ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
I often wonder if my diet as a child is at least partially responsible for some of my problems now.

The foods and drinks I grew up on were atrocious. Crazy amounts of junk food, sugar and processed foods. I always drank soft drinks and drinks high in sugar instead of water, so also lots of caffeine. Even as a kid, I experienced a lot of brain fog and I wonder if my diet was the reason for that. I think we all know we are what we eat, but I don't seem to hear much about how unhealthy diets as children can set us up for failure as adults. I kind of resent my parents for not providing me with more nutritious meals, considering we weren't poor (lower middle class, I'd say). Then again, I think they also just didn't really know any better.

So just curious, what foods were you raised on?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: ReflectionOfTrauma, Élégie, sorella santini and 9 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Home cooked meals.
My mom is Italian, so lots of homemade spaghetti and meatballs.
We weren't allowed sweets until we ate everything on our plate, and were only allowed water with dinner, although we could have koolaid with lunch.
She packed our lunches for school, so no cafeteria food.
I was raised well in that regard, though as an adult I have terrible eating habits. Fast food, or whatever I can throw in the oven with minimal effort.

• Hugs
Reactions: ReflectionOfTrauma, Élégie, Callie Arcale and 2 others
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
Home cooked meals.
We weren't allowed sweets until we ate everything on our plate, and were only allowed water with dinner, although we could have koolaid with lunch.
I was raised well in that regard, though as an adult I have terrible eating habits. Fast food, or whatever I can throw in the oven with minimal effort.
That's good to hear :)
I had to eat the cafeteria food. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but cafeteria food in the 90's was criminal ha. I always drank chocolate milk at lunch. I ate a lot of fast food growing up too. I very rarely eat fast food as an adult. There was about four years in which I never did. My diet as an adult is much better, and I actually really like healthy food. Even as a kid, I loved vegetables and fruit.. we just didn't get it a whole lot and when I did get vegetables, it was almost always from cans with a lot of sodium and extra stuff added to it.

Reactions: Callie Arcale, DocNo and Good4Nothing
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
My snacks as a kid were always fruits and vegetables. I was a very healthy kid.
Then I became an adult and started drinking, smoking, and drugging and eating garbage. I don't care enough about myself to take care of myself like my mom did.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, sorella santini, demuic and 6 others

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Eww, childhood diet.
I often wonder if my diet as a child is at least partially responsible for some of my problems now.

The foods and drinks I grew up on were atrocious. Crazy amounts of junk food, sugar and processed foods. I always drank soft drinks and drinks high in sugar instead of water, so also lots of caffeine. Even as a kid, I experienced a lot of brain fog and I wonder if my diet was the reason for that. I think we all know we are what we eat, but I don't seem to hear much about how unhealthy diets as children can set us up for failure as adults. I kind of resent my parents for not providing me with more nutritious meals, considering we weren't poor (lower middle class, I'd say). Then again, I think they also just didn't really know any better.
Aside from caffeine, I subscribe under every single word of yours. I've been eating crap until age 22, when I made an acquaintance with the health freak who converted me into her nutrition doctrine. I'm eating better and feel better since then. My diet now consists for the most part of veggies, meat, almonds, fruits, and goat cheese.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, Callie Arcale, DocNo and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Omg, you've now made me wonder if my childhood's diet has had something to do with my present lol

I ate lots of junk food (still do) and drank lots of soda (especially coke cola).

I'm actually trying to lose weight and it's really hard because I gotta work out like 200% more than a normal person. (Can't do healthy diets. Hate them lol)

• Hugs
Reactions: ReflectionOfTrauma, Callie Arcale, DocNo and 1 other person
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Yeah, my diet was completely fucked as a kid, same as yours. I never had that much of a sweet tooth (I disliked candy, cake and chocolate with a passion), but I still ate tons of high carb/high calorie food. I've never drank pop or soda (I did try it once as a kid but hated it), but I drank chocolate milk like there was no tomorrow. As an aside, isn't it strange that I hated chocolate, but loved chocolate milk? That's always been a minor mystery to me. Barely a single fruit or vegetable passed my young lips. It was either junk food/fast food, or equally unhealthy stuff like grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, high sugar caffeinated yogurt, fried chicken, garlic bread, and so on. That sort of high yeast, high carb, high sugar type diet probably played enormous havoc on my development. Obviously in a physical sense since, although I was never morbidly obese, I struggled with being overweight for a long time. My skin was always very sensitive, especially so when I was growing up, and as a result of my weight problems back then I now carry disgusting stretch marks over most of my body. They're significantly faded now, but you can still see them under enough light. Not only that, but they've left literal indents in my skin as well that, from what I've read, will never go away, outside of cosmetic surgery.

Psychologically, I wouldn't be surprised if my shitty diet played a role there too. Odds are, it simply exacerbated the problems I was already suffering from as a default, like extreme anxiety and my clear inability to focus, at least when it came to studying and such. As you pointed out, general brain fog was a huge problem for me, even back then. It's an easy bet to make that my poor eating habits only served to reinforce the problems I was already plagued with, while laying the ground work for all new ones (like chronic depression as an example).

I've found it's useless trying to discuss this topic with my mother, given it was primarily her laxness (and even unintended encouragement) that allowed my crappy diet to take root in the first place. She simply throws her hands up and exclaims that she couldn't get either me or my brother to eat anything we were supposed to when we were children. We were little hellions, we were disobedient, we were this, we were that. Our father was never involved, she did the best she could, she couldn't just let us starve, and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, she's got a thousand and one excuses alright. The bottom line comes down to the fact, that my mother had this obsessive need to make sure we were both "fed", even if what we were being fed was literal garbage for the body.

She did the same thing when it came to both our former cats (now long dead), feeding them and feeding them to the point that they were both morbidly obese. I can recall on one occasion making the passing suggestion that perhaps it isn't wise to be feeding a cat those little junk food cat treats you can buy at pet stores, every single day and to always have a bowl filled with the stuff that they could engorge on at anytime. Her response? "We can't take that away from them because then they'd be so stressed their fur would fall out!!!". Yep, that's literally how up her own ass she was. Our cats lived to a ripe old age, but it seems that happened totally in spite of their downright awful diets. Be that as it may, their poor diets certainly didn't help their eventual health problems and, if anything, probably played a not so insignificant role in their formation in the first place. It was only near the end of our 2nd cat's life, when my mother finally snapped to her fucking senses, that she actually started feeding him properly. By that point though, it was too little too late.

Anyway, the past is the past. There's nothing any of us can do about it now. I can't help, but roll my eyes though whenever my mother remarks on the fact that she always "knew" that I'd finally start eating healthily someday. Yeah well, no thanks to you there mom. Apparently one of my uncles, on my father's side, scolded her once a long time ago on how poorly she was feeding both me and my brother, but specifically me, and she dismissed it all on the assumption that I'd start to eat clean food when I was ready to do so. Somehow that now because I chose to begin a healthy diet, she's slightly smug about being proven right that everything would work out in the end, despite often providing me with the worst kind of non-food to eat.

My brother, somehow, wasn't nearly as badly effected by all this as I was, even as we were growing up. He ate slightly better than me as a kid, but not by much. Still, he never suffered from significant weight problems, nor did he ever struggle with anxiety, or anything else of the sort. My brother managed to dodge all the bullets I was pretty much riddled with as we were growing up. All the genetic runoff/weaknesses from our parents must've just fallen to me, I guess.

These days, I drink nothing, but water. No sugar, very little dairy, no bread, no red meat, and no pork. Lots of fruit and vegetables. It's been just about 3 years of this so far and I'd never want to eat any other way. I could still do with reducing my calorie intake though. A couple weeks of intermittent fasting would do me a world of good, I think.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, Random, Callie Arcale and 1 other person
Fehler

Fehler

Oct 12, 2020
Home cooked meals.

Exactly the same here, but with German/Spanish food, although I was (and still) with many manias with food.
I remembered when all the little ones carried their sandwich of nutella or ham and I went with a carrot wrapped in aluminum foil x)

• Hugs
Reactions: Callie Arcale, ohhgeeitsme and Good4Nothing
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
Aside from caffeine, I subscribe under every single word of yours. I've been eating crap until age 22, when I made an acquaintance with the health freak who converted me into her nutrition doctrine. I'm eating better and feel better since then. My diet now consists for the most part of veggies, meat, almonds, fruits, and goat cheese.
I actually started eating healthier after recovering from opiate addiction. I was trying to cure my post acute withdrawals, then kept at it for mental illness in general. So for me, eating healthier has always been more about my mental health rather than physical. I'm glad to hear you're eating healthier now!

Omg, you've now made me wonder if my childhood's diet has had something to do with my present lol
I ate lots of junk food (still do) and drank lots of soda (especially coke cola).
I'm actually trying to lose weight and it's really hard because I gotta work out like 200% more than a normal person. (Can't do healthy diets. Hate them lol)
Lol I know, right? I don't eat junk food anymore, except on the rare occasion when I really don't give AF haha. That's great that you're trying to lose weight! It sucks that you hate healthy foods.. that definitely makes it harder. Maybe you just haven't found the right foods/good cooking? I hate to be that guy.. but ya never know!

Yeah, my diet was completely fucked as a kid, same as yours. I never had that much of a sweet tooth (I disliked candy, cake and chocolate with a passion), but I still ate tons of high carb/high calorie food. I've never drank pop or soda (I did try it once as a kid but hated it), but I drank chocolate milk like there was no tomorrow. As an aside, isn't it strange that I hated chocolate, but loved chocolate milk? That's always been a minor mystery to me. Barely a single fruit or vegetable passed my young lips. It was either junk food/fast food, or equally unhealthy stuff like grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, high sugar caffeinated yogurt, fried chicken, garlic bread, and so on. That sort of high yeast, high carb, high sugar type diet probably played enormous havoc on my development. Obviously in a physical sense since, although I was never morbidly obese, I struggled with being overweight for a long time. My skin was always very sensitive, especially so when I was growing up, and as a result of my weight problems back then I now carry disgusting stretch marks over most of my body. They're significantly faded now, but you can still see them under enough light. Not only that, but they've left literal indents in my skin as well that, from what I've read, will never go away, outside of cosmetic surgery.

Psychologically, I wouldn't be surprised if my shitty diet played a role there too. Odds are, it simply exacerbated the problems I was already suffering from as a default, like extreme anxiety and my clear inability to focus, at least when it came to studying and such. As you pointed out, general brain fog was a huge problem for me, even back then. It's an easy bet to make that my poor eating habits only served to reinforce the problems I was already plagued with, while laying the ground work for all new ones (like chronic depression as an example).

I've found it's useless trying to discuss this topic with my mother, given it was primarily her laxness (and even unintended encouragement) that allowed my crappy diet to take root in the first place. She simply throws her hands up and exclaims that she couldn't get either me or my brother to eat anything we were supposed to when we were children. We were little hellions, we were disobedient, we were this, we were that. Our father was never involved, she did the best she could, she couldn't just let us starve, and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, she's got a thousand and one excuses alright. The bottom line comes down to the fact, that my mother had this obsessive need to make sure we were both "fed", even if what we were being fed was literal garbage for the body.

She did the same thing when it came to both our former cats (now long dead), feeding them and feeding them to the point that they were both morbidly obese. I can recall on one occasion making the passing suggestion that perhaps it isn't wise to be feeding a cat those little junk food cat treats you can buy at pet stores, every single day and to always have a bowl filled with the stuff that they could engorge on at anytime. Her response? "We can't take that away from them because then they'd be so stressed their fur would fall out!!!". Yep, that's literally how up her own ass she was. Our cats lived to a ripe old age, but it seems that happened totally in spite of their downright awful diets. Be that as it may, their poor diets certainly didn't help their eventual health problems and, if anything, probably played a not so insignificant role in their formation in the first place. It was only near the end of our 2nd cat's life, when my mother finally snapped to her fucking senses, that she actually started feeding him properly. By that point though, it was too little too late.

Anyway, the past is the past. There's nothing any of us can do about it now. I can't help, but roll my eyes though whenever my mother remarks on the fact that she always "knew" that I'd finally start eating healthily someday. Yeah well, no thanks to you there mom. Apparently one of my uncles, on my father's side, scolded her once a long time ago on how poorly she was feeding both me and my brother, but specifically me, and she dismissed it all on the assumption that I'd start to eat clean food when I was ready to do so. Somehow that now because I chose to begin a healthy diet, she's slightly smug about being proven right that everything would work out in the end, despite often providing me with the worst kind of non-food to eat.

My brother, somehow, wasn't nearly as badly effected by all this as I was, even as we were growing up. He ate slightly better than me as a kid, but not by much. Still, he never suffered from significant weight problems, nor did he ever struggle with anxiety, or anything else of the sort. My brother managed to dodge all the bullets I was pretty much riddled with as we were growing up. All the genetic runoff/weaknesses from our parents must've just fallen to me, I guess.

These days, I drink nothing, but water. No sugar, very little dairy, no bread, no red meat, and no pork. Lots of fruit and vegetables. It's been just about 3 years of this so far and I'd never want to eat any other way. I could still do with reducing my calorie intake though. A couple weeks of intermittent fasting would do me a world of good, I think.

I ate a lot of the high carb stuff too, and like the list you provided. SAME. I never struggled with being overweight though. Maybe because I was really athletic. I was a bit of a tomboy and always super active too. Or maybe it's just genetics. My brother has always been really thin and even at 35, he eats absolute shit and plays video games all day and still a stick. My sister struggled with her weight since she was a kid. She's obese now. I remember one time my dad making fun of her and called her fat and she ran upstairs crying to her bedroom. That in itself is messed up, but looking back on it, it was totally their fault. They were the ones feeding her crap. Looking back at pictures, at that point she wasn't even really that "fat" just more developed for her age.
My parents were the same with pets growing up too. Always over feeding the animals. It's really sad.
It's weird that your mom thought you would just magically change your diet one day. It doesn't surprise me though. Parents also often kind of have a defensive nature when you criticize anything they did. My sister feeds her children crap now too and I've commented on it. I wouldn't say I scolded her, but I did kind of lecture her once. I was telling her how I felt dumbed down by our diets growing up. She just kind of laughed and didn't take me seriously. My nephew was diagnosed with ADHD when he was probably 10 or so and has been on adderall ever since. He's about to hit puberty. It really kills me that she's feeding him that poison. She doesn't seem to understand how serious of a drug that is. She's getting her nursing degree right now too.
These days I eat much better. I think once people notice the difference a healthy diet makes, they actually start to crave it. Maybe not though. I usually don't even crave the bad stuff anymore (unless I'm PMSing) and I think it's because my brain has made the association now. Kind of like how some people can't drink a certain liquor after getting violently ill once. Just not as extreme. The keto diet almost completely got rid of my PMS. Though it also made my anxiety worse, even though it helped with depression and also messed up digestion even though I was getting enough fiber, so after a year I stopped. I still have a pretty low to moderate carb intake though, just not keto low on most days.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, Callie Arcale, Imaginos and 3 others
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I never struggled with being overweight though. Maybe because I was really athletic. I was a bit of a tomboy and always super active too. Or maybe it's just genetics. My brother has always been really thin and even at 35, he eats absolute shit and plays video games all day and still a stick.

Yeah, I was largely the opposite. It's not like I just sat around the house all day back then, but I wasn't what you'd call athletic either. I might've been if I weren't such an anxiety riddled wreck, which itself heavily disinclined me from participating in any group activities (like sports and such), but I still got out on occasion to play with my brother and his friends. My mother's struggled with being overweight for a long time now. Even to this day, she's still trying to get that under control. However, when she was my age, she was by all accounts pretty fit and lean. My father's always been pretty average as well. Not exactly thin, but certainly not fat either. Just kind of in the middle. And then, of course, there's my brother who's pretty much always been in great shape. Genetically, I'm not sure whether my metabolism is fucked or not, but I don't know. It does seem like that's the case frankly, even despite not really having a similar example of it in my immediate family. I mean, everyone in my brother's girlfriend's family is like 5 feet tall or less and very thin. Meanwhile her aunt is apparently something like 6' 2" and weighs close to 400 pounds. My point being that there's random quirks in everything. Outlying bits of faulty genetic code that somehow, against the odds, push their way to the surface. All to ruin our lives and make them that much harder to live.

Like I said, I guess I must've just been the genetic runoff from both my parents. Personally speaking, I used to weigh close to 300 pounds, until a few years back when I finally managed to drop myself down to a relatively healthy weight. The lowest I got to was 167, but I've since risen back up a little to 185/190. The biggest problem I still struggle with is my calorie intake. My metabolism isn't fast enough to burn off excess calories, so they can slowly keep adding up over time. A fruit and fiber muffin here a Starbucks chilean tuna wrap over there, and suddenly the numbers on the weight scale start going up again. Like I said, I really ought to do another round of fasting. Ideally, I'd like to drop myself down to as low as 160 or even 155. Either that, or I should start going to the gym with my mom and really begin working out hard on a consistent and daily basis. One of the two, at least.

Looking back at pictures, at that point she wasn't even really that "fat" just more developed for her age.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought I was "fat" when I was a young kid, but I actually looked pretty normal. If anything, my brother looked a bit fatter than me at times. It wasn't really until my late teenage years, after becoming a complete recluse, when I really started to pack on the pounds.

My mother got called "fat" by her parents as well, even though she wasn't. In her case, it was a huge blow to her self-esteem that often left her in tears, which later led to unhealthy habits developing, which then led to her tragically becoming overweight as a result. Through their cruelty, they basically turned from thin to fat. In her case, I wonder if it was this cruelty that was shown to her by her own parents which then gave her the unwise conclusion that her children should be able to eat whatever it is they want and to not judge them for their eating habits. It's unfortunate how one thing can lead to another, in a sense that all end up suffering as a result.

It's weird that your mom thought you would just magically change your diet one day.

Near as I can tell, it was basically just her desperate hope that I'd somehow sort myself out, disguised as "motherly intuition". My mother has always believed herself to be a bit of a "psychic", so for her when she gets these otherwise wishful feelings, she then treats them as if they were premonitions. Of course, the fact that I did actually lose weight and begin eating a healthy diet only encouraged her on this front, but thankfully she largely just keeps that sort of thing to herself these days.

I wouldn't say I scolded her, but I did kind of lecture her once. I was telling her how I felt dumbed down by our diets growing up.

I bet that neither did my uncle. At least not as badly as my mother claims. She just has a way of over stressing what people say sometimes, to the point of occasionally blowing out of proportion what was otherwise a passing/trivial comment. Having said that, my uncle, whether knowingly or not, can indeed be very opinionated and judgemental. It's true at least that the influence of processed sugar can have disastrous effects on our bodies. Not everyone's bodies I suppose, but not every smoker develops lung cancer either. It's still a huge health risk. It's a shame that neither your sister now, nor my mother in the past, managed to realize this crucial piece of information and could've therefore acted accordingly. My poor diet may not have caused all my problems, but it certainly didn't help stymie them either. The way it might have negatively effected me on a cognitive level, such as not being able to preform as well in school as I otherwise could have or just not being able think through my issues more clearly, can't ever be discounted.

Most of the "food" that's out there can barely even be defined as such. The term "food desert" didn't come out of nowhere, after all. And you're correct that sugar is a drug that is, in its own way, just as insidious as any other. There was even a "big sugar lobby" that knowingly misdirected people towards thinking fat was what they needed to watch out for, at a massive cost to public health. At the end of the day, sugar is money. Keeps people coming back more, which means more profits for big Ag and fast food chains. The parallels to former pro-smoking lobbies are striking.

It's a shame that people overfeed their pets as well. A cat doesn't know any better and will simply eat itself to obesity in no time at all if you let it. Our first cat was so fat that my mother used to be embarrassed bringing her into the vet, since other people in the waiting room couldn't help, but whisper to themselves about how shocking/sad it was that our cat was so overweight. Sadly, my mother just doubled down and ignored potential wake-up calls like that and just kept on overfeeding our cats, and thereby maintaining their obesity as a result. It was only near the end that our cats finally lost weight, but only on account of their health problems. One being on account of a head tumor, and the other on account of hyperthyroidism.

These days I eat much better. I think once people notice the difference a healthy diet makes, they actually start to crave it.

Sadly, my healthy diet hasn't done much to to improve my overall predicament/disposition, but, even so, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. These days even just looking at some of the stuff that I used to eat makes me downright nauseous. A good, fresh, crunchy apple is pretty much all I crave nowadays.

I'm also largely agoraphobic at this point (I can't leave the house by myself on account of being afraid of the outside world), so it's not often I ever get out of the house. This certainly doesn't do me any favors either, as far as my current health/weight is concerned and to keep trying to improve when possible.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, ohhgeeitsme and Callie Arcale
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I had a very normal diet up until about 12. Then I started drinking Coca Cola and McDonald's as well as lots of junk food. Now that's been my diet for 15 years. I still eat almost no fruit or vegetables and drink very little water. Now it's damaged my body and given me a lot of pain and strange sensations.

• Aww..
Reactions: Élégie and ohhgeeitsme
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
Anything I wanted tbh + daily vitamins and produce.

Reactions: ohhgeeitsme
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
My diet for the most part was really good - mainly freshly cooked organic homemade vegetarian meals with lots of fruits and vegetables. I wasn't allowed any sodas or non-organic sweets. The only expectation was on my or other children's birthdays or if someone gave me stuff in school.
Until this day I have only eaten at Mcdonalds (Nuggets and fries) once and at Burgerking twice (two Veggieburgers) - never been to any other fastfood chains in my life.
I still mainly eat that way today - except for a two year "outburst" after the most severe phase of my anorexia where I ate like crap but nowadays I don't want all that stuff anymore.
But despite always having a clean diet my weight was all over the place (chubby kid, skinnier adult, chubbier adult and back to normal) not always relating to what I ate but probably how much of it.
All in all I would say that being raised very healthy at least gives you the advantage to already being used to eating fruits and vegetables and actually liking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Élégie and DocNo
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
Hard to think back that far but I do remember eating KFC, lot's and LOT'S of KFC. During my childhood my parents had divorced when I was less than 5 years old so my eating diet probably wasn't the most balanced, when I was with my Dad he always indulged me with fast food if we didn't go to a sitdown restaurant. I also had a thing for spicy foods, a mix of spicy junk food like cheetos or pork rinds didn't help (oh how I miss spicy pork rinds). It was the same with my mom except more fast food like Mcdonalds, Wendy's etc. She was taking care of me and my siblings by herself after she divorced our dad so I get that she didn't have time to micromanage what we ate. Having her boyfriend around didn't help, there were plenty of fights to be had in my house for years and years before he finally moved out, eating healthy was far down the list of importance.

Today i'm suffering the consequences of eating so much fast food and spicy food over the years. I got diagnosed with a stomach ulcer around 2017 and can't touch spicy food unless I want to suffocate and burn my esophagus from the inside out. I really shouldn't eat fastfood like I do but since I don't know how to cook it's all I really eat. I've been severely underweight most of my life and my Doctor encourages me to eat and gain weight, but it's almost impossible when my options are so limited. As i'm typing this i'm in a constant state of hunger because while I eat somewhat I never eat enough, it's exhausting.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie
T

TessB

Warlock
Oct 13, 2020
Bland as fuck.. boiled potatoes and a chop, corned beef, stewed fruit, vienetta as a treat, boiled eggs, and no this wasn't the 1940s..

• Aww..
Reactions: Badatlove