• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

liffey

Feb 14, 2023
I've searched for reasons to live and can't find satisfactory answers. A lot of them are just reasons not to die in disguise. I'll list some below and my own thoughts, and am interested in your opinions. Of course, I'm not against people who live because of these reasons, it's just that they don't make life worth living for me.

1. Material possessions
What differentiates humans from other animals is our self-awareness, that we care about spirituality beyond simply being able to eat, sleep or live. There are only such much one can own, and they get less stimulating over time. To live for wealth or whatever is no different than being 'a pig, in a cage, on antibiotics'. Not to mention how easy it is to lose possessions, or that many are poverty-stricken.

2. Religions
I seriously don't get being against suicide because it is a sin to do so. If I never asked to be born into this world in the first place, why do I need permission from a higher being, if it even exists, to stop living anymore? Believing in the notion that everything has a meaning simply because a god presumably created everything doesn't make sense to me. I guess people just want something to have faith in to give them meaning and going to heaven eventually is a reason to live for them.

3. "Life will get better"
No one can predict the future and anyone's lives objectively. Even if suffering was caused by the inability to sustain daily needs, and that life objectively became better, who is to say with certainty that one can start to enjoy life? I personally have a great life objectively but can't find anything that keeps me content. This is nothing more than blind optimism, which happens to be true for some.

4. Relationships
This somewhat makes sense for me. The unique bonding between humans can improve lives by a lot, and I genuinely enjoy company with my friends. However, I'm not sold on the idea to live because of others. This extends to refraining from CTB simply because there are people who would be distraught. People invariably have to spend time alone, and have to find reasons to live within themselves. Also, being overly dependent on someone and overbearing create an imbalance and scare people away. A relationship which the other party is not as enthusiastic in maintaining eventually fades away, and it can be painful if one depends on it.

5. All the little moments
This is also somewhat true. I agree that life is not a process to achieve some granular goals, but rather a collection of all the little moments. It's true that being grateful for small things is a way for some to be happy. Things don't need to carry an inherent meaning to be enjoyable. Good music, food, quality time and affection from others can be great. Still, I would still prefer not to experience anything. Occasional happiness doesn't make life worth it for me.

6. Experiencing life to its fullest
There is a lot to explore and a full life consists of a diverse range of experiences, including all the ups and downs. Happiness pales into insignificance and doesn't feel rewarding if there is no sadness. Again, although this is true, the underlying persistent unhappiness overpowers occasional happiness for me.

Reactions: 0000000000000
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
My view is that there is absolutely nothing appealing about existing at all and I could never see existence as being worth enduring under any circumstances. To me, life is something futile, torturous and just doesn't interest me in any way. I believe that suicide is simply the more logical and desirable option, especially as all that is guaranteed in life is suffering, decay and loss, with existence comes unlimited potential to be harmed, so therefore I view it as always being preferable to cease existing.

And I just see life as being something that disgusts me, this world is objectively a hellish place, and we are trapped inside this flesh prison that is destined to deteriorate and I want no part in this. I just dislike the whole concept of life and see it as not being for me, I just wish to return to the state of perfect nonexistence where I'm finally free from this burden, life is something so useless, unnecessary and it's a curse having the ability to suffer.

Reactions: 0000000000000
just_erika

just_erika

Mar 14, 2023
I feel the same. I have a lot of things going for me
But I just don't see the point in it all.

Storyteller

Storyteller

A story that has been left untold
Mar 22, 2023
For me it would be meaningful relationships and little moments. Especially little moments. My memory is kinda bad, I forgot and keep forgetting some things, but little things in my mind still remains and when I remember them, it actually brings me a bit of a joy. There are some goals I would've loved to accomplish like writing some novels. They may not be popular, but I rather focus on bringing characters in this story to life and who knows, maybe they would've outlived me for a long time. That would be lovely.

S

sadjenny

Student
Feb 13, 2023
Number 4 is the only reason I see life worth living. Everything else, doesn't matter. Not to me. Despite my very best effort, I cannot escape the human nature as a social creature. Every cell in my body longs to be connected with another person. Or a group. But my mental dysfunction makes that impossible. And it has been impossible since the day I was born. Even here on SS with people who understand, I have no ability to truly connect. I am imposing a false friendly persona with the goal to rack up enough posts to get my SN source...

Some people (like me!) are genetic dead ends. That's just how evolution works!

I sincerely hope people can find a reason to live. Any reason. Even if it's stupid. Because life is a weird rare phenomena. But no shade if you want to ctb early! I get it.

Wrxngg

Wrxngg

Mar 25, 2023
Is anything really worth living for if it'll all be gone anyways?

Cin

Cin

almost blue
Jan 23, 2023
Art, unconditional love, hope. Not that the latter two are typically fulfilled anyway, but suicide is antithetical to hope.