N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Some days ago I wanted to make a funny thread with a title "How would SS would be like if there were influencers on it and you could get ad revenue". But I was not sure whether this joke would have been to too morbid. I was not sure if this would be okay (morally good) to make this joke. Now there could start this discussion whether jokes should be politicially correct or not. But this was not my intial thought about it.

Are there boundaries about what to make jokes about on this site? Of course we should not make hurtful jokes about each other. It seems to so virtual this whole forum but on the other side of the PCs there are other human beings.

I think humor can take the edges off pain. Many like to cope with dark humor. WIttgenstein said the most serious and profound questions could only be discussed in forms of jokes. Humors and irony is often a way how I cope. In my darkest time I made many jokes about my pain. It was like a cry for help. I experienced something that was so unbelievably painful that no words could be enough to describe it. Something which was so painful it made me partly insane. This was all so cynical and absurd in some sense. Laughing about it was the only thing I had. It comforted me in some way that I could look through the cynical charade that I had to endure. But my logic and rational thinking could not help me. No words or expressions of my pain could really ease it.

Reactions: katagiri83, lostundead, ColorlessTrees and 3 others
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Anytime's the right time for humor and memeing,
this-dark-souls-boss-this-doesnt-look-astolfo-rider-suce-meme-6b7fd8ec8f43b087-ca2fa0304a21a2de.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Looooser and waitingforrest
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think humor is not appropriate at all personally. There is nothing funny about suffering so much that you want to die. Most of the 'humor' I have seen on here in the past comes across as trolling, no offence. To me there is nothing to laugh about in a world as horrible as this. I find any form of comedy and jokes to be unbearable.

• Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83, Sherri, demuic and 3 others
Sanva

Sanva

:/
Dec 10, 2021
it's appropriate as long as it doesn't disrespect anyone else. people cope in different ways.

• Love
Reactions: Silenos, WhiteRabbit, markimobzzdeasui and 8 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Wittgenstein said the most serious and profound questions could only be discussed in forms of jokes.
Could you please stop reiterating this alleged Wittgenstein quote? It is most likely a misquotation of this:

"It is worth noting that Wittgenstein once said that a serious and good philosophical work could be written that would consist entirely of jokes (without being facetious)."

Norman Malcolm, Ludwig Wittgenstein: A Memoir

Reactions: LONE WOLF. and Manaaja
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
I think humor is not appropriate at all personally. There is nothing funny about suffering so much that you want to die. Most of the 'humor' I have seen on here in the past comes across as trolling, no offence. To me there is nothing to laugh about in a world as horrible as this. I find any form of comedy and jokes to be unbearable.
I too think anyone exhibiting a sense of humour should get the hard ban

• Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, rationaltake, GentleJerk and 5 others
Somber

Somber

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2022
There was a funny thread by @Chinaski about a suicide method named Natural Causes where the gist was that you commit suicide by dying from old age. Most people seemed to catch on quickly and were making jokes about the method in turn.

While it's always difficult to see the line between appropriate and hurtful humour, I definitely believe in the benefits of laughter for suicidal people.

It sure made my day. If anyone makes a joke at my expense I won't hold it against them, but I won't make any at anyone else's expense myself (at least not intentionally).

Reactions: cocainenosejobs, WhiteRabbit, ColorlessTrees and 1 other person
Dysgenic Pup

Dysgenic Pup

A canine that’s not so heavenly.
Sep 18, 2021
I think anyone that makes a joke on here should be publicly humiliated, dishonored, and exiled.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, rationaltake, Sanva and 6 others
I

ImpulsiveFreak

Feb 18, 2022
I feel like humor can be somewhat cathartic in some ways especially when feeling really suicidal at least that's how I feel. Definitely depends on how it's used, though I guess everyone reacts differently. I can understand how a lot of people might feel a strong aversion to making light of a dark situation or find it offensive. Sorry if this offends anyone

Reactions: Looooser and ennuied
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
You're going to get different personalities that deal with this life in different ways. As long as it's light and respectful then it's fine. I play it safe knowing most of us here are pretty sensitive.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Looooser and Nolan96
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022

Laughing was/is probably my favorite part of life. It's good to try and laugh once in awhile.

• Yay!
Reactions: Looooser and Foresight
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Try to read anything in two different modes: Joke and serious, and you'll get two different meanings (including this post)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, markimobzzdeasui and Looooser
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
When it's not funny other than to the psycho saying it. Threats that are later revealed to be "just a joke." Hilarious it is not. Just fucking with people for their own amusement

ennuied

ennuied

Jan 11, 2022
I wasn't aware that there was such a strong aversion to humor on SS, I guess I overestimated how many people use banter/jokes as a coping method. I will keep that in mind though, you usually just have to play it by ear and maybe stick to self-deprecation or non-sequiturs until you know someone's sensitivity/comfort level with dark humor.

Reactions: Looooser
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Humor doesn't help me in my lowest moments. It often feels dismissive. I've spent a lot of my life wishing people would just be sincere and human instead of treating things that are sensitive or meaningful to me as a joke.

That's not me asking for comedic content to be purged or changed in any way really. Sometimes I do have a dark sense of humor myself, usually when I'm doing a little bit better. Just wanted to share my perspective.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, Looooser and demuic
Kristicide

Kristicide

I am a prisoner locked up behind xanax bars
Dec 16, 2021
For me personally I like to sometimes deal with pain through humor. I wouldn't do it at anyone else's expense to make fun of them. Depends what the thread is but normally if I try to be cute it'll be in the off topic forum.

Reactions: Looooser
MsSelfsabotage

MsSelfsabotage

Feb 7, 2022
It depends, you can't please everybody. Some people might get offended, however if I don't like something, I don't look at it, I just scroll and move on. I personally love dark, sarcastic humor, helps me cope. I feel like since we're all in the same boat here and have the same ctb mindset, we share a certain humor and can laugh about some ctb stuff that "others/ normal" people won't understand. Some users make me laugh cause of their snarky, dark humor comments.

There was one thread and the comments of one user had me in tears, I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Someone complained about this forum and how bad it is and the responses were genius. Still smiling about it cause the irony: IMG 8400 IMG 8399

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, ColorlessTrees and Looooser
L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
It's not what you say it's how you say it. I think that holds true to all aspects of communication. Also know your audience but also don't get butt hurt about stuff. Everyone deals with life differently so instead of getting all pissed off and arguing just try to be more assertive and just say "that's inappropriate" and move on. I think we all have bigger issues we're dealing with than letting some stupid joke ruin your day. So either laugh it off or just move on.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, MsSelfsabotage, LONE WOLF. and 1 other person
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Could you please stop reiterating this alleged Wittgenstein quote? It is most likely a misquotation of this:

"It is worth noting that Wittgenstein once said that a serious and good philosophical work could be written that would consist entirely of jokes (without being facetious)."

Norman Malcolm, Ludwig Wittgenstein: A Memoir
Okay I did not know that. David Foster Wallace said that about Wittgenstein in an interview.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
A lot of my posts are black humour, and usually get a positive response. Unless most people are politely holding back from giving me the dreaded "Hmmph". When you get to know someone, humour usually becomes increasingly acceptable because it is clear that they have no ill-intent.

Reactions: lostundead, Somber, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Maybe dark humour should be more suitable? Just a thought.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I don't get it. Can you be more explicit?

This is a result of languages ambiguity and it means there is no line because it's always situational.

The post:

Serious: What's written is ambiguous and it could be interpreted both as a joke and serious.

Joke: Everything is a joke lol

Reactions: Somber
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I appreciate your point of view. But we are all different. I have a twisted sense of humour. I really am in agony and want to ctb. But I still make dark jokes about it all which make me laugh.