L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
do you think there are unanswered questions philosophy has yet to grasp? will these questions be subsumed by other fields, such as physics? in particular, what are they?

Reactions: LifeQuitter
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
There are so many questions philosophy hasn't answered and can't answer. Plenty of which are talked about on this forum; such as the metaphysical. Our purpose, why are we here, what is the greater meaning of life... Etc.

Reactions: LifeQuitter and lamargue
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
There are no questions philosophy has answered to begin with.

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep, SmallKoy, LifeQuitter and 3 others
L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
There are no questions philosophy has answered to begin with.
philosophy seems to be better at raising questions than answering them. having said that, i think there are domain-specific problems in the field that have been raised and subsequently answered in the past, though the problems i refer to are purely analytic, so they might be criticised due to their apparent lack of applicability

Reactions: SmallKoy and Alexei_Kirillov
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I remember getting a book out from the library in my late teens- 'Philosophy for beginners' type of thing. I thought it was time to figure out the meaning of life. You can imagine my disappointment when all it really said was- these big questions exist- Is there a God? Where did we come from? What is the meaning of life? Where do we go when we die? etc. etc. Then, it cited a few eminent philosophers and what they thought about it all but, I felt so deflated when it offered no conclusions. Like- I'm fully aware these questions exist! That's why I'm wasting my time (evidently) reading this book- I want the answers! Probably naive of me to think there were answers... I wonder if we'll ever know the answers. I always hoped all would be revealed when we die but if there's nothing afterwards, I guess we won't! Oh well, we won't have a brain to worry about it then.

• Hugs
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Aug 29, 2024
This reminds me of that one time Descartes had acquired absolute certainty and irrefutable knowledge of all the truths about reality and existence, except when he didn't know for certain whether he was thinking and therefore existing. That was the last unanswered question in philosophy.

Or wait was it the other way around, now I can't remember, someone help pls 🤔