N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is quite a general question with a lot of possible answers. I have made a lot of horrible experiences in my childhood but there was also good things.
I liked the Pokemon games of the past way more. The new games are going downhill. They have such a poor quality. I probably will never ever play a new Pokemon game with high quality.

Adultlife in general is sometimes really stressful. All the responsibilities you have. As a child you often don't know existential fears and sorrows. Or kids have other coping mechanisms than adults.

I have more concerns about my health. As child I did not give a fuck about anything. My lifestyle was really unhealthy. This had advantages and disadvantages. I never found the right balance. In the past I was really unhealthy now I am quite healthy. Though I barely do sport.

As a child I never feared how to pay the bills. I had naive dreams and really believed they would all come true. I was so naive and innocent. By growing older I realized that most of my inner desires will likely not be fulfilled. I am becoming more and more bitter when I am facing reality. It hurts. Maybe this is a reason why I normally suppress childhood memories.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui, Sherri, ColorlessTrees and 5 others
Yann

Yann

Feb 27, 2022
I actually have had a very lucky life. My childhood was a little tumultuous for certain reasons, but there was always food on the table, a roof over our heads, new games and toys. And I got to do a lot of different stuff. I still do... I continue to be very lucky. I have not been traumatized or gone through great loss. It's part of why I feel bad for wanting to CTB so bad... most people have deep underlying trauma or something. I am just a nutcase who has severe, chronic depression on both sides of the family and got it extra, extra, extra bad.

The thing I miss the most about childhood was hope. God, I was so hopeful. I looked forward to the future. I believed life had meaning. I believed in myself. I thought I could overcome my problems. When I became depressed as an adolescent, I still at least had some hope. I realize that it's gone now. There is no hope.

The Pokemon games of my childhood were great. I agree that we will probably not see one so good in our lifetimes... especially if I really do end up catching the next bus ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, demuic, waitingforrest and 1 other person
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Absolutely nothing period. I got food, roof over my head and clothes and that was it. Oh, and my 'dad" beating the hell out of me and then having both of my "parents" kick me out at 18 and never hearing from them again, 100% their choice.

Best time of my life is right now, here with everyone on Sanctioned Suicide.

Walter

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, demuic, waitingforrest and 3 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Not much that I can recall. Maybe some cartoons but there are still decent ones being made even today. My childhood was mostly sheltered and to me it didn't actually start until I was around 14.

Reactions: waitingforrest
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I guess the fact that i was happy ,innocent ,naive , gullible and carefree even when bad stuff happened to me.. or maybe thats all a fragment of my memories.. who knows

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, demuic, noname223 and 2 others
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
Video games

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I have never wanted to be alive and even when I was a child I found death to be comforting. I have never enjoyed life and I do not have any positive memories of the past. I think when I was a child I was not as tired of living and I was less aware of all the suffering that exists. As the years have gone by and I have got older, each year I have felt worse overall.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, noname223, waitingforrest and 1 other person
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I honestly hated being a child. I wanted everything adult from a young age. I wanted freedom, choice, independence, money, sex, even real work over silly schoolwork. I had a very toxic home environment with a tyrant as a father and a weak mother so childhood had little to offer me but misery. I was a stressed, tortured child. I worried about bills as my parents screamed about it every night. I was less than 10 years old making budget charts to try to show them we can afford to live if he dialed down the drinking and smoking. I became a hypochondriac young as my parents often let me get very sick without taking me to a doctor because my father refused to pay the copays. That negligence irreversibly destroyed my health which eventually led to my facial deformity. My mental health is actually better now other than PTSD. My childhood was nothing short of a nightmare. My adulthood has been nothing short of a nightmare but I have more freedom. Sorry to go on a rant. It's good to get it out sometimes. Leads me to forgive myself because I had little chance of a good life from day 1.

The only thing that comes to mind that was better is video games and naps. Video games fall flat for me now when I use to get lost in it. Naps feel false somehow now? A deep childhood nap was the closest to death I've probably ever been. Just blissful oblivion with little responsibility to ignore.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere, ColorlessTrees, demuic and 4 others
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I didn't feel pressured by my sex life.

• Hugs
Reactions: O_oreo., waitingforrest and Foresight
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I'm surprised to hear you were abused as a child. I've always (maybe naively) thought of Germany as a country that very efficiently identifies and prevents child abuse.

To answer your question: I think American culture was much less ideologically zealous and authoritarian in the 2000's, music was better (I miss rock being mainstream), and the internet felt both more free and creative and less all-pervasive to the point where it intrudes too much on a lot of real-life things.

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, noname223 and waitingforrest
katagiri83

katagiri83

Like tears in rain
Jan 4, 2022
@noname223 , very sorry to read about you being abused.

Your thread reminded me of this quote from the Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa, it's a believable hypothesis for some:
"We all have two lives: The true, the one we dreamed of in childhood and go on dreaming of as adults in a substratum of mist; the false, the one we love when we live with others, the practical, the useful, the one we end up by being put in a coffin."

• Love
Reactions: demuic, noname223 and waitingforrest
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Cartoon Network, MTV and my family

• Love
Reactions: whywere
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I was less aware of how bleak the future looked. I was still naive that in order for people to be nice to me, I must be nice back to them. Turn out there are just some people that only take and take.

I wish I could go back in time and kill my younger self, the amount of pain that people cause is something that still plagues me to this day.

Even though I rarely have the energy to play video games anymore, I'm glad that they were able to distract me from the stresses of school.

As a adult, I find it strange how abnormal my childhood was, I thought everyone had the same experiences. I just feel sad yet happy whenever I see kids playing with each other. Feeling nostalgic for something that I never experienced.

Adulthood brings freedom, but childhood also has it's own kind of freedom, one without the expectations of society.

• Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I'm surprised to hear you were abused as a child. I've always (maybe naively) thought of Germany as a country that very efficiently identifies and prevents child abuse.

To answer your question: I think American culture was much less ideologically zealous and authoritarian in the 2000's, music was better (I miss rock being mainstream), and the internet felt both more free and creative and less all-pervasive to the point where it intrudes too much on a lot of real-life things.
No there is a lot of abuse also happening here. It was obvious I had mental problems in school but my teachers looked away. Even in primary school was it so damn obvious. The teachers looked away. One time in train I saw a dad beating his children. Me and another passenger tried to intervene but damn if does something like that in a public train I don't want to imagine what he does behind close doors.
The eyes of the child looked unbelievably sad and soulless.
Even in civilized countries people tend to be barbaric against the most vulnerable beings.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Nolan96
Kristicide

Kristicide

I am a prisoner locked up behind xanax bars
Dec 16, 2021
Not have anxiety or worry. Just living and playing. No homework, bills to pay, no aches and pains.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and ColorlessTrees
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Not being completely jaded and afflicted with an incurable condition.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and ColorlessTrees
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Playing endlessly with my babies, had so many, the houses the car, the mermaids, the princesses, well you got it lol. Also play with my friends outside. Ring on neighbour doors and run away, got caught a few times and got lectured by my parents.Going to the beach, stayed in the water so long that all of my skin was wrinkled, barbecues at the beach, and so much more. I miss those days so much, carefree, had it all and I did not knew it.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83, whywere, Foresight and 1 other person