of course it's common to instinctively try to stop. For partial suspension, you do need to lean into it, but unconsciousness comes within seconds. However, it's entirely different from jumping, because if you stop leaning into it, your attempt stops.

Jumping forces you to reckon with your choice in a way that these other methods do not.

It almost seems like you're upset that they report that every surviving jumper felt regret.

Their lizard brain tells them to feel regret

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
Their lizard brain tells them to feel regret

Maybe. Maybe not.

There are quite a few people who study suicide for a living. Amongst their findings is that many suicides are very spontaneous. Another finding is that most people who are talked down from jumping don't make another attempt. Yet another is that women attempt suicide more often than men, but tend to choose the least effective method - pill overdose.

Maybe jumping is popular with the spontaneous crowd. There are a million variables, so who these people were/are and why they felt what they felt is impossible to know.