throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
Here is the wikipedia article about it. This is particularly interesting because it raises the question of immortality. The Time Magazine made an report.

More very interesting links about it:
Explained in Detail

If you're too lazy to think

I suggest you read it all. It's very interesting.

I wrote "if" into the title because a lot of people are not aware of it and fewer don't believe it to happen.
It is not a question of if , merely an question of when.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lizzie S. and lv-gras
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I don't think immortality is possible for us as finite beings. We can approach some form of extended existence, but eventually via rising entropy, we will reach a state where no new states can arise, and we will be as good as dead. We will become static systems over some time scale, and all the attempts at prolonging life will become irrelevant.

EDIT: I found a cool punchline for this - Death doesn't go away, it merely changes its form.

Last edited:
Reactions: throwaway123
satou

satou

not yet
Sep 3, 2018
I don't think it will happen. I see no reason to believe that a vastly superior intelligence is possible. In fact, I think that as a species we might have already be close to reaching the plateau of what is possible. Obviously I could be wrong. But I think people have a real tendency to underestimate nature and the sheer power of natural evolution.

Reactions: SomeGuyDK and lv-gras
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
I don't think immortality is possible for us as finite beings. We can approach some form of extended existence, but eventually via rising entropy, we will reach a state where no new states can arise, and we will be as good as dead. We will become static systems over some time scale, and all the attempts at prolonging life will become irrelevant.

EDIT: I found a cool punchline for this - Death doesn't go away, it merely changes its form.
There exist other types of Civilizations such as Type VI who are capable of bending the fabric of space-time itself. They would be capable of surviving the heat death of the universe. That is all theoretical of course but a small possibility exists.

Last edited:
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
There exist other types of Civilizations such as Type VI who are capable of bending the fabric of space-time itself. They would be capable of surviving the heat death of the universe. That is all theoretical of course but a small possibility exists.

What I'm proposing goes beyond that, and sort of appeals to the finite nature of our selves. If we're finite, we store finite data, and we'll run out of new patterns to store and/or end up in a loop and be as good as dead. If we're to become infinite, we'll suffer ego death. (Cue the punchline :wink:.)

Reactions: throwaway123