N

noname223

Archangel
Aug 18, 2020
I am bipolar. Approximately 25-50 % of people with bipolar try at least one suiicide attempt. Round about 15-30% ctb. I cannot imagine who to deny the option suicide with this illness. Moreover I think I have a severe kind of bipolar disorder. I know many people wtih bipolar who deal with this shit way better than me. Or they had luck like having a boyfriend who pays the bills.
I think the main reasons why people ctb with this illness is poverty (just like me) and that the illness often proceed in cycles. (I think I won't survive another severe depression)
What is the suicide rate of your illness and what do you think is the main reason why they ctb?

• Hugs
Reactions: western_heart, Catlovergirl, JGT1 and 9 others
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I probably have unipolar disorder (depression + dysthymia) so between 10 and 20% imo

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, noname223 and Dead Meat
Lutembëe

Lutembëe

Student
Feb 19, 2020
I'm also bipolar (type 2)...

• Hugs
Reactions: Catlovergirl, Dead Meat and noname223
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
According to this article 70% of people with bpd will attempt and 10% succeed.
bdp really does feel like you're a burn victim emotionally which is why i tend to avoid people. Also the black and white thinking is horrible. And its very easy to get into something and take it to the extreme. At least in my case.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Jbones, Catlovergirl, fly away and 5 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I'm in the same situation as you.
Also, money worries me a lot. I've been able to start working again but I'm like "Damn, I'm way too unstable. I might end up as a homeless person someday"
I just don't know what will happen and my anxiety level is in the clouds.

• Hugs
Reactions: onthelastday, Dead Meat and noname223
N

noname223

Archangel
Aug 18, 2020
My anxiety is really high too. Soon there is a decision about my future that frightens me a lot. It could accelerate everything in warp speed. I might have to buy SN if it gets too serious for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: yosi, Dead Meat and WornOutLife
FreeAngel

FreeAngel

Student
Mar 3, 2021
I have Borderline

Suicide rate: 5% to 10%
Self-injuries rate: 69% to 80%

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Jbones, bad luck, Sensei and 1 other person
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
I'd say if I calculated the suicide probability of all my mental illnesses combined I'd be close enough to 100% lol
BPD- 10%
Anorexia- 20% (some suicide, some physical complications)
OCD- ?
Depression- ?
Autism- ?

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Jbones, Catlovergirl, Rabitfever and 2 others
nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021

I've seen several different studies on the suicide epidemic in the autistic populations of different countries and none of them exactly inspire optimism.

• Aww..
Reactions: Jbones, JGT1, gtrfvr and 1 other person
suffocatingseraphim

suffocatingseraphim

⸙𖦹killing the self as to protect it from harm𖦹⸙
Feb 6, 2020
I have a few diagnosed disorders/ comorbidities so, there's a few percentages

here's what I've got:
Bipolar 2: 15-30%
OCD: around 43%(?) also listed to be 10 times more likely to die by suicide
ADHD: 0.02% success rate
Eating Disorder (anorexia/bulimia): 3-5%
PTSD: couldn't find the success rate, but attempt rate is 27%

The long and short of it, it's a recipe for disaster. I've already had about 3-4 attempts

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Jbones, Dear Agony, JGT1 and 3 others
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
For autism I believe a 3 x higher rate than average for suicide and 28 x higher rate than average for suicidal thoughts.

Reactions: mediocre
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm afraid to get diagnosed for any potential illnesses I have beyond major depression and anxiety because I fear if it really turns out I have something like ADD or Asperger's or BPD I fear I would abuse these labels and start making excuses for myself (not saying anyone else who has these conditions acts this way, I just know for a fact that I would).

I don't know what the data is for the suicide rate among lonely men, though I'm a little suspicious of the homicide rate. I probably need to die before it gets that bad.

Reactions: poisonedminds and TessB
T

TessB

Warlock
Oct 13, 2020
According to this article 70% of people with bpd will attempt and 10% succeed.
bdp really does feel like you're a burn victim emotionally which is why i tend to avoid people. Also the black and white thinking is horrible. And its very easy to get into something and take it to the extreme. At least in my case.
Oh my god yes same! The black and white thinking I mean. People are the best person in the world, I love them, then I hate them, they're evil and I block them. And I keep coming up with insane schemes that will make my fortune, spend loads of money and get all excited, then realise it's the biggest load of crap idea and dump it. Living with my mind is like letting someone off their face drunk drive your car while you are the passenger with no control over what happens.
I'm afraid to get diagnosed for any potential illnesses I have beyond major depression and anxiety because I fear if it really turns out I have something like ADD or Asperger's or BPD I fear I would abuse these labels and start making excuses for myself (not saying anyone else who has these conditions acts this way, I just know for a fact that I would).

I don't know what the data is for the suicide rate among lonely men, though I'm a little suspicious of the homicide rate. I probably need to die before it gets that bad.
This is so true. I think I do that with bpd like sometimes I do something and if I didn't have that diagnosis it would just simply be me being an asshole.. so then how do I know whether it's the bpd making me do these things or if I'm just a bit of a shitty person at times? So I just choose to say it's the bpd.. not sure it's always the truth though.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: bad luck, lofticries, shattered dreams and 1 other person
S

suicidal257

Nov 24, 2020
For autism I believe a 3 x higher rate than average for suicide and 28 x higher rate than average for suicidal thoughts.
I've found a study where 10x mortality from suicide was reported vs a control group.

• Aww..
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and JustAMatterOfTime
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I suffer from bipolar disorder II. The most common estimate for bipolar disorder I've seen is 20 %, slightly higher for type II than type I. As far as I know no other group in society comes close to this. (Anorexia nervosa is the most lethal mental health condition, but not due to suicide.)

• Hugs
Reactions: bad luck, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and TessB
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Autism: Around 35% attempt or have a plan, 7-9x more likely to die from suicide
PTSD: there's not a lot of data out there for this, but several studies have shown 27% attempt
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Also not a lot of hard data, but 6x more likely to die from suicide, risk of attempt in some countries is 12.5% and in others studies have shown a whopping 26.8% attempt and succeed.
Chronic pain/fibromyalgia: 10x more likely to die of suicide. 16.7% attempt.
IBS: 5% attempt rate, not sure how many succeed in carrying it out.

Doing some math on the percentage of attempts, I calculated the probability of an attempted CTB attempt for someone with all my conditions, since we want to know if any of these attempted events would occur. Obviously will be imperfect, as most of the data I collected varies by country.

86.2% chance of attempted ctb if you add all these probabilities, since I want to know if I will ctb from any of these conditions.

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and demuic
Lucien

Lucien

A Nameless Monster
Mar 7, 2021
I have a few diagnosed disorders/ comorbidities so, there's a few percentages

here's what I've got:
Bipolar 2: 15-30%
OCD: around 43%(?) also listed to be 10 times more likely to die by suicide
ADHD: 0.02% success rate
Eating Disorder (anorexia/bulimia): 3-5%
PTSD: couldn't find the success rate, but attempt rate is 27%

The long and short of it, it's a recipe for disaster. I've already had about 3-4 attempts
Having trouble believing the figure for OCD. If it's close to true it sounds like a death blow for any self-esteem the psychiatric system has left.

Edit: Came across this recently. "Groundbreaking surgery" sticks out as odd wording given the subject matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dear Agony, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Sensei
shattered dreams

shattered dreams

Student
Jun 5, 2018
I have fetal alcohol syndrome and found this. Average age of death is 34 and the #1 cause is suicide. The suicide rate is 15%.

RedRumThisLoser

RedRumThisLoser

Sep 6, 2020
I was diagnosed schizoaffective and Google says the completed suicide rate of schizophrenia is 10%.

Lucien

Lucien

A Nameless Monster
Mar 7, 2021
Autism: Around 35% attempt or have a plan, 7-9x more likely to die from suicide
PTSD: there's not a lot of data out there for this, but several studies have shown 27% attempt
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Also not a lot of hard data, but 6x more likely to die from suicide, risk of attempt in some countries is 12.5% and in others studies have shown a whopping 26.8% attempt and succeed.
Chronic pain/fibromyalgia: 10x more likely to die of suicide. 16.7% attempt.
IBS: 5% attempt rate, not sure how many succeed in carrying it out.

Doing some math on the percentage of attempts, I calculated the probability of an attempted CTB attempt for someone with all my conditions, since we want to know if any of these attempted events would occur. Obviously will be imperfect, as most of the data I collected varies by country.

86.2% chance of attempted ctb if you add all these probabilities, since I want to know if I will ctb from any of these conditions.
If you're just adding them together I don't see how you can extract anything meaningful. That's being very generous and considering the classification of these mental illnesses is correct (Based on what axioms I wonder?) and the methodology of their survey was excellent. When they update the DSM a couple of years from now they could just strike out Autism, OCD and PTSD and lump it under, oh I don't know, Neurotic Disagreeable Person Disorder. They might even get a raise for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: noname223 and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I honestly don't know for avoidant personality disorder. There is very little knowledge/research about this disorder. I guess because we all hide away from everything so no one is bothered by us/don't see the problem lol.

Chronic depression is probably a bit higher, but in general I'm a bit hesitant about these numbers and usually think the research is a bit subpar.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dear Agony and demuic
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
If you're just adding them together I don't see how you can extract anything meaningful. That's being very generous and considering the classification of these mental illnesses is correct (Based on what axioms I wonder?) and the methodology of their survey was excellent. When they update the DSM a couple of years from now they could just strike out Autism, OCD and PTSD and lump it under, oh I don't know, Neurotic Disagreeable Person Disorder. They might even get a raise for it.
Yes I agree, there's no real way to tell the true numbers. Considering psychiatry told me for years I was just a little depressed when I had glaring developmental issues and abnormal blood results (that they refused to test for till it was too late.)

Similar to how women who wanted to run away from their husbands were diagnosed with "hysteria" I believe a lot of these diagnoses will be thrown in the bin as empirical evidence proves certain things to be neurological and not psychological mental illnesses. Likewise, ptsd is a natural response to being abused and witnessing some of the worst horrors mankind has to offer.

They'd be far more accurate if they labeled it correctly and acknowledge the pain and fear stemming from it is a result of the worlds cruelty and not a "deficiet of psychology". You can't think your way out of ptsd, but they'd really like to make you think that so they can keep blaming you for your intrinsic response to trauma that is more often than not, somatic in nature.

• Love
Reactions: wait.what, EmbraceOfTheVoid, demuic and 1 other person
bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
Alcoholism, depression, anxiety, times of agoraphobia, "peculiar" personality, IQ 120. (I think the smarter the more depression) I have seen very high percentages with my conditions and my social and precarious situation. Many traumas. You've really dated various things almost reaching 39 years old. With qualified professionals. I think in my case it could have a little more than 50%. I have had hypomanic moments but since they cannot be evaluated by a professional they are still off the list.

suffocatingseraphim

suffocatingseraphim

⸙𖦹killing the self as to protect it from harm𖦹⸙
Feb 6, 2020
Having trouble believing the figure for OCD. If it's close to true it sounds like a death blow for any self-esteem the psychiatric system has left.

Edit: Came across this recently. "Groundbreaking surgery" sticks out as odd wording given the subject matter.
I was just reading that article in trying to find statistics! It's a sad read, but, I hope they're at peace.

I did think the "groundbreaking surgery" line was odd, it'll probably take a bit more digging around to find the actual figure for OCD haha.

If anything I do hope the percentage is kind of bogus in itself, given how debilitating OCD can be in itself- and how psychiatry handles it.

Reactions: Lucien
WaterHemlock

WaterHemlock

Student
Dec 18, 2019
Just grabbed some numbers from google.
But to answer the question, I think lack of firm meaningful people connctions and hopelesness, problems with no good solutions... I'm too old to live on the street, too broken for new relationships or jobs.

Multiple sclerosis: 2.1 percent

Bipolar: "Researchers estimate that between 25% and 60% of individuals with bipolar disorder will attempt suicide at least once in their lives and between 4% and 19% will complete suicide"

Borderline personality :"Up to 10% of BPD patients will die by suicide."

Divorce- 2 percent

52 year old woman:
"In 2016, the Centers for Disease Control released the results of a study that found the rate at which women aged 45-64 committed suicide in 2014 had increased by 63% from 1999."

And air pollution: "... when up to 30 years of information for PM10, NO2, and SO2 was combined across all 10 cities, higher average exposures on the same day and over the previous 1–3 days were associated with a higher daily suicide risk."

I love what desolatexdevon said about emotional burn victims. That resonates with me so much

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Ramirez
Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
Bpd.my anger is so bad at times. I'm definitely in the 10 percent group. Just a matter of time. The sooner the less pain I'll spread.

Reactions: Catlovergirl
P

PDAnnie2610

Waiting for my bus.
Oct 27, 2019
Same here. Borderline hurts.

Reactions: Catlovergirl
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
The only stat I know off the top of my head is that transmasculine people have a suicide attempt rate of 50%, which is fucking appalling. And no, before anyone asks, you can't "just stop" being trans, lol.

I just googled the suicide attempt rate for people with treatment-resistant depression, and apparently it's 30%. You can't "just stop" that either.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Dear Agony, patheticpartner and western_heart