L

Leopard2023

Sep 24, 2023
When walking, I felt like jumping infront of a car.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: silentnights56 and Firework
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I seem to remember that the formula to calculate the energy of a moving car that is not accelerating was Ec=1/2m*v2 (if I remember correctly, I haven't been to a physics class in years haha).

An average car has a mass of between 1000kg and 2000kg so let's say 1500kg to average. And the speed is 30kmh (1kmh = 0.277ms so 30kmh = 8.3ms). So the kinetic energy would be 51675J.

I'm realizing right now while I was searching on Google how much kinetic force the human body can withstand, that all of this is very stupid and you would have simply searched on YouTube what happens if you get hit by a car, but who cares, if I already started, then I'll finish it. XD

Apparently the maximum force of a Mike Tyson punch would be 1600J... so assuming the calculations are correct, I suppose it would be a big blow. depending on how the car hits it, it would be like multiple simultaneous punches from Mike Tyson all over your body.

• Yay!
Reactions: get.some.sleep, Firework, iwkmlol and 2 others
Y

Yaffle

Life’s a bitch
Nov 9, 2023
I seem to remember that the formula to calculate the energy of a moving car that is not accelerating was Ec=1/2m*v2 (if I remember correctly, I haven't been to a physics class in years haha).

An average car has a mass of between 1000kg and 2000kg so let's say 1500kg to average. And the speed is 30kmh (1kmh = 0.277ms so 30kmh = 8.3ms). So the kinetic energy would be 51675J.

I'm realizing right now while I was searching on Google how much kinetic force the human body can withstand, that all of this is very stupid and you would have simply searched on YouTube what happens if you get hit by a car, but who cares, if I already started, then I'll finish it. XD

Apparently the maximum force of a Mike Tyson punch would be 1600J... so assuming the calculations are correct, I suppose it would be a big blow. depending on how the car hits it, it would be like multiple simultaneous punches from Mike Tyson all over your body.
OP's question was 30mph so approx 48kph but I enjoyed reading your physics formula.
I'll defer to @edu0z for the physics but one thing is almost certainly guaranteed and that's giving the driver flashbacks and maybe PTSD. Exactly the reason I stopped thinking about jumping in front of a train.

Reactions: edu0z
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I'll defer to @edu0z for the physics but one thing is almost certainly guaranteed and that's giving the driver flashbacks and maybe PTSD. Exactly the reason I stopped thinking about jumping in front of a train.
Yes, the truth is that I would prefer to leave this planet causing as minimum damage to others as possible.

Reactions: Myforevercharlie and Yaffle
L

Leopard2023

Sep 24, 2023
Yes, the truth is that I would prefer to leave this planet causing as minimum damage to others as possible.
Thanks for the physics. I wouldn't mind going to another planet and getting away from everyone if it was possible.
OP's question was 30mph so approx 48kph but I enjoyed reading your physics formula.

I didn't think of the driver getting flashbacks, but its true.

• Love
Reactions: edu0z
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
You'd have a fair chance of sustaining life changing injuries rather than fatal ones. What they were would depend on the frontal shape and height of the vehicle, whether the driver had the opportunity to swerve or brake and how you hit the road surface.
Contemplate paralysis or brain injuries.

K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I drive a lot and am also a physical and mental health first aider (and yes am feeling suicidal myself and have issues). The chances of dying when being hit by a car that is driving 30 mph is extremely low - more likely to end up with life changing injuries and possibly another person (the driver) being diagnosed with PTSD.

Reactions: lifeisbutadream
A

Aburach

Nov 19, 2023
Unpredictable what would happen to you - but the innocent driver's life and mental health would likely be ruined.