• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TiredOrbit

TiredOrbit

Spinning planet
Jun 1, 2023
Hi

I've been looking into the anti-psychiatry movement for two years now, and i wonder what other psychiatric patients think about it.

It has multiple branches that believes psychiatry cannot help people with mental illnesses and personality disorders and, very often, makes their situations worse.
Members of the movement created big events like On Our Own: Patient-Controlled Alternatives to the Mental Health System.

sannoji

sannoji

dreaming of flying
May 4, 2023
i guess i believe some of the things they say about the psychiatry sector, things like personality disorders are hideously demonised within it to the point it's definitely very difficult to find anyone who can help you (which is infuriating because the few pd'ers i've met who could get with a good therapist have seen improvements in their relationships and general happiness and stuff.) i don't think i would write off psychiatry in general, but i think it needs some serious reform and patient self-reports probably need to be taken more seriously. i think saying it can never help people with mental health issues is overly cynical though and at times can even be antirecovery.

Marine

Marine

Make love win against fear 🤍
Jul 5, 2020
I am anti psychiatry. Psychiatry is based on nothing scientific and has been nothing but a horrifyingly harmful means of control, profit and division. You can find several well sourced documentaries and articles on the subject.

I am pro holistic human respect and support through real means : more connection, better environment, change in societal values, non community support etc.

Marine

Marine

Make love win against fear 🤍
Jul 5, 2020
I am anti psychiatry. Psychiatry is based on nothing scientific and has been nothing but a horrifyingly harmful means of control, profit and division. You can find several well sourced documentaries and articles on the subject.

I am pro holistic human respect and support through real means : more connection, better environment, change in societal values, non community support etc.
I just realized I forgot a word after editing my post so many times : I meant "non professional community support".

SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
I think one can benefit if they're a "sophisticated consumer." (More sophisticated than therapists, often...) I made a little map of it — including its boundaries

Finding an effective practitioner in the usual places, is like going on the dating market: full of uninspiring people only good at selling themselves. I think the question is where to find unicorns

lachrymost

lachrymost

finger on the eject button
Oct 4, 2022
I get more anti-psychiatry by the day. As much as I'd love to believe what happened to me was rare and I just got unlucky, I no longer think that's the case. After I learned about PSSD, any remaining confidence I had in psychiatry rapidly dwindled. (I don't have PSSD, but the thought that I could have developed it at fourteen and never had a single orgasm or fallen in love etc. is horrific. The fact that this is even physiologically possible is a mind fuck.) SSRIs were supposed to be among the safest psychopharmaceuticals, but in reality, they've been chemically lobotomizing and castrating people. We are supposed to believe psychiatry has radically and meaningfully changed since the days of literal lobotomies, but it clearly hasn't changed enough. I will never meet the person I could have been without psychiatry. The drugs stole my youth from me and the grief is overwhelming. They made me lethargic, unmotivated, and curbed my creativity. They caused me long-term physical damage. It scares me to think what I might have accomplished without their influence.

Reactions: murphyy
H

HAKMKS

Praying things get better
May 29, 2023
Hi

I've been looking into the anti-psychiatry movement for two years now, and i wonder what other psychiatric patients think about it.

It has multiple branches that believes psychiatry cannot help people with mental illnesses and personality disorders and, very often, makes their situations worse.
Members of the movement created big events like On Our Own: Patient-Controlled Alternatives to the Mental Health System.
I didnt used to be, but I am anti psych meds now. They and a psychiatrist ruined my life.

Psych meds should be for schizophrenia or uncontrollable bipolar.

I think cbt, dbt, etc can help along with other nontherapy" modes.

Reactions: TiredOrbit
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Problems:
  • labels "diagnostics" from the DSM that are more political than scientific
  • prescriptions given based on 30-60 minute appointments that do nothing to address the root of the problem
  • when one prescription fails, throw another one at the wall until something sticks. a monkey throwing darts could probably have an equivalent or better success rate
  • side effects are acknowledged but frequently downplayed. withdrawal effects are barely acknowledged, and long-term (protracted) withdrawal is dismissed as a "relapse" even when the symptoms are completely new
  • forced "treatment" is a horror show
  • no accountability for poor outcomes; it's always the patient's fault
I still stop short of saying that psychiatry is totally useless or should be abolished. There are people who swear by their meds and I believe some people are helped by it. I just think the success rate is overstated and the risks are understated. I think with all of these problems it is best to proceed with caution and look for all possible ways to address the root cause of issues. There also needs to be a more scientific way to determine who can benefit from medications and who might have an adverse reaction. Overall I am sympathetic to many antipsychiatry beliefs.

Full disclosure: I have had a horrific experience with psychiatry overall, although I have at least benefited from benzos (used sparingly).

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Psychology and psychiatry have many shortcomings, which I won't repeat because @NumbItAll already listed the most glaring ones I can think of. That being said, once people start "movements" I always become a bit sceptical. The anti-psychiatry movement can be particularly dangerous because it's fertile ground for all sorts of quacks to start peddling anti- and pseudoscientific bollocks which are at best ineffective, and at worst actively damaging to people. We have a lot to learn about mental illnesses and their various causes, but it needs to be done in a scientifically sound way. The many failings of modern psychiatry are a reason to improve and revise the field, not to throw it in the bin in favour of pseudoscientific quackery.

Reactions: Celerity
TiredOrbit

TiredOrbit

Spinning planet
Jun 1, 2023
Psychology and psychiatry have many shortcomings, which I won't repeat because @NumbItAll already listed the most glaring ones I can think of. That being said, once people start "movements" I always become a bit sceptical. The anti-psychiatry movement can be particularly dangerous because it's fertile ground for all sorts of quacks to start peddling anti- and pseudoscientific bollocks which are at best ineffective, and at worst actively damaging to people. We have a lot to learn about mental illnesses and their various causes, but it needs to be done in a scientifically sound way. The many failings of modern psychiatry are a reason to improve and revise the field, not to throw it in the bin in favour of pseudoscientific quackery.
The whole of anti-psychiatry movement is a complete reconstruction of the current psychiatric institutions, not to reduce this science to zero and go empty handed. There are positive changes built by few psychiatrist, who are themselves anti-psychiatry. There's a book i can't remember the name of that is written by a psychiatrist of Saint-Anne and his patient, a mentally ill lady. One write one chapter, the other another. His insight is so important.

One of the book that explains all of this the best would be La mort de l'asile, but i'm absolutely sure there are some just as amazing in your languages. Some psychiatrists tried different approach, there has been catastrophe at worse and a small bit of amelioration at best. But some are genuinely trying.

We cannot give up on psychiatry but we can change the way patients are treated. We're not slaves, or trash to hide behind society, that you can lock up in building away from the rest of the world.

Just watched a documentary done by a popular 80's actress about her twin sister who is autistics and has been through the psychiatric institutions for a very long time. Before, she was capable of living her own life, she obviously had breakdowns sometimes and definitely needes a psychologist on the side, but overall she was happy. But after a decade or two in a psychiatric hospital, she is now completely changed. Incapable of living alone, very slow, cannot do anything alone, behaves constantly like a child, violent etc. Most of her current symptoms are because of the extremely heavy meds that was given to her at the hospital.
Her sister show videos of her young and lively, happy, having fun. But the doctors and nurses broke her so badly she'll live the rest of her life in a medical house (btw this house is wonderful, the psychologists working there are amazing, they allow the patients to go swim, to museums, the theater, anything they want, they're free).

When she saw videos of her at 21, smiling wide on a trip to the USA, she cried violently. She misses those times she was not treated like a test subject in a hospital by violent nurses and negligent doctors. Our current psychiatric institutions destroyed her life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I definitely don't trust it. I'm sure it can cause more harm than good- there are examples here of that.

Reactions: Skathon
a_new_man

a_new_man

If it is right for me, it is right.
Feb 17, 2023
I am anti psychiatry when it comes to medication, medication ruined my life the common side effects are usually worse than the reason youre on them and going off meds i felt so much worse than before. medication made me a lot more suicidal than i was pre medication

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Recommended reading: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/17852736

Riveting excerpt from that book: https://www.salon.com/2013/08/03/big_pharmas_placebo_problem/

In May 1993, a mental disorder that had been in DSM-III was repackaged, renamed, and given new life in DSM-IV. It was called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder and was listed in the DSM as a mental disorder. Up to 8 percent of women were said to suffer from the condition. And the condition was apparently nasty. Its main symptoms occurred two weeks before menstruation and included feelings of fatigue, anxiety, emotional instability, disinterest in daily activities, and difficulty in concentrating. In short, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder was first presented as if it were an exaggerated form of PMT—premenstrual tension.

By the early 2000s, the number of women in the United States being diagnosed with PMDD was rising exponentially. And there are some obvious reasons for this. The first was that in 1998 the FDA in the United States recognized the condition as an official mental disorder. This freed up doctors to start diagnosing PMDD when previously they had no disorder category to which they could match premenstrual experiences. Second, the pharmaceutical industry now had the green light to market the disorder and its cure. Eli Lilly was the first to step up to the plate by spending $30 million on advertising its chemical cure.

The following advert by the company is illustrative of the type of commercial with which it flooded the airwaves once FDA approval was granted. It shows a woman who has lost her keys growing increasingly frustrated. The voiceover breaks through:
Think it's PMS? It could be PMDD—premenstrual dysphoric disorder. You know, those intense moods and physical symptoms the week before your period. Sound familiar? Call to get free information about PMDD and a treatment your doctor has to relieve its symptoms. Why put up with this another month?
Alongside such direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical adverting, Eli Lilly launched a marketing campaign targeting psychiatrists, gynecologists, and mental health providers, who were soon all receiving promotional materials: flyers, free samples, invitations to Lilly talks, and unsolicited visits from pharma reps. As the word spread in the medical community, diagnoses of PMDD quickly soared, and so did the prescriptions.

In the mid-2000s when I met a psychotherapist called John, I was therefore unsurprised to hear he had just recently treated a patient diagnosed with the condition. The patient, Sarah, was an attractive 25-year-old with deep auburn hair and strong, dark brown eyes. She entered his consulting room, lowered herself gently into a chair, and began telling him her story.

"I really am not myself at the moment. I feel so anxious and confused all the time. I just feel, well, different. It started about six months ago. I began to get these god-awful cramps before my period. It was like my guts were digesting acid. I also got these piercing headaches and I'd feel emotionally all over the place. I went to my local doctor and he sent me to a gynecologist. The gynecologist said he couldn't find anything physically wrong with me and said I was probably suffering from a psychological disorder I'd never heard of before—Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder—and he said he could help."

Sarah then said she had been prescribed a new drug called Sarafem. John asked her what she knew about the drug. "Not much, really." She shrugged nonchalantly. "Apparently it helps with mood swings and other stuff. I take it every day, and I think it helps with the headaches. I don't know much more than that."

Let me fill the gaps in Sarah's knowledge.

The pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly makes Sarafem. Its name is a rework of "seraphim," a Hebrew word meaning "angel," a word with obvious female overtones. Its packaging also conjures up stereotypical female associations. The pill is encased in a pretty pink-and-lavender shell, and is heralded by Lilly as a wonder cure for this distinctly female premenstrual disorder. So far so good.

Now here comes the interesting bit. What Eli Lilly initially concealed from the millions of women taking the pill is that the pill is actually Prozac. Chemically, Sarafem and Prozac are exactly the same. The only difference between them is that their names and packaging are different. Sarah, like thousands of other women up and down the country, was taking Prozac and didn't know it.

Abyssal

Abyssal

Recovered and alive, less suicidal
Nov 26, 2023
Psychiatry feels rooted in saviorism and while I trust the studies that say certain approaches work to improve mental health, I feel there's a faultiness to it all. In fact, it's no secret that psychiatry is imperfect, researchers tear apart every little discovery and input in the field as it comes out. The human brain is complex and to determine the fates of others by making a one-size-fits-all, black-and-white description of disorders and other mental illnesses is ineffective. Sadly, we aren't likely to see much change in the field aside from new technologies that promise the same promises we have already been given (whether or not results are effective is a topic for when these discoveries are made). I mean, we are still using the teachings of Freud in multiple ways despite the fact that he basically made up everything he said aside from his case studies, so it's not a reach to say the psychiatry is built on social constructs.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
sunshiningbackwards

sunshiningbackwards

Sep 17, 2022
Sadly I feel like it's mostly up to the individual to diagnose and treat themselves. The western institution of psychology/psychiatry really only exists to profit and maintain a docile workforce for our corporate overlords. I currently have my best case psychiatric scenario where I get amphetamines to prop me up during the day and benzos to take me out of a panic attack. My doc still wants me to try other stuff for depression but I'm not really trying to do anything but adderall/benzos bc everything else's side effects far outweigh any potential benefit.

Still, I'm hoping to get SOME help soon from this shrink who specializes in philosophy in his therapy treatment which I'm hoping will help. I feel like philosophy is the only thing that could possibly bring me out of despair but I need to talk to someone who knows more than I do.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
i guess i believe some of the things they say about the psychiatry sector, things like personality disorders are hideously demonised within it to the point it's definitely very difficult to find anyone who can help you (which is infuriating because the few pd'ers i've met who could get with a good therapist have seen improvements in their relationships and general happiness and stuff.) i don't think i would write off psychiatry in general, but i think it needs some serious reform and patient self-reports probably need to be taken more seriously. i think saying it can never help people with mental health issues is overly cynical though and at times can even be antirecovery.
My thoughts exactly!!