N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is a tough question for me.

I often have the wish that I was smarter. Just for my ego. Intelligence and education are part of my last remaining self-esteem. Maybe I would have better opportunities for a job. Though I think I would still be too fragile and vulnerable for a normal job. Maybe I could learn programming if I was smarter. However I absolutely have no real interest in understading IT.

Being more attractive/better looking also had adavantages. Maybe I had more success with women. Though my paranoia and OCD behavior would probably still fuck it up. I try not be too superficial and vain.

I think both would not be a game changer for me. Maybe I would prefer being smarter. However I am not sure how much this would improve my life quality.

Which one would you prefer?

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, katagiri83 and ColorlessTrees
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
I don't know, both are kind of double-edged sword in a way. I'm considered intelligent yet I can't handle basic tasks to the point it's comical how useless I can be, I'm also persistently unmotivated to pursue anything that won't get me high or dead. I feel like becoming smarter might just make me even more alienated and desperate to die, or maybe I'm not smart enough to see how I'd benefit from being smarter šŸ’€.

I'm sure being attractive (if you're into that sort of thing, transgenders with their ideology amirite) has allowed me to get away with a lot of shit I didn't even realize and attracted people to me with little effort on my part, but my lack of socialization, selfishness, avoidance of people and self-destructiveness ensure any interpersonal relationship I have won't be around long. I don't really see how becoming more attractive solves anything for me, it'd just be feeding my own vanity given I don't see people anyway.

Assuming being smarter would let me improve things for myself or (more importantly) others in a way I cannot foresee, go for that I guess. If I keep my current neuroses and motivation level, being smarter and therefore more aware while remaining trapped in my head just sounds like extra torture. I'd much rather take "ability to go 24hrs w/o thinking about drugs/suicide" or "ability to initiate interaction or ask for help without feeling like a burden".

Reactions: ColorlessTrees and GentleJerk
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
Oh that's an easy oneā€”I'll take smart any day of the week. Looks are way overrated, and don't last nearly as long as brains. There's just so much more you can do with intelligenceā€¦

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, onlyanimalsaregood and GentleJerk
Message In A Bottle

Message In A Bottle

šŸ“œ Just me, myself, and I
Apr 1, 2022
My body dysmorphia says better looks but my brain says to be smarter

• Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar, Rogue Proxy, rationaltake and 3 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Smarter so I can make money longer. Also being smart will probably give me a full proof and pain free plan to ctb if I'm unhappy.

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I would personally prefer to not exist at all, when I am dead nothing can hurt me. Life is only suffering. I would choose to be smarter, but of course it would not matter that much as life is completely meaningless, we will all die and be forgotten someday, but maybe life would be more bearable for me. I have very low intelligence and bad concentration. I do not think that looks mean much, it would not take away suffering. It would probably make me feel worse if I was physically beautiful.

• Hugs
Reactions: MicropBaldCurrycel, chocolatebar, Rogue Proxy and 3 others
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Good looking (opposite sex). I'll worry about gaining knowledge myself as that is something I actually can control.

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Starylain001

Starylain001

Body is a prison for the soul
Apr 10, 2022
Being healthy.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Secrets1, chocolatebar, S like suicide and 4 others
Hercules

Hercules

Arcanist
Jan 31, 2021
Definitely being smarter. Some attractive people can get by in life on their looks alone when they are younger, but looks slowly fade as you get older. When you are no longer attractive, if you don't have any intelligence, you will be stuck and get nowhere in life. If you are intelligent, at least you will always be able to get ahead in life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy and ColorlessTrees
pikku.tiikeri

pikku.tiikeri

Apr 17, 2022
Wisdom over vanity any day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Secrets1 and ColorlessTrees
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'd prefer to be better looking. Smart doesn't seem to get anything except more awareness about how much everything sucks and how stupid everyone else is. Might as well get all the status of being higher than normal people by being hotter than them.

That said I'm not very smart either right now so maybe that makes my answer automatically wrong.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar, S like suicide and ColorlessTrees
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Smarter. I feel dumb as hell with my cognition issues and I'm not really getting far in life with my looks

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and noname223
gottablast888

gottablast888

Student
Apr 15, 2022
im smart and sexy and still want to ctb. i would prefer being healthy and not mentally ill

Reactions: akana, Secrets1, S like suicide and 3 others
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
Beauty is the only thing that matters to me in the world, of course. But theoretically intelligence = better shot at education = higher paying job = money to *make* myself beautiful through modifications, surgical or not. Intelligence could get me both if I knew how to consult the right people as well as draw from my own pool of knowledge. This works best with an average base, though. I'm not intelligent nor average, so obviously I'd choose beauty.

But intelligence comes in many different forms, imo. It depends on which one we're talking about.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Al Cappella and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
fox_wannabe

fox_wannabe

Enlightened
Jul 7, 2021
Now I would choose being better looking If I could add to my looks without loosing much brain. Thinking more and using more brain never helped me in anything.
Being better looking would be a blessing.

Wantogonow

Wantogonow

Apr 18, 2022
I would go with being smarter but I don't think it would have made life any better I just be more aware of how bad my head is f**ked

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
Better looking

• Hugs
Reactions: fox_wannabe and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
T90-Alpha

T90-Alpha

Hopeless
Apr 21, 2022
I would rather have better social skills, than either of the two options

Reactions: chocolatebar, MellowAvenue and S like suicide
Enigmatic Sailor

Enigmatic Sailor

vicissitudes of fate...
Oct 29, 2021
More intelligent, then I would use my smarts to create the ideal looks on my person's and manipulate people into thinking I'm a supermodel. GENIUS!

• Yay!
Reactions: Marine, MellowAvenue and WorthlessTrash
Pencil+Ink

Pencil+Ink

Oh no
Apr 16, 2022
It's weird seeing everyone say smarter. I don't mean this as a brag, I'd rather anything else. I'm borderline genius and I constantly wish that I wasn't as smart as I am because I swear it's the root for so many of my problems. Sure, I'd like to be above average, but not this much. It's just lonely. So, I'd go looks, only to avoid being any more clever.

Reactions: Marine and MellowAvenue
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Better looking. It'd add more stability to my life, which is all I want right now. Being more intelligent could do that, or push me in the other direction and make me spiral even more out of control.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

šŸ‘»
Nov 5, 2020
Better looking but I've seen this question before and the answer really depends on my mood more than anything.

Reactions: chocolatebar
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
I would personally prefer to not exist at all, when I am dead nothing can hurt me. Life is only suffering. I would choose to be smarter, but of course it would not matter that much as life is completely meaningless, we will all die and be forgotten someday, but maybe life would be more bearable for me. I have very low intelligence and bad concentration. I do not think that looks mean much, it would not take away suffering. It would probably make me feel worse if I was physically beautiful.
I think it's the second time I see you saying something like that. It make me intrigued, because I always held you as someone smart and you perceive yourself as having a "very low intelligence". There's a great distance between these perceptions.

Would you mind talking about it? Do you think you could do something you can't right now if you were smarter? Why do you think life would be more bearable?
I would rather have better social skills, than either of the two options
I can't agree more. If we look at the people who enjoy life, what do they have in common?

If life was an rpg game, I would simply put all my points in social skills. This game isn't well balanced.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think it's the second time I see you saying something like that. It make me intrigued, because I always held you as someone smart and you perceive yourself as having a "very low intelligence". There's a great distance between these perceptions.

Would you mind talking about it? Do you think you could do something you can't right now if you were smarter? Why do you think life would be more bearable?
I am certainly not smart. I am the opposite. Things that other people find easy have always been difficult for me. I think that being smarter would have made my life more bearable in the past, as my low intelligence meant that I found education very difficult. Being able to concentrate much better may mean that I might be able to distract myself from my suffering more. Sometimes I even find reading quite difficult.

Marine

Marine

*~ ēµ¶åÆ¾ć« å…Øć¦ć‚’å–ć‚Šęˆ»ć•ć›ć¦ć‚‚ć‚‰ć† ~*
Jul 5, 2020
Better looking.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Things that other people find easy have always been difficult for me
I remember you mentioning you're autistic, am I right? It's normal for us to have difficulty with things people do with ease...
I'm autistic as well, although they classified it as mild. However, it's enough to understand a bit of your pain.

Have you been forcing yourself to do things like the other people do? It usually only gets us frustrated. We have to do things in our own way.

And about school... they're definitely not designed for people like us. You don't have to feel bad for having had difficulties with it.

The way you talk about life, nature and the horrors of existence... the way you construct your arguments... you do it very well and I hold my perception of you as someone smart.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I remember you mentioning you're autistic, am I right? It's normal for us to have difficulty with things people do with ease...
I'm autistic as well, although they classified it as mild. However, it's enough to understand a bit of your pain.

Have you been forcing yourself to do things like the other people do? It usually only gets us frustrated. We have to do things in our own way.

And about school... they're definitely not designed for people like us. You don't have to feel bad for having had difficulties with it.

The way you talk about life, nature and the horrors of existence... the way you construct your arguments... you do it very well and I hold my perception of you as someone smart.
Yes, I am autistic. I do not do much these days, I simply cannot do what other people do, I do not want to, I cannot live at all and that is just the way that things are. I do not feel bad about school any more, it was years ago, it is all just a memory now, education is very pointless. And thank you, of course I do not see myself as being good at writing, but I wish you the best.

• Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Yes, I am autistic. I do not do much these days, I simply cannot do what other people do, I do not want to, I cannot live at all and that is just the way that things are. I do not feel bad about school any more, it was years ago, it is all just a memory now, education is very pointless. And thank you, of course I do not see myself as being good at writing, but I wish you the best.
Oh, @FuneralCry... if only I could give you a real life hug... slow, delicate and warm. But I don't even know if you'd like it.