tommyhalpinkelly

tommyhalpinkelly

Nov 21, 2018
Trying to understand people who want to keep going on. What's the point? I'm not pushing my point of view of anyone but if suicide is the "easy way out" as people say, why would anyone waste their time continuing an absurd existence.

I really can't understand why people offer these platitudes to justify life. Even if suicide will affect others, why bother continuing? They can always end their lives..

People admit life is hard, unfair, and cruel but want us to continue it.

I just don't understand this obsession with life.

Reactions: natthebrat, Joarga, Morbid Cam and 8 others
T

Tyuiop

Student
Nov 25, 2018
I'm currently 50/50 on suicide. Why I want to live - maybe I can get some love before, do some of things I still enjoy(like drugs), etc... If you have the things and people you enjoy and love, then life is only half bad. The bad half is working then. Normal people do enjoy things like their hobbies, socializing, parties, family etc.
And IMO anyone who says that suicide is the easy way out must want to ctb.

Last edited:
Reactions: sólstafir, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
I don't think suicide is the easy way out... it's so hard even when you are 100% certain and desperate to take the step... for me at least :/

Reactions: Morbid Cam, anelakapu, Fcancer and 3 others
S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
Dont think its about life being great but for some they still have responsibilities ie family. Im lucky in the fact i dont but inorder to make my suicide as effective as possible ive had to wait for SN and few other bits, done alot of research so i know what to expect, i have a good as possible understanding what my death means and uts possible impact. Methods such as hanging, jumping are too much for me. Some hang on to try tidy up some affairs rather than plunge their families into debt. For some the survival instinct is just too strong, they back out/fail. There is always a what if things can improve that stops people, giving treatment/therapy one last chance. Im not an irrational or impulsive person so for me ive wanted to be 100% in the know that my decision is correct for me. Yes more days, weeks, months means longer mental suffering, does it really matter since once you are 100% this is your right path and you take it and it works youll be gone so there is no need to rush it. Going peacefully without regret is what i want so i make steps for that to be the case as much as i can.

Reactions: xb243, OnlyMercy, Morbid Cam and 2 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
Trying to understand people who want to keep going on. What's the point? I'm not pushing my point of view of anyone but if suicide is the "easy way out" as people say, why would anyone waste their time continuing an absurd existence.

I really can't understand why people offer these platitudes to justify life. Even if suicide will affect others, why bother continuing? They can always end their lives..

People admit life is hard, unfair, and cruel but want us to continue it.

I just don't understand this obsession with life.
Something in the brain, probably several modes, where people are narrow-sighted about something that exceeds the "I want to live" threshold, rather than the "i want to die" threshold. for some people it's sex, money etc, for others it's making a difference, etc .. then there's the "i want to die threshold" and everything inbetween

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Tyuiop
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
I always thought it had more to do with their own fear of mortality, same as some folks have trouble interacting with me as I'm in a wheelchair & it reminds them it too could happen to them at any moment.

Im probably dead wrong though..

Reactions: OnlyMercy, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
Fear of death among other things I guess.

Reactions: OnlyMercy, Sinbad, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Life can be great for most people, and there could be a whole lot less suffering but the way our system is, we have more suffering than there otherwise would be. What we live under now is not a moral system and that's the reason it's not sustainable. You need people to be fully free and to be able to take responsibility for themselves as much as possible at the individual level. That also requires educating people a lot better. You also need the majority of the population to have at least 90 and above IQ. Unfortunately there's big differences in IQ among the different ethnic groups. Anyway lol! I went off on tangent again.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Sinbad, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
tommyhalpinkelly

tommyhalpinkelly

Nov 21, 2018
Life can be great for most people, and there could be a whole lot less suffering but the way our system is, we have more suffering than there otherwise would be. What we live under now is not a moral system and that's the reason it's not sustainable. You need people to be fully free and to be able to take responsibility for themselves as much as possible at the individual level. That also requires educating people a lot better. You also need the majority of the population to have at least 90 and above IQ. Unfortunately there's big differences in IQ among the different ethnic groups. Anyway lol! I went off on tangent again.

Were you on the same YouTube recommendation as me? I was literally just watching an hour ago about Africans and IQ of 70 (mind you, I'm black)

Reactions: Trannydiary, Weeping Garbage Can and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Were you on the same YouTube recommendation as me? I was literally just watching an hour ago about Africans and IQ of 70 (mind you, I'm black)
I don't think all African Americans have 70 iq because many are mixed nowadays. However the Africans in Africa might have that as an average IQ. It's not like there's anything wrong with low iq but it is a challenge if u want a more civilized prosperous culture. We evolve according to the climate we need to acclimate to. In warmer climates the genes for high iq aren't selected for because it's easier to live with year round nice weather.

Reactions: Trannydiary, mattwitt, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
@Tyuiop Yes, I think most people live because they really enjoy the other half, which is the hobbies, socializing, family, partying, and oftenly ignore the other half, which is working. I suppose another way to put it is that most people look at the glass half full.

@Shewaitsforme All very good points. As far as my attempt, it wouldn't be rushed, but if there is a time where something really pushes me over the edge and I know I won't get another chance or if I don't want to risk losing my method, I may ctb soon after or at my earliest convenience.

@Jodes Yeah I think the survival instinct and the wanting to die instinct are two diametric forces constantly at war against each other.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Tyuiop, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
M

MMNZ91

Dec 5, 2018
People believe in hope

Reactions: Trannydiary, Morbid Cam, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
V

Virgo

Arcanist
Oct 3, 2018
I don't know. I think people are just delusional.

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
Simple answer. Not everyone is you and has come to the same conclusions as you have about life. What you call platitudes, absurd, and obsessions are just your opinion being applied universally. It is okay, I do the same. Different people come to their own conclusions and gravitate towards those that share those conclusions. The variability of the human condition means the conclusions arrived at are simply different. What is meaningful and bearable to some may not be to another. Value judgments are not set in stone either, they often shift in response to life experiences.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Sinbad and sólstafir
Danyyyyy

Danyyyyy

Yippee
Mar 19, 2023
I guess it's from perspective of each person. Like "woahhh someone won the lottery" tho sometimes that could be a double edged sword, so good AND bad. Personally, I got no choice but to keep living so I'm just waiting till I'm out of my parents house so I can actually make decision myself and really ask myself if I wanna ctb or continue with everyday cycle :PP

Punished Mantis

Punished Mantis

Apr 12, 2023
Maybe I am alone in this feeling because I have yet to find others who share it. But there is something about me that wants to see it at the end. I see almost nothing getting "better" but I am persistent in sticking to the end.

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
because they have something they hold dear that helps them get through the hardships. Looks, talent, friends, a relationship etc.

Reactions: rationaltake
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I could personally never see the appeal of existing, it's just something that isn't desirable to me at all and existing could never interest me in any way. I don't understand those who value life so much and push the idea of "recovery", there really is no recovery from the fact that life in itself is the true problem. As well as there being unlimited potential for harm and suffering, life is futile, pointless and tedious, it's a worthless struggle that leads to nowhere other than us ceasing to exist. I could never want to decay from old age in this cruel world where chance determines everything and there is so much uncertainty involved in life as well, those who want to exist in this hellish world certainly are delusional.

• Love
Reactions: natthebrat and unnormal9
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Always the same blindness in this forum. You are surrounded by billions of living organisms and yet you can't see that the will to exist is pre-rational and one of the primeval forces that spawned everything we know. As long as one has good health and the basics covered most people will treasure their days, because the lust for existing was what created their lives to begin with.

Reactions: animism, WorthlessTrash and rationaltake
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
It's hopeless trying to understand. Those who can enjoy life and those who cannot stand it are having experiences so fundamentally different that we cannot even begin to understand the other's perspective.

Reactions: Coffeandamug