π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†

π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†

Deeming that I were better dead
Oct 28, 2023
What would be your answer to people calling suicidal one's "selfish" because "they're hurting others and their pain is far less important that their family and friends' pain"?

• Love
Reactions: Kore, Freyja13, tiger b and 1 other person
alexx_m

alexx_m

Nov 14, 2023
I don't know if this answers it well, but I have some experience from both sides. I have been suicidal for years and if anyone said suicidal people are selfish for leaving I'd say that they are the selfish ones for emotionally manipualting a person into staying alive and utterly miserable for the sake of someone else. However, recently my partner of 9 years ctb-ed on their own, and even though I don't want to be a hypocrite, I can now sort of understand why people would think it's selfish...the amount of pain their death caused me is 100 times worse than all the pain I've felt throughout my life combined.

• Hugs
Reactions: Morana and π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The selfish thing is trying to force people to continue suffering when they wish to die, nobody is obligated to stay in this existence that was so harmfully imposed onto them in the first place. The suicide is "selfish" view doesn't make sense as none of us could have asked to be burdened with the ability to exist, I don't get why we should have to be punished all because other people were selfish enough to cruelly procreate.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and myusername890
S

stxrdustprincex

Nov 16, 2023
i think the most selfish thing someone can do is keep a person alive against their will. i have been suicidal for years and every single person who has found out has tried to convince me to stay because "it will irreversibly hurt the people i love." and that guilt tripping worked on me for a while, but i've come to the conclusion that they just care more about themselves than the person suffering, and that's incredibly selfish. i have also lost people to suicide and watched people lose their loved ones as well, and it did change my mind for a while, but i've seen firsthand how people learn to live with it and move on, and i want that to happen when i ctb too. personally, i think suicide is the last act of self care anyone can do.

Reactions: Morana and π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†
Some place nice

Some place nice

This world makes me sick
Oct 18, 2023
I had a friend call my mother friend selfish for trying to cbt before. "You can't just give up bc you get sad or something is a little hard that's selfish." That is what she told me and it took everything not to curb stomp her. It's selfish to minimize someone elses pain and suffering and to make them feel like shit when they were in a bad place where they saw no way out.

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
What would be your answer to people calling suicidal one's "selfish" because "they're hurting others and their pain is far less important that their family and friends' pain"?
Nothing.

I wouldn't dignify such shallow thinking with a response.

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and Rhizomorph1
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
If my pain leads me to CTB and their pain is greater then mine so they should CTB to.
If they dont feel like CTBing then they're ok :D

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†
Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
I would respond with the fact that research in psychology points to shame as a factor that contributes to suicide. So all the real-world evidence that exists shows that making people feel guilty or shameful about suicidal ideation objectively pushes people further towards suicide.

Anyone who knows how to lead a truly helping relationship will avoid shame in all it's forms.

And this doesn't even account for the backwards ethics/logics of the statement concerning moral responsibility and self-determination, etc. (which I won't get into as others have discussed it already)

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000, movinout17, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Breeders are more selfish.

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and LeperGnome
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
their pain is far less important that their family and friends' pain
Who decides that?

If I'm in a relationship that isn't working out for me, am I obliged to stay with my significant other because it would hurt them if we broke up? Does leaving make me selfish? The question is obviously how much weight individual autonomy has in a given situation, and I'd argue that in the case of suicide, individual autonomy typically comes first. There's the fact that no one opted into existence, for one, so why would every given person have a responsibility to see their existence through to a natural death? What could one have a greater right over than one's own life?

And as a follow-up question, it fair to coerce someone to stay alive and in painβ€” to attempt to control their personβ€” because it would upset me if they acted within their rights to minimise their pain?

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000 and π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜†
achb

achb

I am Clive
Oct 23, 2023
I've had a friend tell me that. I didn't and still wouldn't really start a debate. It seems rather pointless. But personally I just don't care if it's selfish or not. It is not my responsibility if what I do with myself affects someone else emotionally imo. They are not my child. They are not my ward. I am not their keeper.

I am not forcing them to be there. I am not doing anything to them. I am upfront about my struggles to those close enough to care. They stay regardless.

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and Forever Sleep
O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
1. Why is the suffering of the family/friends more important than the suffering of the suicidal
person?

2. Who gets to decide which person is more important and whose suffering is worse?

3. What are the suicidal person's family/friends doing to help them? If they aren't helping them or
at least offering them emotional support, then they are the ones being selfish, and they shouldn't
get to complain or have a say in the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000, π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and tiger b
Freyja13

Freyja13

Today's air quality is mauve and speckled.
May 6, 2023
Lol I'd say fuck off xD

• Yay!
Reactions: tiger b, π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and Forever Sleep
kilowatt

kilowatt

Guns don't kill people I kill people
Sep 9, 2023
That just proves there's no understanding of the sucidial mind. I'd probably just stare in disgust.

Reactions: π—Ÿπ—Όπ—»π—²π—Ήπ˜† and tiger b