BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019
Well, this is a long story and I'm on phone, so shorter version then.

Disclaimer: I'm no saint. When presented with people who need help I've done my best.

One Friday morning many years ago, I finished my class and walked into the teacher's room in Bundang, S Korea.

Several teachers were there and having an animated conversation about someone who had come into the reception area in pajamas and tried to apply for a job.

Turns out he's African American, looked confused and wandered off. I wasn't as amused as my colleagues and stormed out of the building after quickly scolding them for not offering help to someone who was most likely experiencing psychosis.

I walked around the block and spotted him. He was 21-22 years old, 6'8" ish, indeed sporting pajamas and pacing on a relatively quiet stretch of sidewalk clearly talking to himself.

I approached him, got his first name and tried to get him to show me where he was staying. We ended up in the parking garage (that supported my school among other businesses) and it became evident that he'd spent the night in the cheap motel exactly one floor above my workplace.

Two large check-in bags and a small carry-on were sitting in the corner. The parking attendant said something about him being kicked out of the motel. The young man was clearly "lost" and I had no idea what to do at first, so I took him to my headshrinker (pill pusher) nearby and here's where I'll have to start briefing what transpired:

- My shrink said, "I don't do psychosis."
- Motel said, "We need $100. And he was here partying with two other foreigners. They went over time, couldn't pay and ditched him."
- Hospital said, "He's in trouble but we can't do anything."

When the hospital was checking him out, I ruffled through his bags. I found no passport in his belongings (but 1 copy), he'd arrived only days previously, appeared to have had a breakdown in route or shortly after arrival (journal), had had a job (korean sponsor) and had about $15 in cash, zero credit/debit cards.

- His Korean job/sponsor said, "no comment other than: keep him away from us."
- His parents (in Georgia) said, "We're at a loss, cannot really help. He was fine when he left. We're glad you're helping him."
- The embassy said, "Get him here before 5pm (impossible) or first thing Monday morning. Or,...get him arrested."
- The police station said, "Don't do that. And no, we can't help."
- A church pastor (after delivering a powerful sermon on helping others and gathering all 1st time comers into a circle) said, "Next."
Me: "What?"
"Uhm, I want to hear the next person's story."
- Another doctor in a different hospital said, "Let's operate."
WTF?

It took about 6 days to get him an emergency passport and on a plane home. It was challenging in oh so many ways, mostly trying to keep track of him and he disappeared 3x. Once on my watch and twice on the embassy's.

He made it home and was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. Apparently the massive shift in environment triggered it as he hadn't previously exhibited any symptoms.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni, pain in my heart, Im2high4this and 3 others
pain in my heart

pain in my heart

Oct 26, 2019
An elderly woman collapse in front of the taxi queue and I called the ambulance and went to the hospital with her. Gave her 80 bucks cause she didn't had any money.

• Love
Reactions: Im2high4this and Righttodie
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
Well, this is a long story and I'm on phone, so shorter version then.

Disclaimer: I'm no saint. When presented with people who need help I've done my best.

One Friday morning many years ago, I finished my class and walked into the teacher's room in Bundang, S Korea.

Several teachers were there and having an animated conversation about someone who had come into the reception area in pajamas and tried to apply for a job.

Turns out he's African American, looked confused and wandered off. I wasn't as amused as my colleagues and stormed out of the building after quickly scolding them for not offering help to someone who was most likely experiencing psychosis.

I walked around the block and spotted him. He was 21-22 years old, 6'8" ish, indeed sporting pajamas and pacing on a relatively quiet stretch of sidewalk clearly talking to himself.

I approached him, got his first name and tried to get him to show me where he was staying. We ended up in the parking garage (that supported my school among other businesses) and it became evident that he'd spent the night in the cheap motel exactly one floor above my workplace.

Two large check-in bags and a small carry-on were sitting in the corner. The parking attendant said something about him being kicked out of the motel. The young man was clearly "lost" and I had no idea what to do at first, so I took him to my headshrinker (pill pusher) nearby and here's where I'll have to start briefing what transpired:

- My shrink said, "I don't do psychosis."
- Motel said, "We need $100. And he was here partying with two other foreigners. They went over time, couldn't pay and ditched him."
- Hospital said, "He's in trouble but we can't do anything."

When the hospital was checking him out, I ruffled through his bags. I found no passport in his belongings (but 1 copy), he'd arrived only days previously, appeared to have had a breakdown in route or shortly after arrival (journal), had had a job (korean sponsor) and had about $15 in cash, zero credit/debit cards.

- His Korean job/sponsor said, "no comment other than: keep him away from us."
- His parents (in Georgia) said, "We're at a loss, cannot really help. He was fine when he left. We're glad you're helping him."
- The embassy said, "Get him here before 5pm (impossible) or first thing Monday morning. Or,...get him arrested."
- The police station said, "Don't do that. And no, we can't help."
- A church pastor (after delivering a powerful sermon on helping others and gathering all 1st time comers into a circle) said, "Next."
Me: "What?"
"Uhm, I want to hear the next person's story."
- Another doctor in a different hospital said, "Let's operate."
WTF?

It took about 6 days to get him an emergency passport and on a plane home. It was challenging in oh so many ways, mostly trying to keep track of him and he disappeared 3x. Once on my watch and twice on the embassy's.

He made it home and was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. Apparently the massive shift in environment triggered it as he hadn't previously exhibited any symptoms.

Jesus. There is good in this world. You went above and beyond for someone you didn't know before.

What made you do what you did ?
That's hard. I'm not a usually charitable person.

I don't know if this counts, but I pay for my parent's health insurance. Oh, and once I gave a girl $15K to pay for her college tuition. She'd have dropped out otherwise.

That's it. I'm not a good person...
I would say you are really kind and generous person

Last edited:
Reactions: Im2high4this
Im2high4this

Im2high4this

I’m done here. Zero connections. Won’t miss it.
Jun 13, 2019
I took my EX to an expensive dinner, bought her flowers, went for a walk after, then took her back home, where I had my friend stop by and throw rose pedals everywhere and light candles while we were gone. Got down on one knee and proposed. She said yes, then changed her mind a week later.

Looking back, that entire 5 year relationship what's the nicest thing I've done lol.

• Aww..
Reactions: Righttodie
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
I took my EX to an expensive dinner, bought her flowers, went for a walk after, then took her back home, where I had my friend stop by and throw rose pedals everywhere and light candles while we were gone. Got down on one knee and proposed. She said yes, then changed her mind a week later.

Looking back, that entire 5 year relationship what's the nicest thing I've done lol.

Sorry it didn't work out. Can't imagine how painful it would have been to see her change her mind.

You did a lovely thing

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I talked this young lad out of suicide. He said I was the only person who'd ever been able to help him. That brought me to tears

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni, pain in my heart and Righttodie
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
I talked this young lad out of suicide. He said I was the only person who'd ever been able to help him. That brought me to tears
That's beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: Mr2005
Im2high4this

Im2high4this

I’m done here. Zero connections. Won’t miss it.
Jun 13, 2019
Sorry it didn't work out. Can't imagine how painful it would have been to see her change her mind.

You did a lovely thing

Thank you. The funny thing is, I was super upset for like 24 hours, then realized I just avoided marriage with somebody who will leave me. That makes me feel a lot more at peace with what happened. Better for her to leave before she can take half my shit with her haha.

• Love
BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019
Jesus. There is good in this world. You went above and beyond for someone you didn't know before.

What made you do what you did ?

Thanks. I honestly couldn't say. Looking back now, it's almost as if I had no choice. Like I wasn't making all the decisions or something. The situation presented itself and before I could do anything, I was swept away and into the story. There was no appropriate time to opt out.

After the 1st hospital, I took him to an Internet cafe to see if he could open his email, he did.
Went to the bathroom and "poof" gone.
He had no phone(!)
I only had his email, so....
Took all his bags to my place, got my wife and girlfriend (nevermind, that's another story) organized and we searched for him late into the night. Around 3am, I got a call from a worker at a different cafe saying he's there. I'd dropped my number into his email several times and in the subject line, etc.

On the Saturday (next) night, we all went out to eat bbq, as you do. At the "halftime", we left the girls and walked outside so I could smoke.
Sitting on some steps leading down to a river, he had a sudden moment of clarity. Just looked at me straight (from behind the veil) - he appeared...very clear, sane, untroubled.
"Thanks BE."
"No, it's fine Duane, it's my pleasure."
Looking deeply in my eyes.
"No, really man. Thank you."
"You're welcome."
Bro hug

Minutes later back in the restaurant he looked like he was walking in a dream again.

Ironic, kinda. Now, I won't go to a restaurant.... because of anxiety and the...destructive horror of my own reckoning in regards to ctb.

• Love
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
Thank you. The funny thing is, I was super upset for like 24 hours, then realized I just avoided marriage with somebody who will leave me. That makes me feel a lot more at peace with what happened. Better for her to leave before she can take half my shit with her haha.

Actuallly thats a bullet you avoided. Makes sense. It still hurts though
I wish you had found peace with someone else, nonetheless.
Thanks. I honestly couldn't say. Looking back now, it's almost as if I had no choice. Like I wasn't making all the decisions or something. The situation presented itself and before I could do anything, I was swept away and into the story. There was no appropriate time to opt out.

After the 1st hospital, I took him to an Internet cafe to see if he could open his email, he did.
Went to the bathroom and "poof" gone.
He had no phone(!)
I only had his email, so....
Took all his bags to my place, got my wife and girlfriend (nevermind, that's another story) organized and we searched for him late into the night. Around 3am, I got a call from a worker at a different cafe saying he's there. I'd dropped my number into his email several times and in the subject line, etc.

On the Saturday (next) night, we all went out to eat bbq, as you do. At the "halftime", we left the girls and walked outside so I could smoke.
Sitting on some steps leading down to a river, he had a sudden moment of clarity. Just looked at me straight (from behind the veil) - he appeared...very clear, sane, untroubled.
"Thanks BE."
"No, it's fine Duane, it's my pleasure."
Looking deeply in my eyes.
"No, really man. Thank you."
"You're welcome."
Bro hug

Minutes later back in the restaurant he looked like he was walking in a dream again.

Ironic, kinda. Now, I won't go to a restaurant.... because of anxiety and the...destructive horror of my own reckoning in regards to ctb.
Jesus. You are something else. I wish the world had more people like you.
We can only imagine how beautiful and safe a world that would be.

I am sure if he can come to his senses some time, he would realise you were the only person in the world that tried to save him even though you were in no way part of his life. Even though you had to go out of your own way.
And that's special, in a world this bent.

Last edited:
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
Help raise money to get dogs out of a high kill shelter in Romania and then pay for them to come to the UK.

• Love
Reactions: Midnight, Righttodie, pain in my heart and 1 other person
seekingoblivion

seekingoblivion

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
Don't know man.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
When I was teaching high school I had a single teen mom who was living on her own. Found out she didn't have enough for rent or Christmas things for the baby because her hours at work had been cut. Another teacher and I anonymously paid her rent and I gave her a check to buy presents and food. I also used to pay for my students SAT fees, prom tickets, etc. I feel like they don't count as nice acts though since I was just throwing money at people, but I've got a heap of letters thanking me so I guess it all counts.

• Love
Reactions: Midnight, Rachel74, Righttodie and 1 other person
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
Help raise money to get dogs out of a high kill shelter in Romania and then pay for them to come to the UK.

You are a lovely person

When I was teaching high school I had a single teen mom who was living on her own. Found out she didn't have enough for rent or Christmas things for the baby because her hours at work had been cut. Another teacher and I anonymously paid her rent and I gave her a check to buy presents and food. I also used to pay for my students SAT fees, prom tickets, etc. I feel like they don't count as nice acts though since I was just throwing money at people, but I've got a heap of letters thanking me so I guess it all counts.

I think they do count as good acts. You did a great thing for so many.

I think most in this thread don't realise that they didn't really just do that act but also shine some hope in others that there is good, as ugly as the world is, the world can be as beautiful too, people here are testament to that. It gives me some hope at least as long as I am alive. Not that something good will happen to me, but at least in this world, that it doesn't necessarily have to always be cruel, but can also hold goodness, it makes it that much more bearable to exist in

Reactions: Morphinekiss
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I've never done anything nice that I can recall lol! Not out of kindness anyway, it was guilt or some other underlying reason :pfff:

• Hugs
Righttodie

Righttodie

Maybe in another life
Apr 10, 2019
I've never done anything nice that I can recall lol! Not out of kindness anyway, it was guilt or some other underlying reason :pfff:
I am sure you have helped people here it seems, your profile us full of posts from others

Reactions: Final Escape
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I'm going to be honest. I don't like people very much so I don't do nice things.