Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Apparently, by 2035, half of all adults will be overweight.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm ashamed to say I'm part of the problem... I would say I very likely had binge eating disorder at one point and I still don't have a great relationship with food.

I think processed food is a MASSIVE problem. I got much healthier when I cut all that out. I think the food industry itself is pretty evil though. They pack foods with sugar, salt and fat because they KNOW it makes us crave more. Governments have known the dangers of sugar and it's links to diabetes and other illnesses for decades but- just like the alcohol and tobacco industries- they get money from these big corporations- so- they largely turned a blind eye. Yes- there are more warnings now but we're already hooked!

What do I feel though? Embarassed, disgusted- but that goes the same for a lot of things to do with the human race!

• Hugs
Reactions: GreenGlassDoor, Sweet Tart, Remeer and 4 others
sulli

sulli

Student
Jan 25, 2023
i'm anorexic and it makes my thoughts on these matters very unkind.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart and Remeer
Rocinante

Rocinante

My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Aug 26, 2022
Dink and eat water only

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Part of the problem is that the body-shaming narrative has made it politically incorrect to have a mature conversation about the health issues of obesity. But as individuals, even a basic effort towards fitness goes a long way.

Reactions: BornHated
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Part of the problem is that the body-shaming narrative has made it politically incorrect to have a mature conversation about the health issues of obesity. But as individuals, even a basic effort towards fitness goes a long way.
I saw a yahoo news article about a woman acting hysterical when her obgyn said she needed to lose 40 pounds before considering having a child. I look at obesity as an indicator of weak character. I was fat once for 2 yrs and lost the weight by counting calories.

Being fat was so uncomfortable. I felt hot all the time and my skin felt dry and scratchy. Walking around was a pain.

Reactions: epic
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As much as I like to enjoy tasty foods, I can't say that it would be good for my health or cause long term health problems.

Reactions: epic
epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
"Eat to live , don't live to eat" - Gandhi .
"2 Quarter Pounder with cheese, 1 Chicken McNugget, 1 Big Mac and a vanilla shake to wash it down " - Americans

• Yay!
Reactions: Ambivalent1
sulli

sulli

Student
Jan 25, 2023

Well worth the watch.

HAHA he's absolutely right, though i personally don't usually judge people on their bodies, only on gluttony. but if i'm in a stressful situation like grocery shopping or in line at a restaurant all bets are off 😆 i keep my toxic thoughts to myself though ofc

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Tart
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Gluttons will fuel the fires of Hell

• Yay!
Reactions: sulli and epic
Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I dunno. I don't think we ought to be mean about it. If someone overeats to cope with whatever bullshit they have going on in their life then that's none of my god damn business. The same way it's not my business if people starve themselves or smoke or do drugs or whatever. Of course gluttony shouldn't be encouraged, and if someone is endangering thier health we should encourage them to seek help. But I believe in compassion first, in all issues. I don't think shaming people brings about any kind of positive change.

Reactions: Sweet Tart and jazzcat
Remeer

Remeer

Mar 8, 2023
unfortunately it is a current and growing trend due to the food industry with its products full of additives and appetite stimulants
My opinion is that what you are commenting is intentionally provoked, you have poorly fed but fat people, that feeds the pharmaceutical industry, the fitness industry, you move the economy based on pain and suffering and perhaps other things
the problem is evident, and that directly affects mental health
greetings, be well

Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
I am skeptical that anything happening on a massive scale (bad pun) is happening due to individual choice. Of course individuals are responsible for our own choices to a great degree- but if something is happening so broadly (sorry, lol), that half the world's population is concerned, I think it's rational to consider that factors outside individual choice are at play. Idk what factors are responsible for the world's human population increasing in weight- certainly there are a number of likely culprits related to processed foods, plastics contaminating food and water supply (many are known to be endocrine disruptors & the endocrine system is responsible for storing and dealing with fat), etc.

In my own experience as a person with a history of multiple EDs as well as 2 endocrine conditions that affect weight and cause difficulty with weight loss... I am totally fucked. These days I binge and restrict, but my idea of a binge is what many people would consider normal. I tell myself that my body was built to survive famine, cause I've starved myself and did not lose weight. It can be frustrating to hear people equate fat with gluttony but I respect everyone's opinions here and do not take anything personally.

Reactions: BornHated and Ambivalent1
BornHated

BornHated

God may judge, but his sins outnumber your own.
Nov 19, 2022
I am skeptical that anything happening on a massive scale (bad pun) is happening due to individual choice. Of course individuals are responsible for our own choices to a great degree- but if something is happening so broadly (sorry, lol), that half the world's population is concerned, I think it's rational to consider that factors outside individual choice are at play. Idk what factors are responsible for the world's human population increasing in weight- certainly there are a number of likely culprits related to processed foods, plastics contaminating food and water supply (many are known to be endocrine disruptors & the endocrine system is responsible for storing and dealing with fat), etc.

In my own experience as a person with a history of multiple EDs as well as 2 endocrine conditions that affect weight and cause difficulty with weight loss... I am totally fucked. These days I binge and restrict, but my idea of a binge is what many people would consider normal. I tell myself that my body was built to survive famine, cause I've starved myself and did not lose weight. It can be frustrating to hear people equate fat with gluttony but I respect everyone's opinions here and do not take anything personally.
No, you're right. I did early med school in my country and studied Biotech, really wanted to study epigenetics. Weight is multifactoral.
I noticed it moving out of the US, even. The hormones and feed allowed for livestock in my current country are far more strict, and the moment I moved here I started losing a bunch of weight. Both of my parents did, too, despite no other real major changes in lifestyle. I've always been mostly sedentary. I eat even worse than I did in the US and I'm not obese.

Epigenetic studies I've read of have pointed out that one the "aggressively store fat" gene is activated, it's almost impossible to turn off again.

I will say that the time I DID fix my diet responsibly (with more up to date knowledge on gut flora, no calorie counting) was the most lucid, mentally well time period of my life. My mother hated seeing my body look better so she banned me from keeping it up and re-adding all those carbs made me sluggish and slow again, but I strongly believe that doing so just for health reasons even if you can't lose all the weight is important.

Sadly research isn't being done because I also suspect one of the biggest issues contributing to how we metabolize has to do with our insane working hours forcing us to be sedentary and messing up our sleep cycles. Humans are a cursorial primate species that evolved to metabolize fat as an adaptation to colder climates/ seasons and sexual dimorphic reasons. Mix the unhealthy farmed animals whose flesh we feed on almost daily and of course we look the way we do.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LittleJem and Sweet Tart
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
No, you're right. I did early med school in my country and studied Biotech, really wanted to study epigenetics. Weight is multifactoral.
I noticed it moving out of the US, even. The hormones and feed allowed for livestock in my current country are far more strict, and the moment I moved here I started losing a bunch of weight. Both of my parents did, too, despite no other real major changes in lifestyle. I've always been mostly sedentary. I eat even worse than I did in the US and I'm not obese.

Epigenetic studies I've read of have pointed out that one the "aggressively store fat" gene is activated, it's almost impossible to turn off again.

I will say that the time I DID fix my diet responsibly (with more up to date knowledge on gut flora, no calorie counting) was the most lucid, mentally well time period of my life. My mother hated seeing my body look better so she banned me from keeping it up and re-adding all those carbs made me sluggish and slow again, but I strongly believe that doing so just for health reasons even if you can't lose all the weight is important.

Sadly research isn't being done because I also suspect one of the biggest issues contributing to how we metabolize has to do with our insane working hours forcing us to be sedentary and messing up our sleep cycles. Humans are a cursorial primate species that evolved to metabolize fat as an adaptation to colder climates/ seasons and sexual dimorphic reasons. Mix the unhealthy farmed animals whose flesh we feed on almost daily and of course we look the way we do.
This is so validating and really interesting as well. I kinda wish I'd been diagnosed (with T1 diabetes and PCOS) before deciding my course of study, because endocrinology and genetics are so fascinating. Biotech sounds like a cool field with a lot of different types of work. I hope you are able to do something that interests you.

Also... your mom sounds rude. I'm sorry she couldn't just let you be as you were.

• Love
Reactions: BornHated
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Oh, I though you were thinking about something like a pie eating orgy.

Answer: I don't eat much. Thin like a twig. My alcohol belly looks really weird.
Obviously there's a genetic predisposition at play. My little birds have told me that in America people are fat. But I live in Europe and I don't find this to be the rule. And I don't condone junk food in general. I don't really like it. My stomach turns a bit when I'm looking at a BigMac. Can only eat it in complete darkness. But generally, I don't care. I certainly don't have the right to criticize, me and my alcoholic hunger belly that's growing unsettlingly fast.

Last edited:
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Oh, I though you were thinking about something like a pie eating orgy.

Answer: I don't eat much. Thin like a twig. My alcohol belly looks really weird.
Obviously there's a genetic predisposition at play. My little birds have told me that in America people are fat. But I live in Europe and I don't find this to be the rule. And I don't condone junk food in general. I don't really like it. My stomach turns a bit when I'm looking at a BigMac. Can only eat it in complete darkness. But generally, I don't care. I certainly don't have the right to criticize, me and my alcoholic hunger belly that's growing unsettlingly fast.
Would hard liquor lead to a belly?

GreenGlassDoor

GreenGlassDoor

life is but a dream
Oct 25, 2023
Binge ED check♡
I hate this and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Its just deppressing to look and standards of fitness and diet in the past and compare it to today. What a world.

Reactions: eatantz