CyanideSoup

CyanideSoup

Memento mori
Oct 1, 2019
We all seem to have our fair share of experience and opinions on support services when it comes to mental health and suicide. But hypothetically, if a new support service was made available that was completely tailor-made to your needs, what would that look like?

For myself I would like something that was available 24/7, because the nights are difficult. Maybe a drop in center that is available in a crisis instead of having to sit in a hospital for hours, only to talk to some unhelpful twat for 5 mins and be given a stressball. It would also be there if you just needed somewhere to get headspace, or for day to day support. It wouldn't be a medical setting necessarily, just a safe space with understanding people who know what you are going through. It would be flexible and they would treat you like a person instead of a DSM checklist. They could offer group support, 1to1, help with contributing factors like employment, housing, addiction, advocacy, etc. You wouldn't be made to feel like you're wasting time and you wouldn't be turned away. You would be treat with patience and respect. And most importantly they'd respect your autonomy! You would never be forced into any unwanted treatment or made to share anything with other professionals.

This is just my opinion of what would help me so maybe it wouldn't be in high demand. Where I live atleast, this isn't a thing. There are crisis centres open for a few hours a week but they have limited spaces and you have to book a slot (seems kinda odd, I can't predict a crisis). Charities like Mind also have some workshops, but they're limited and booked weeks in advance.

In an ideal world, mental health services would be designed by the users. So I'm just interested to see what that might look like from your perspective

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Honestly, I think the work of psychologists is nearly impossible.

However, if I had to make some choices, it would be for things that don't affect me such as: drug decriminalization (not a drug user), job training and resume support (have a job, working toward something better), tighter regulation on psych meds that DO work (NOT SSRIs, lol), greater powers for CPS to take kids away from abusive families (maybe not me but definitely would have helped my brother), stronger social safety net for the disabled, more trauma-based therapy as opposed to useless and damaging CBT.