• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Felodese

Felodese

Mar 31, 2024
I personally find it hard to accept the definition where recovery = managing symptoms.
And by this I mean that recovery is simply accepting that you will always be depressed and in pain, and trying to find something that makes the suffering seem worth while. As well as constantly working hard on trying to keep your symptoms at a level where you can at least sort of function.
To me this doesn't seem enough. I've lived like this and it has just worn me down. If I still feel the same, If I'm still in pain, then I don't really see the point. But maybe I'm asking too much, hoping to actually be free from depression?

What is your definition of recovery? What level of recovery/freedom from symptoms is acceptable to you, for it really to be worth living?

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
When I hear or see the word Recovery (like on this site) I think of it as being cured like they recovered from suicidal thoughts I don´t believe truly suicidal people meaning people being suicidal since childhood or teenage years I don´t believe they can "recover" from it.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Recovery: Acceptance > Seek help > Accept help > Don't complain; instead, work on solutions > Taking responsibility for your own actions and holding others in your support network accountable.

Mental illness has no cure and is a chronic condition that must be managed.

If you refuse to manage your illness, you will suffer. Being alone also makes the suffering worse.

Mental illness can progress into terminal illness if people with suicidal thoughts do not seek treatment.

The best way to alleviate your pain and suffering is to manage your illness with a reliable network of supporters.

• Love
Reactions: soulkitty
Felodese

Felodese

Mar 31, 2024
Recovery: Acceptance > Seek help > Accept help > Don't complain; instead, work on solutions > Taking responsibility for your own actions and holding others in your support network accountable.

Mental illness has no cure and is a chronic condition that must be managed.

If you refuse to manage your illness, you will suffer. Being alone also makes the suffering worse.

Mental illness can progress into terminal illness if people with suicidal thoughts do not seek treatment.

The best way to alleviate your pain and suffering is to manage your illness with a reliable network of supporters.
Ah, the old "depression is a choice and you're just lazy".

I have lived my whole life fighting to manage my depression. Trying to find that network of support, and trying to get help. BUT in order to be able to accept help, it has to actually be available to you. When you seek help
and help is denied, there is no help to accept. And even when there is help, it may not work, because, guess what, treatments do fail, medications fail.
And after a lifetime of trying to find solutions, I'm at a point where constant pain despite constant fighting doesn't feel worth it anymore.

If you can just simply choose to be well, then good for you. The rest of us might not have your amazing ability.

soulkitty

soulkitty

Just a shell of who I once was.
Apr 6, 2024
For me recovery would be not thinking about ctb everyday anymore and be able to manage my symptoms well enough so I can function better and be able to maintain a job, also not have as many difficulties in my close relationships. Also just not feeling in agony and suffering everyday, right now the depression feels so heavy and crippling, it can be really hard to do basic tasks. My social anxiety is also pretty bad the past year, being around and interacting with people is really difficult. It would be so nice to be able to not feel terrified of other people and do the things i want to do without constant fear of being judged/perceived in general. Also getting to the point were i don't relapse on self harm every few weeks would be amazing. I really want to be able to maintain a job so i can get my own place and be in an environment where i can actually heal