• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

D

Deleted_9cKnXB34QG

Mage
Jun 26, 2018
I think it's just that the fear of death is stronger than any kind of logic or common sense, there's also the "cult of life" and religion - lot's of brainwashing and shaming going on, suicide/euthanasia still being a taboo etc.

I mean when I look at my grandmother I can't help but think "why don't you just end it? what's the point?". She can't really walk anymore, she's been shitting and pissing in a diaper for the last decade or so, most of her friends are already dead. She's just sitting like a zombie in front of a TV, mostly crying and bitching about everything. And yet she's still somehow scared to die.
We're nothing more than animals programmed to go on no matter what, very few of us can actually say "ok, that's enough" and end it. There are no rewards, just survival instinct telling us that death is bad.

skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
I think it's just that the fear of death is stronger than any kind of logic or common sense, there's also the "cult of life" and religion - lot's of brainwashing and shaming going on, suicide/euthanasia still being a taboo etc.

I mean when I look at my grandmother I can't help but think "why don't you just end it? what's the point?". She can't really walk anymore, she's been shitting and pissing in a diaper for the last decade or so, most of her friends are already dead. She's just sitting like a zombie in front of a TV, mostly crying and bitching about everything. And yet she's still somehow scared to die.
We're nothing more than animals programmed to go on no matter what, very few of us can actually say "ok, that's enough" and end it. There are no rewards, just survival instinct telling us that death is bad.

Perfect answer

Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
In most States it's still illegal for doctors to assist terminal or aged or anybody for that matter to die. So do it yourself suicide is the only alternative, alot of older people are not internet savvy also, and do not have the latest methods.

BlackDragonof1989

BlackDragonof1989

Mage
Jul 12, 2018

Excellent reply, and I would rather there is nothing to most organized religions' views on the afterlife, unless it's constant bliss we cannot comprehend, but I cannot fathom how people can think a God is just to send anyone to Hell to be tormented without end for a short life here on Earth, many times I think as a result of parents getting horny. Sometimes I still believe in love, but then again cynicism in me from all the coldness and meanness I've seen in others and myself when things don't go the way they or I want them to, makes me all the more cynical. Either way, very good response as morose as it is, it is very to the point and resonated with me as well. I fear death, which is the main reason I do not wish to die still, or rather the process of dying as well as not knowing what's on the other side, hopefully either universal love or we cease to exist, just, no punishment please. I am an antinatalist as well because of my cynicism about humanity.

And Mari does make a good point about people who view that their birth was not their doing so their death is not either, that's also a reason I carry on for now, when I am in a better mood, I at times feel reverent, but usually this is when I am being gratified in some way, or have taken dxm for instance, etc.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
What reward do people think they're going to get...

check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule-594964b131175.png

Reactions: skitliv and Mari
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Well for me personally I still find joy in a few silly things like music, movies, sports etc..

I'll get the reward of seeing what happens in Stranger Things season 3 for example.

On top of that I will get the reward of not hurting my father.

M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
To me what's even stupider is the people who don't believe in God or an afterlife, and somehow still think their life has meaning.

edit: I don't know if I worded that right, because I actually believe in God (not in hell, mind you) and I think life in general has significance. At least, I'd like to think so. And I STILL wholeheartedly want to kill myself. Maybe I'm just confused.

edit 2: Ok well I definitely am a confused person in general, but I know what I am saying and what I mean here. When I talk about meaning, I think life is both meaningful and meaningless at the same time. I know it's paradoxical, but I frankly just think that some of the truths in reality are paradoxical or incomprehensible in nature. I guess I ventured off topic a bit - _ - "

Last edited:
Z

zach

Jul 22, 2018
I ask myself that everyday. I've asked my best friend. I've asked my parents. I've asked strangers. The most common response I've gotten is " because you never know what the future holds " which is shit. the future holds pain and suffering for every human on the earth. it's just a matter of if theres anything good worth suffering for, if you even feel like you want to suffer for anything.

skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
I ask myself that everyday. I've asked my best friend. I've asked my parents. I've asked strangers. The most common response I've gotten is " because you never know what the future holds " which is shit. the future holds pain and suffering for every human on the earth. it's just a matter of if theres anything good worth suffering for, if you even feel like you want to suffer for anything.

I agree, the future also holds death for everyone, whats so good about that?

Z

zach

Jul 22, 2018
Exactly. We're all going to die one day. It's your decision when and how. If you want to suffer through life in the hopes of achieving whatever " happiness " is. Or if you want to go out on your own terms without suffering decades of your life.

Z

zach

Jul 22, 2018
a huge reality check for me was when my very successful father ( ceo of a multi 100 million dollar corporation ) said that he hated his job, and most days didn't enjoy the stresses of life. he told me if he could have done it differently he would've. youre talking about a man who can have anything he wants. and is still not happy. that's life.

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018
To me what's even stupider is the people who don't believe in God or an afterlife, and somehow still think their life has meaning.

Bad news - it's not those people who are stupid. God/afterlife is not necessary for life to have "meaning". People are free to make their own meaning in life, and for the people who manage to do so - good for them. This has been quite thoroughly covered by existensialist philosophers.

As for the OP question - most people are lucky enough that they infrequently and irregularly consider life something to be endured, so it's a moot question for them.

I

itsallover

Arcanist
Jun 29, 2018
There is no reward in my mind. You're just put here to reproduce. Biologically speaking a man could have ten children and not take care of any one of them, but if a responsible couple raises two great kids then they are not biologically as successful as the deadbeat. I went form fearing death to now wanting in the best and most enjoyable way possible.

M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
Bad news - it's not those people who are stupid. God/afterlife is not necessary for life to have "meaning". People are free to make their own meaning in life, and for the people who manage to do so - good for them. This has been quite thoroughly covered by existensialist philosophers.

As for the OP question - most people are lucky enough that they infrequently and irregularly consider life something to be endured, so it's a moot question for them.

Well I guess I just don't agree with them.

Vvcv

Vvcv

Jul 17, 2018
I read in reddit (Futurology) that the first person to live 1000 years is already alive, so maybe they are waiting for humanity to discover immortality in less than 40 years. (if they get old maybe it's too late) [/s]

Reactions: BPDprisoner
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
I agree. Especially in a culture that glorifies youth and demonizes age. The disgust that's typical and acceptable to hurl on seniors. The inevitable failure of the body. The likely pains in joints, muscles... Losing yourself piece by piece. Far greater chances of catastrophic illnesses like cancer. Loss of dignity with dismissal from the world of work. The terror of poverty or homelessness for those who aren't wealthy, have suffered financial loss, and now are unemployable due to the wrong date on their driver's license or high school diploma. And the very human and therefore persisting yearnings for companionship and intimacy that earn from the rest of the community cringes and expressions of disgust. Because, I guess, "old" people are somehow no longer humans.

I have no frickin idea what people expect to win by waiting until murder or disease offs them instead.

Laggy

Laggy

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think it's about getting some kind of reward, it's about not wanting to hurt the people around them. I don't think I can endure long enough to die naturally, but I'm pushing through as long as I can because I know my suicide will deeply traumatize the people I care about.

Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
There is no reward. Anyone can shit out a philosophical argument ad nauseam about this.

If you're alive, you can be capitalized on. You can pay taxes. Accumulate debt. The services afforded to you are giving someone a job (Medical care, psychiatry care, disability care, even if they are just direct depositing a check into your bank account). If you die, you're one less cog in the system, and the system needs as many cogs as it can get.

Lucas

Lucas

May 26, 2018
I don't think there is any reward waiting till the very end. I'm pretty sure the nature intended that once we got older and weaker, some other animal or illness would kill us and thus do the job for us. That's why in stone ages people didn't live up to 40 or so.

I think it's just the fear of death and we all been taught since we were young that death by aging is the only way.

Life is funny in that way that it's basically like a game of broken telephone: someone teaches values to someone, that person learns something and teaches them to his children, the original guy dies, then the children teach them to their children and it keeps going and nobody fucking knows why are we doing this stuff and very few actually stop to question it. Just because we have always done it, that's basically the answer to most things in today's world.

Last edited:
S

ScaredOfLife

Arcanist
Jul 9, 2018
I don't think it's about getting some kind of reward, it's about not wanting to hurt the people around them. I don't think I can endure long enough to die naturally, but I'm pushing through as long as I can because I know my suicide will deeply traumatize the people I care about.

My suicide will kill my little sister and husband, ...and I deeply regret that I have to do it. However, I will not be homeless.

Reactions: Volatile
S

Somerando

Jul 22, 2018
I agree. Especially in a culture that glorifies youth and demonizes age. The disgust that's typical and acceptable to hurl on seniors. The inevitable failure of the body. The likely pains in joints, muscles... Losing yourself piece by piece. Far greater chances of catastrophic illnesses like cancer. Loss of dignity with dismissal from the world of work. The terror of poverty or homelessness for those who aren't wealthy, have suffered financial loss, and now are unemployable due to the wrong date on their driver's license or high school diploma. And the very human and therefore persisting yearnings for companionship and intimacy that earn from the rest of the community cringes and expressions of disgust. Because, I guess, "old" people are somehow no longer humans.

I have no frickin idea what people expect to win by waiting until murder or disease offs them instead.

So true. I've known for a while I do not want to live to old age, partially for this reason. I think it's best to die before I enter my mid-20s.

Reactions: FTL.Wanderer
F

Fenrirsend

Student
Jul 15, 2018
It seems better to just end it
Probably people like me who have that fear of being wrong n ending up in hell...I mean an eternity of that isn't worth skipping a few decades of this.

Why I need something that leaves time to ask for forgiveness before it takes me.

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
Probably people like me who have that fear of being wrong n ending up in hell...I mean an eternity of that isn't worth skipping a few decades of this.

Why I need something that leaves time to ask for forgiveness before it takes me.

No evidence for Hell. Also if there's a Hell, everyone is going there. Hell exists in most religions. How certain are you that (I'm assuming) Christianity is the right one? Is it because you were raised in it? Because people you trust vouch for it? Followers of all beliefs hold to that reasoning as well.

F

Fenrirsend

Student
Jul 15, 2018
No evidence for Hell. Also if there's a Hell, everyone is going there. Hell exists in most religions. How certain are you that (I'm assuming) Christianity is the right one? Is it because you were raised in it? Because people you trust vouch for it? Followers of all beliefs hold to that reasoning as well.
Honestly not that religious .

Just something my dad used to tell me I was a kid n it's stuck in my head. Call it brainwashing or what have u but its there