F

Falling Slowly

Student
Sep 9, 2023
It seems from reports that if you jump from a high enough height, you're pretty certain to ctb. So it's probably the most reliable way to ctb, if high enough.

Obviously this isn't accessible for everyone (physical issues, etc) but it seems jumping is a lowly used method to ctb (in one study I saw, only about 2% of suicides in U.S. and Europe was from jumping; was nearer 50% in Hong Kong, where people would have had greater access to high rise buildings).

Given that people can travel to the likes of the Grand canyon, or Golden Gate bridge, or high locations in most regions, what is the biggest deterrent to put people off jumping?

Is it not willing to travel to location with a great height, or fear of the height and falling to an impact, or other reason?

Reactions: Nefer
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
Survival instinct, fear of surviving maimed or crippled, difficulties in accessing a suitable locus.

Reactions: DyingToDie123, NeedAnEscape and nunya beznis
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That method sounds terrifying though to me, I've read of many people struggling to attempt jumping because of the SI kicking in, it's certainly like the SI exists just to prolong suffering. Not everyone can just very easily access somewhere very high anyway, whether someone can depends on their situation.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I've made plans to several times and they've fallen through (no pun intended lol). Most high bridges and buildings have barriers that make it physically more difficult and more likely you'll be interrupted. High likelihood of getting seen in the act too -- of course if you do it fast enough that won't matter but SI is a bitch on this one.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
For me it's survival instinct, but I'm going to blindfold myself on my next attempt and hopefully it will help me be successful this time around.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Kalabrese and Division Day
cryvinglightning

cryvinglightning

it gets worse before it gets better.
Oct 27, 2023
i'm scared of SI, plus, if something goes wrong, you'd end up paralized.

Division Day

Division Day

It's life that scares me to death
Oct 28, 2023
SI, the fact there's nowhere accessible near me (every public space in the city has glass barriers), chance of surviving (temporarily or permanently) with terrible injuries.

I feel like I'm running out of options though so even though I always ruled it out before, maybe if I take some stuff before I can will myself over the edge. There's a 100% place, I think, but it's a ways from me. A beautiful walk if I get there and can't do it, I guess.

• Hugs
T

ThisUnrest

Seeking personal sovereignty
Aug 15, 2023
High risk of survival in a very damaged condition. Difficulty in finding a place thats high enough. Survival instinct that makes it hard to do. Plus physical barriers in popular places.

• Hugs
IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
Seen a guy jump from ten stories and get impaled up the ass by a pole. He lived for 30 minutes. No way in hell I'd jump to CTB. Maybe stand on an edge then shoot your brain first to be 100% sure. Pretty gnarly.

notherenotnow

notherenotnow

Oct 7, 2023
You'll end up disabled if you fail. Thats enough for me