OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Ctb by the 20th of December
Oct 11, 2020
All I see are bad experiences. If it is indeed a place full of apathetic staff, loneliness, isolation, misery, crap food, with nothing to do, what's the point? Especially if all it does is drive people more insane/ make them want to CTB more? any good experiences out there? How do you get better in a place like that? Is the whole point of it to scare people to not be depressed anymore so they won't be sent back?

• Hugs
Reactions: elyayamama, greyismyfavecolor, Broken Chimera and 8 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think the point is to get rid of "mentally sick people" by making excuses such as "Okay, he/she will be in a better place and recover soon" (they never get better there.)

I was THIS CLOSE to be in a psych ward. Got lucky I guess.

Reactions: greyismyfavecolor, Despairing, DFFP and 5 others
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
Good point. I view it in the same way. After few terrible experiences with such places, I'm rather suffering silently at home than to ever go to such a place again!

• Hugs
Reactions: redbutterfly, DFFP, NodusTollens and 1 other person
L

losthope123

Dec 3, 2019
So the politicians can pretend they care. If we didn't have them at all then there would be a group of people who would be upset that the government isn't doing anything. This in turn can cost someone his/her seat.

• Aww..
Reactions: greyismyfavecolor, Broken Chimera, Eatyourveggies12 and 6 others
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
A site of para-military / para-policing power, to turn conflicts *between* people into problems *within* whoever is the easiest to scapegoat, and to showcase/make object lessons of what happens to people who think "the way you're not supposed to". IMO. Madness And Civilization is a good read.

Reactions: Escape Artist and Buffy5120
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
The ones I went to weren't THAT bad, but they could definitely be better. If I had a psych ward, I'd have a ton of activities for the patients to do so they would never get bored, understanding techs, therapists, nurses and psychiatrists who actually understand, a meal plan to accommodate all diets that don't suck, maybe have game systems in the hospital like a Wii or Nintendo Switch, you can stay up much later than 10pm which is usually lights outs here, more comfortable beds, time to go outside so it's not like prison, the optional choice to take meds (don't want them? That's ok as long as you're not being violent of course) etc.

• Love
Reactions: Viov, redbutterfly, puppy9 and 3 others
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Oct 11, 2020
Oh god. The reality of it really makes me feel sick. I remember telling my ex I felt suicidal and he sent me a link to a psych ward. I guess it truly is a place to throw people away huh? I wish pro lifers spent their energy pushing for better mental health than trash talking SS :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Life is pointless, redbutterfly, Broken Chimera and 7 others
K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
All I see are bad experiences. If it is indeed a place full of apathetic staff, loneliness, isolation, misery, crap food, with nothing to do, what's the point? Especially if all it does is drive people more insane/ make them want to CTB more? any good experiences out there? How do you get better in a place like that? Is the whole point of it to scare people to not be depressed anymore so they won't be sent back?
It's not for your benefit, but Big Pharma's. They use you for experiments, to try shitty drugs on, manipulate, etc.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Life is pointless, greyismyfavecolor, Broken Chimera and 5 others
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Oct 11, 2020
The ones I went to weren't THAT bad, but they could definitely be better. If I had a psych ward, I'd have a ton of activities for the patients to do so they would never get bored, understanding techs, therapists, nurses and psychiatrists who actually understand, a meal plan to accommodate all diets that don't suck, maybe have game systems in the hospital like a Wii or Nintendo Switch, you can stay up much later than 10pm which is usually lights outs here, more comfortable beds, time to go outside so it's not like prison, the optional choice to take meds (don't want them? That's ok as long as you're not being violent of course) etc.

Your idea of a psych ward sounds much more appealing. I wish they were really like that :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Squiddy
feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
I think that wards can potentially be helpful to some people, but they are the minority.

The last psych stay I had lasted 3 weeks. I was kept an extra week because I was refusing to take meds that I had no knowledge of. That was essentially my punishment. I had no agency in there and I do not think that's a suitable way to "help" someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffy5120
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
In fact my former hospital's mental health unit ceased operations in 2015 after my former psychiatrist who was overseeing it quit without warning. These wards are getting closed and downsizing all over my area. In another 25 years, they might not exist at all.

While I have never been a mental health inpatient, that unit was part of my area of coverage as a hospital employee for years, and the people staffing these places are their own worst enemies when it comes to job security. A lot of nurses and other psych ward workers suddenly found themselves out of jobs when my former psychiatrist quit, and they were never able to return to health care after it was learned they had been involved with a unit so completely inept that it closed down.

Treat patients like shit, expect to get treated like shit in return when the time comes to look for another job.

Reactions: Lastsauce, Buffy5120, InterstateFlowers and 2 others
Ardesevent

Ardesevent

It’s the end of the line, cowboy
Feb 2, 2020
It makes hospitals a lot of money. There's really no other reason. These things have been proven to make people more suicidal decades ago, but they're still here. Changing the mental health industry to be less profitable isn't in any bigwig's best interest.

Reactions: Buffy5120, MindFrog, AutoTap and 1 other person
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Forcing drugs on violent people isn't okay either. Literal shackling is less assaultive of a response. Also I generally support people resisting their jailers by any means possible.

Reactions: OopsIdidntwanttodie
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Your idea of a psych ward sounds much more appealing. I wish they were really like that :(
Maybe one day :( if I had a lot of money, I'd consider opening one up to actually help

I think that wards can potentially be helpful to some people, but they are the minority.

The last psych stay I had lasted 3 weeks. I was kept an extra week because I was refusing to take meds that I had no knowledge of. That was essentially my punishment. I had no agency in there and I do not think that's a suitable way to "help" someone.
You shouldn't have been kept just because you didn't want to take meds.

The first time I was in the psych ward, fortunately, the psychiatrist asked me if I wanted any meds to which I said no
Forcing drugs on violent people isn't okay either. Literal shackling is less assaultive of a response. Also I generally support people resisting their jailers by any means possible.
What if they resist and continue to be violent anyways?

Reactions: puppy9, OopsIdidntwanttodie and feast or famine
feast or famine

feast or famine

Jun 15, 2020
You shouldn't have been kept just because you didn't want to take meds.

The first time I was in the psych ward, fortunately, the psychiatrist asked me if I wanted any meds to which I said no
I wasn't asked, nor did I have a choice. I had to comply to their idea of a "treatment plan" before I was considered stable enough to be released.

I've been in the ward 3 times and all of those experiences were relatively the same.

• Aww..
Reactions: OopsIdidntwanttodie and Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I wasn't asked, nor did I have a choice. I had to comply to their idea of a "treatment plan" before I was considered stable enough to be released.

I've been in the ward 3 times and all of those experiences were relatively the same.
Well that sucks :( psych wards really need to get a new plan on how to treat patients

Reactions: Gnip, OopsIdidntwanttodie and feast or famine
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020

Originally, the mental health unit at the hospital where I worked was a model operation, relaxed and open. The beginning of the end was when they "updated" it, turning it into a locked down prison ward at the behest of a power hungry security supervisor and security team. Shortly after, they lost two of the very best psychiatrists in the state, and the downhill avalanche accelerated.

What good are technological updates if they kill your business? Several years ago, I fired that hospital and transferred my primary health care two hours north from where I live, after an incompetent sleep medicine physician acted as if I worked for him instead of the other way around, not appearing to understand the patient-servant relationship.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: OopsIdidntwanttodie and Squiddy
feast or famine

feast or famine

Jun 15, 2020
Well that sucks :( psych wards really need to get a new plan on how to treat patients
Agreed. The entire system needs to be reworked from the ground up, but I don't foresee that happening.

• Aww..
Reactions: Squiddy and OopsIdidntwanttodie
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Originally, the mental health unit at the hospital where I worked was a model operation, relaxed and open. The beginning of the end was when they "updated" it, turning it into a locked down prison ward at the behest of a power hungry security supervisor and security team. Shortly after, they lost two of the very best psychiatrists in the state, and the downhill avalanche accelerated.

What good are technological updates if they kill your business? Several years ago, I fired that hospital and transferred my primary health care two hours north from where I live, after an incompetent sleep medicine physician acted as if I worked for him instead of the other way around, not appearing to understand the patient-servant relationship.
The psych ward here is ok. I like the psychiatrist there, but it could definitely be improved. We couldn't go outside, the menu was good at first, but now they cut back the portions so you're hungry and they only give you a small cup of juice so I stayed thirsty. There also wasn't many activities to do so I was mostly bored out of my mind and slept alot. The therapist would do the same lessons just about everyday which was boring and I'm kinda glad I've been out this long (2 months). I also wouldn't be able to do my diet there (keto) because everything they have is high carbs and I don't think I can bring any food in (which is another thing I'd allow if I had my own psych ward)

Reactions: OopsIdidntwanttodie and Gnip
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Oh yes, I have been in good ol'lockdown before. I HATED it and it did NOTHING for me. Some of the doctors and nurses and counselors were the WORST! I was in for 2 weeks once and they billed my insurance over $57,000 in U.S. dollars. It did zero for me. Hey feet off the floor it is after 10:30pm and do not come out of your room before 6am. We have been watching you and after you are done with a meal you have not eaten everything. The wards are useless period.

• Hmph!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Broken Chimera, Eatyourveggies12, Buffy5120 and 4 others
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
I was in state hospital as a teenager. It was herd management.
I've been in city/local hospital 10 times that i can remember voluntarily, it was respite.
I was involuntarily commited once, city/local hospital, so respite.

I was almost convinced to "have respect for the science" but, fuck that guy.
The "science" will never progress beyond human experimentation and being used as a system justifier,
most importantly as a weapon.

I'm not going to be open minded on that. I was in a state hospital as a teenager.

• Love
  • Hmph!
Reactions: whywere, Buffy5120 and Gnip
ZardozOmega

ZardozOmega

Narcissist Gay NEET-cel
Mar 4, 2020
My experience with a psychiatric hospital was somewhat positive, which I think says something about the sort of life I live.

Reactions: Buffy5120 and whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Oh yes, I have been in good ol'lockdown before. I HATED it and it did NOTHING for me. Some of the doctors and nurses and counselors were the WORST! I was in for 2 weeks once and they billed my insurance over $57,000 in U.S. dollars. It did zero for me. Hey feet off the floor it is after 10:30pm and do not come out of your room before 6am. We have been watching you and after you are done with a meal you have not eaten everything. The wards are useless period.
WOW..WOW, the 2nd HMPH, that I have EVER gotten here and I have no damn knowledge of what I said that made ANYONE p.o.ed at me about! All I can say is YIKES! and I hope that person has a better day and I still love and care for him/her!

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
There are definitely really bad psych hospitals out there. I've had to deal with some because of my son, and it was a scary nightmare. But there are good ones, too.

I think the experience has a lot to do with the circumstances of why and how you're there. If you get admitted involuntarily and do not want the help, it's likely to be a hellish experience. Especially if you fight it. But if you actually want to be there and do the stuff, it might be the opposite.

I see them as a tool. I'm occasionally tempted to go inpatient not because I think it would fix me in any way, but because it would be like a vacation from life and responsibilities. Someone else could take care of me while I shut down without guilt.

I've also been tempted when I felt very unsafe. I am not ready to kill myself because there are things I need to do, but I sometimes get to the point where I think I might impulsively just say fuck it and give up. I'd rather be somewhere that prevented me from acting on that than take chances. So far I've been able to avoid it, but I've had some seriously close calls.

Reactions: Lastsauce and OopsIdidntwanttodie
OopsIdidntwanttodie

OopsIdidntwanttodie

Oct 11, 2020
WOW..WOW, the 2nd HMPH, that I have EVER gotten here and I have no damn knowledge of what I said that made ANYONE p.o.ed at me about! All I can say is YIKES! and I hope that person has a better day and I still love and care for him/her!

mad that you were treated that way, not mad at you :heart:
My experience with a psychiatric hospital was somewhat positive, which I think says something about the sort of life I live.

Do you mind sharing your experience? What was your hospital like?

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Psych wards are holding pens for mentally challenged or people with emotional disturbances to "bring you down" from whatever high you came from. They charge you money out the ass or keep you indefinitely because of that sweet sweet insurance money. You get a 15 min. activity, but most people don't participate because they're so drugged out on medications. The ones that do are the ones that are going to be discharged in 24 hours or less and want to make a good impression on the warden. Activities come in the form of coloring, meditation, positive affirmations, and social workers heaping platitudes on you for 15 mins. You'll see an actual doctor maybe once or twice during your stay. He decides when you get to go home or stay. It can be anxiety inducing if you get admitted over the weekend, and you don't see the doctor for a few days.

• Aww..
Reactions: whywere, Sorrygoodbye, Buffy5120 and 2 others
ak738

ak738

aki
Nov 25, 2020
Personally, I enjoyed it. I wish I could go back to the psych ward. I was in bed all day and the nurses were nice to me.

InterstateFlowers

InterstateFlowers

Experienced
Apr 16, 2020
I've only been in psych wards for 15-17 so teens and the part that sucked the most was that it didn't fix anything for anyone. Like all of our problems in the facility stemmed from home, abuse, no friends, loneliness, poverty, etc . You're given methods to cope but it doesn't solve the source of anything.. Also the teens get all the fun stuff so it's sad the adults are so bored. There's also always (never been in a facility that doesn't have at least art) recreational activities like art (painting, origami, playing instruments,) and going outside in some enclosed area like a rooftop or yard or something. Also exercise?? Like we played volleyball, basketball, and all sorts of stuff in this indoor gym thing. One place I've been to even had karaoke. The thing is it's also to give the minors something to do so nurses keep record of how much you're participating to show the doctor you're improving so if you did nothing and stayed in your room all day, it looked bad. Also free snacks baby pudding, gelatin, juice boxes, cheese sticks, crackers, yogurt, a full fridge full of food all to ourselves? heaven

Reactions: redbutterfly and Lastsauce
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
It's not for your benefit, but Big Pharma's. They use you for experiments, to try shitty drugs on, manipulate, etc.
Definitely we are guinea pigs to them they probably even tried covid vaccines on some people there.....fucking bastards

Reactions: whywere
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I have been in psych ward a few times. It's literally a prison - bars on the windows, staff using violence, patients bullying other patients, crappy food, nasty beds and omnipresent dirt. I think their prime goal is to intimidate people.

Reactions: whywere