• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Another thread I barely know anything about. I have made some experiences with mental illness and watched a lot of documentaries on the Nazis. My words are ones of layman and probably any scientifical research would be better than reading this thread.
I copy and paste parts of the wikipedia article which I consider pretty good.

Difficulty of Hitler's psychopathography

In psychiatry, pathography has developed a poor reputation, especially diagnostics that have been carried out ex post, without the direct examination of the patient.[2] It is even considered unethical (see Goldwater rule).[3] The German psychiatrist Hans Bürger-Prinz went so far as to state that any remote diagnostics constitute a "fatal abuse of psychiatry".[4] The immense range of mental disorders that Hitler has been credited with over time indicates how inconclusive this method can be (see table).[5] Another example of the deficiencies present in many of the following Hitler-pathographies is an either completely absent or grossly abbreviated discussion of the abundance of publications which have already been submitted on this subject by other authors.

In the case of Hitler, psychopathography poses particular problems. Firstly, authors who write about Hitler's personal matters have to deal with the issue that a possibly voyeuristic readership uncritically accepts even the most sparsely proven speculations – such as that which happened in the case of Lothar Machtan's book The Hidden Hitler (2001).[6] Even more concerning is the warning issued by some authors that pathologizing Hitler would inevitably mean discharging him of at least some responsibility for his actions.[7] Others fear that by pathologizing or demonizing Hitler, all the blame for crimes of Nazi Germany could be placed entirely on him, whilst the populace and those in positions of power who enabled Hitler to rule would consequently be relieved from responsibility.[8] Famed is Hannah Arendt's coinage of the phrase the "banality of evil"; in 1963, she stated that for a Nazi perpetrator as Adolf Eichmann, mental normality and the ability to commit mass murder were not mutually exclusive.[9] Harald Welzer came to a similar conclusion in his book Täter. Wie aus ganz normalen Menschen Massenmörder werden.[10]

In his 2015 biography, Peter Longerich pointed out how Hitler implemented his political goals as a strong dictator, with assertiveness, high readiness to assume risk and unlimited power.[11] Some authors were fundamentally opposed to any attempt to explain Hitler, for example by psychological means.[12] Claude Lanzman went further, labeling such attempts "obscene"; after the completion of his film Shoah (1985), he felt such attempts bordered on Holocaust denial, with particular criticism directed towards the historian Rudolph Binion.[13]

As the psychiatrist Jan Ehrenwald has pointed out, the question as to how a possibly mentally ill Hitler could have gained millions of enthusiastic followers who supported his policies until 1945 has often been neglected.[14] Daniel Goldhagen argued in 1996 that Hitler's political ascent was not in any way related to his psychopathology, but rather was a consequence of the precarious social conditions that existed at that time in Germany.[15] On the other hand, some authors have noted that figures such as Charles Manson and Jim Jones, who have been described as having a severe mental illness such as schizophrenia, nonetheless succeeded in having a tremendous influence on their groups of followers.[16] Early on, the view was also expressed that Hitler was able to handle his psychopathology skillfully, and was aware of how he could use his symptoms to effectively steer the emotions of his audience.[17] Still other authors have suggested that Hitler's followers themselves were mentally disturbed;[18] evidence for this claim however was not produced.[19] The question how Hitler's individual psychopathology might have been linked with the enthusiasm of his followers was first discussed in 2000 by the interdisciplinary team of authors Matussek/Matussek/Marbach.

My opinion on that: I like this paragraph a lot. Speculating on Hitler's conditions can be unethical, voyeuristic and be used as an excuse for his crimes. Why I am still doing it? Maybe someone with some of the conditions can give some insights what it feels like to have them. And whether it is still possible to be leader of a country. This thread might be a little bit unethical because it is specualtive and remote diagnosis even of psychiatrist have a very bad reputation. However I want to emphasize that his conditions are not in any way an exuse for his actions and it does not play down his crimes against humanity which were disgusting, despicable, hateful and should have deserved a way bigger punishment.

Here is another informative paragraph:

Psychoactive drug use

Hitler regularly consumed methamphetamine, barbiturates, amphetamine, opiates and cocaine.[80][81] In 2015, Norman Ohler published a work Der totale Rausch ("The Total Rush", translated in 2016 as Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany) in which he claims that all of Hitler's irrational behavior can be attributed to his excessive drug use. Helena Barop, who reviewed the book in Die Zeit, wrote that Ohler's account is not based on solid research.

Now my personal opinion:
I also don't think the drugs are the sole reason for his behavior. I could very well imagine that Hitler had several conditions. I had psychosis and I have bipolar. I doubt Hilter had a psychosis or had bipolar at least not before his health went dowhill. It is fact that he took so many drugs. It is likely that affected his psyche. I am pretty good at controlling myself in psychosis, mania, mixed manic-depressive states and I cannot imagine that anyone could get elected when they are in a psychotic episode. I have met people who became antisemites during their psychoses but I think no one would take them serious. However to that time mental illnesses were less known and the demands of a state leader were way less. There are rumors Churchil was either bipolar or had major depression a couple of times while in office. Today in Western countries this would be impossible.

I could imagine he had a couple of personality disorders. Especially the dark triade you be personality traits that fit to him.
The Dark Triad is a psychological theory that describes three interconnected personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy.

The following paragraph of the wikipedia article sounds plausible to me:

Psychopathy / antisocial personality disorder

Given the inhumanity of his crimes, Hitler was early on linked with "psychopathy", a severe personality disorder whose main symptoms are a great or complete lack of empathy, social responsibility and conscience. The biologically determined concept still plays a role in the psychiatric forensic science, but it is no longer found in the modern medical classification systems (DSM-IV and ICD-10). Today, corresponding clinical pictures are mostly classified as signs of an antisocial personality disorder. However, the symptomatology is rare, and unlike in popular discourse, where the classification of Hitler as a "psychopath" is commonplace,[71] psychiatrists have only occasionally endeavored to associate him with psychopathy or antisocial personality disorder.

My personal opinion again: PTSD sounds also plausible because he almost died in WWI. I think psychosis or bipolar in a young age does not sound convincing to me. You have to function at rallies and campaign speeches. Hitler's health went downhill during the war. The drugs were one reason. If you read which drugs he took no wonder why. Psychosis at a very late state does not sound impossible to me. I think personality disorders like psychopathy or narcisissm could fit. The people are still able to manage their workload, can be manipulative and still function in our society. They can hide in the shadows.
Moreover I doubt that all his followers were just mentally ill that sounds like a lame excuse.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think this is a very interesting subject. I understand what you're saying- we're not psychiatrists- we can't officially diagnose him. Still- I don't think it hurts to speculate. In a similar way to the way people speculate about serial killers really. And I mean- he was when you think about it. I think it's important though- in trying to be aware of people around us and in the future who may have similar traits.

The really worrying thing is how people will support such individuals. That's not to lay blame solely on the German people. I expect many countries have very dubious leaders that none the less have supporters.

I can't really speak as to what mental disorders Hitler had but it was obvious he was driven by hate, prejudice and a sense of injustice. When a leader or a country feels it has been wronged- it's terrifying what it will do in response. Look at what happened after 9/11. People justify truly terrible acts when they believe they are under threat or- they have been deprived of what they have a right to.

I'm sure that drug use and mental illness further enabled Hitler to act the way he did- with no remorse etc. However- can mental illness and drug use make you so full of anger and hatred to begin with? I'm not so sure. I don't know much about Hitler's earlier life. What was it that made him so angry and full of bitterness and injustice to begin with? There must have been causes for it initially. I'm guessing those feelings just became more and more intense.

Still- the same must have been felt in Germany too. Or- something of it. Otherwise, why else would people have followed such extreme orders? They too must have felt either threatened by the people they were exterminating, deeply wronged by them or- saw them as less than human. That's a worrying trait in humankind in general- seeing people as 'other'. The Milgram experiment showed how people will obey authority figures- even when it involves hurting others.

Having said all that- I couldn't believe it when the UK joined the war in Afghanistan. There was so much public opposition to that. So- you have to wonder just how much power the general public has.

When it comes tp responsibility though- culpability- most of the time, I think people won't accept deminished responsibility for serial killers- so- why should we accept it for Hitler? What I think does become complicated is when we look at officers in his army. What would happen to them if they didn't obey their orders? What would happen to them and their families if they defied their orders and tried to save people? I don't think any of us can really judge how we would behave unless we were in that environment. We might like to think we'd do the right thing- but, would we really if it meant going to jail or watching our own family butchered?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think this is a very interesting subject. I understand what you're saying- we're not psychiatrists- we can't officially diagnose him. Still- I don't think it hurts to speculate. In a similar way to the way people speculate about serial killers really. And I mean- he was when you think about it. I think it's important though- in trying to be aware of people around us and in the future who may have similar traits.

The really worrying thing is how people will support such individuals. That's not to lay blame solely on the German people. I expect many countries have very dubious leaders that none the less have supporters.

I can't really speak as to what mental disorders Hitler had but it was obvious he was driven by hate, prejudice and a sense of injustice. When a leader or a country feels it has been wronged- it's terrifying what it will do in response. Look at what happened after 9/11. People justify truly terrible acts when they believe they are under threat or- they have been deprived of what they have a right to.

I'm sure that drug use and mental illness further enabled Hitler to act the way he did- with no remorse etc. However- can mental illness and drug use make you so full of anger and hatred to begin with? I'm not so sure. I don't know much about Hitler's earlier life. What was it that made him so angry and full of bitterness and injustice to begin with? There must have been causes for it initially. I'm guessing those feelings just became more and more intense.

Still- the same must have been felt in Germany too. Or- something of it. Otherwise, why else would people have followed such extreme orders? They too must have felt either threatened by the people they were exterminating, deeply wronged by them or- saw them as less than human. That's a worrying trait in humankind in general- seeing people as 'other'. The Milgram experiment showed how people will obey authority figures- even when it involves hurting others.

Having said all that- I couldn't believe it when the UK joined the war in Afghanistan. There was so much public opposition to that. So- you have to wonder just how much power the general public has.

When it comes tp responsibility though- culpability- most of the time, I think people won't accept deminished responsibility for serial killers- so- why should we accept it for Hitler? What I think does become complicated is when we look at officers in his army. What would happen to them if they didn't obey their orders? What would happen to them and their families if they defied their orders and tried to save people? I don't think any of us can really judge how we would behave unless we were in that environment. We might like to think we'd do the right thing- but, would we really if it meant going to jail or watching our own family butchered?
I think I have at least some information to provide. It might be half knowledge but here is it.
Hitler lived for a while in Vienna. Austria was a very diverse and multicultural country I think they were unioned with Hungary. The state did not properly work. Hitler applied to an art school but was denied by a presumably jewish art teacher. I am not sure how much this is only a myth but this is a story has been told quite often. This fueled his hate for foreigners and jews.

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Hitler was talented - this is something that is very rarely talked about. We know about his artistic talents, but he was an extremely gifted orator. He had the ability to captivate and enthral large audiences, and his vitriolic rage and fury went down very well at a time when the average German citizen was suffering very badly. And there was general bitterness in the air about how they were basically made the sole scapegoat for WW1 - when in fact, Germany were only partially to blame for that war.

I think Hitler unfortunately came along during a perfect storm of historical events, where Germany were at their weakest point and this powerful energetic maniac is promising to rebuild the nation and project their power and greatness back on the world. I think there is no doubt he was mentally unwell and yes very likely on drugs too... but none of that takes away from the fact that he also had ability and leadership qualities. We tend to disregard the leadership ability or talents of bad people, because we don't want to be seen to say anything positive about them. (understandably)

There is a life lesson from Hitler. When you're at your weakest, you can be seduced by things that make you feel powerful. But sometimes those things are very bad for you in the long run... recognising this fact in the moment is not very easy, because all you can think about is how weak and powerless you currently are.

Reactions: sserafim
TheWorld'sLeftovers

TheWorld'sLeftovers

Low consciousness
Aug 23, 2023
Moreover I doubt that all his followers were just mentally ill that sounds like a lame excuse.
refer to the "third wave" experiment: ran in a high school, it presents a grim model of how societies turn to totalitarianism regimes. When your family and career is at stake, you'll believe anything

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
Hitler was talented - this is something that is very rarely talked about. We know about his artistic talents, but he was an extremely gifted orator. He had the ability to captivate and enthral large audiences, and his vitriolic rage and fury went down very well at a time when the average German citizen was suffering very badly. And there was general bitterness in the air about how they were basically made the sole scapegoat for WW1 - when in fact, Germany were only partially to blame for that war.

I think Hitler unfortunately came along during a perfect storm of historical events, where Germany were at their weakest point and this powerful energetic maniac is promising to rebuild the nation and project their power and greatness back on the world. I think there is no doubt he was mentally unwell and yes very likely on drugs too... but none of that takes away from the fact that he also had ability and leadership qualities. We tend to disregard the leadership ability or talents of bad people, because we don't want to be seen to say anything positive about them. (understandably)

There is a life lesson from Hitler. When you're at your weakest, you can be seduced by things that make you feel powerful. But sometimes those things are very bad for you in the long run... recognising this fact in the moment is not very easy, because all you can think about is how weak and powerless you currently are.
I think that Hitler's rise to power is a fascinating subject as well. I've heard that he was very charismatic, and a good orator. He ultimately had the power to appeal to and connect with the masses. I also believe that he was in the right place at the right time. Germany was devastated after WWI, and they needed someone to blame, so they blamed the Jews. They basically used the Jews as a scapegoat. Hitler was able to use and leverage this hatred against the Jews to become a dictator, and ultimately take control over Germany.

Btw, I heard that having dark triad traits is actually beneficial to becoming powerful and advancing up the hierarchy. Most CEO's and people in positions of power are actually psychopaths and sociopaths…you'd need a certain degree of ruthlessness, wouldn't you say?

Last edited: