TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This is something that out of curiosity that I wondered whether others shared similar sentiments or experiences with the mental health system and such when growing up. Here is a mini-story of when I first learned about the mental health system and back when I was young and impressionable.

Short brief story (from when TAW122 was young):
I recall that as young as an elementary school kid back in the 90's, while I lacked critical thinking skills, common sense, vocabulary, and knowledge of the system, I used to think that all I had to do was follow the law and follow the rules (as my parents, school, and to some extent, peers taught), then there would be no trouble! However, this was all just a baldfaced lie. What's insidious is that despite following the law and rules meant you didn't get in trouble and that these counselors (before I known were 'mandated reporters') were considered heroes and people who are trustworthy. Truth be told though, since they are mandated reporters and have some legal responsibility, if there was any red flag or any problem of harm (including to oneself or others) they would have to take action. Never did I learn about the system and it's paternalistic and invasive actions until I was a teenager, which by then I had some critical thinking skills and some level of skepticism, but still lacked general common sense (so I was gullible at certain areas of logic). However! I then realized something was wrong and didn't sit right with me at the timeā€¦ I asked myself "How could me following the law, following the rules, and doing the right things, still result in the (temporary) deprivation of my freedom, invasion of privacy, interrogation, and other paternalistic interventions against my will?" Of course, as a young naive kid back then, I realized something wasn't 'right', was 'messed up', and just didn't have the right terminology to identify the issue. However, I also wasn't completely oblivious towards what was happening, even when I never fully connected the dots like I did when I was a young adult.

When and how did you first learn about the invasive, paternalistic, and authoritarian practices of the mental health system, and institutions in society? I suppose I learned when I was young, but never fully realized it and the extent of the harm it is until I was much older. Ever since then I've always viewed them as opposition and threats towards my bodily autonomy and right to CTB.

Edit: While I was never incarcerated, locked up nor detained in a psych ward or facility against my will, just learning about the horrors and how I was questioned about risk, threat assessment, and interrogated about my personal life was enough for me to believe how insidious, carceral, and paternalistic the system is. Since adulthood and even to present day, I've always looked at the MHS with disdain, distrust, and it's malevolent practices. I'm fortunate that I never admitted to CTB ideations, plans, or harms when I interacted with MHPs back when I was younger. At best, these MHPs all have some vested interest in keeping their client, patient, or whoever alive (mostly through legal mandates - which I can understand) and wouldn't have been useful for whatever I was struggling with. I don't think I ever found a long term solution for my problems through them nor did they ever help me with my goals (it was either through other sources and/or my own personal research and homework as well as great efforts and toils that I prevailed/succeeded in some goals that I had. Also, especially in the last few years, I've decided that I no longer wish to gamble with my negative liberty rights and freedom so not only do I refrain from wasting my time and money (I live in the US) seeing them, I also avoid having the risk of incarceration or detainment by not interacting with them. (This thread explains about how one cannot be honest with them due to risk of intervention.)

@Forever Sleep @FuneralCry

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Hollowman, Kit1, Forever Sleep and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I can't really recall when I found out but much, much later than you. I suppose I was aware of mental health facilities. I guess I knew that you could be sectioned but I didn't really connect it with suicide or rather- attempted suicide till much later.

I think for a long while, I pretty stupidly believed that suicide was more straight forward than it actually is. I was too taken in by the film versions maybe. Maybe somehow I suspected though- because, while I toyed with all sorts of methods in my head- from the age of 10, I never actually attempted.

I maybe didn't really realise till my early 20's, when I started watching documentaries on suicide and psyche wards. Really, it was only when I joined here that I found out just how likely it is you will be sectioned after an attempt and yeah- it frightens me- definitely.

I think I'd threaten to try and sue if anyone tried to take me to a psyche ward. I'd definitely ask for a phone call to a solicitor. Not sure whether that would help though.

• Hugs
Reactions: TAW122 and Kit1
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
When the invasive and paternalistic practices were foisted on me.

I had been actually engaging with the MH system for a decade when that happened. All that time I never felt for a day that receiving "treatment" was out of the ordinary even though I knew other kids did not take medicine or go to therapy and therefore had no feelings of shame or difference or whatever about it. But hospitals do an excellent job of othering their patients, of sending them the message that they are aberrant and abnormal and contemptible. So that comfort I felt pretty much vanished.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: TAW122
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me šŸ’™
Nov 1, 2023
When I got to the ward...

• Aww..
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
I can't really recall when I found out but much, much later than you. I suppose I was aware of mental health facilities. I guess I knew that you could be sectioned but I didn't really connect it with suicide or rather- attempted suicide till much later.

I think for a long while, I pretty stupidly believed that suicide was more straight forward than it actually is. I was too taken in by the film versions maybe. Maybe somehow I suspected though- because, while I toyed with all sorts of methods in my head- from the age of 10, I never actually attempted.

I maybe didn't really realise till my early 20's, when I started watching documentaries on suicide and psyche wards. Really, it was only when I joined here that I found out just how likely it is you will be sectioned after an attempt and yeah- it frightens me- definitely.

I think I'd threaten to try and sue if anyone tried to take me to a psyche ward. I'd definitely ask for a phone call to a solicitor. Not sure whether that would help though.
Yeah, reality really tells a different story and gives a different experience than what is shown in the movies. I always believed that movies are just there to entertain and exaggerate things, but does a poor job depicting reality. As for methods, yes a lot of people (incorrectly) believe that some of the popular methods are easy to execute, yet they seem to ignore and forget about the SI (survival instinct) as well as other things that make CTB difficult, including the risk of failure with poor execution, planning, preparation, or even faulty materials used for CTB'ing.

Finally with regards to suing, I would have loved that, however, given the paternalistic, prohibitive pro-life society that errs on the side of the 'sanctity of life', I don't find that one may have an easy time to do so. And in order to prove medical malpractice as well as third party malice, it may be a tall order to fulfill (and IANAL but I've done some homework as well as spoken to people who know a bit about law).

When the invasive and paternalistic practices were foisted on me.

I had been actually engaging with the MH system for a decade when that happened. All that time I never felt for a day that receiving "treatment" was out of the ordinary even though I knew other kids did not take medicine or go to therapy and therefore had no feelings of shame or difference or whatever about it. But hospitals do an excellent job of othering their patients, of sending them the message that are aberrant and abnormal and contemptible. So that comfort I felt pretty much vanished.
I'm sorry to hear about your shitty experiences with the MH system and the harms that you incurred. What you said is pretty much accurate and sadly, a lot of people don't seem to care let alone find out about how shitty the MH system and wards are in general. Worst yet, you have apologists and proponents who defend said system and justify how the paternalistic, degrading and traumatizing intervention was some benevolent thing despite the consequences and aftermath of such an event.

When I got to the ward...
Sorry to hear that and the fact that you experienced first hand suffering from the MH system.

Reactions: penguinl0v3s and Forever Sleep
AInilam

AInilam

Student
Dec 17, 2023
From personal experience and also I had a friend who also frequented this site, who introduced me to it. I had tried to talk him down from ctbing a year before I'd attempt myself. In retrospect, there are a few things that really resonated with me--one was how he kept insisting on not failing this time around because of just how much he feared being put back into the psych ward. To me that speaks volumes. I don't know what became of them as we lost contact, but it seems to be a common experience and source of trauma for people who've been in that situation, myself included.

• Aww..
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
From personal experience and also I had a friend who also frequented this site, who introduced me to it. I had tried to talk him down from ctbing a year before I'd attempt myself. In retrospect, there are a few things that really resonated with me--one was how he kept insisting on not failing this time around because of just how much he feared being put back into the psych ward. To me that speaks volumes. I don't know what became of them as we lost contact, but it seems to be a common experience and source of trauma for people who've been in that situation, myself included.
I hope your friend has been able to find peace after all the suffering, whether it is recovery or exiting this world.