Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I grew up with reference movies like American Pie I thought my life would be this much fun, then I saw that it's more similar to Frodo in Lord of the Rings lol

Is the lifestyle as "fun" as it seems in the movies?

Last edited:
Reactions: Arvinneedstodie and S like suicide
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
It's not fun though. There's less social interaction here compared to places like Europe. It's just college -> marriage -> kids. People stay in their car bubble and eat themselves to obesity. Then develop health problems out the ass. Plus we have a huge debt culture. You're supposed to finance everything and get in over your head to keep the economy going. It's a bit of a trap all in all. Would not recommend.

• Love
Reactions: Message In A Bottle, WonderingSoul, JinZhin and 19 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I have two main complaints. It definitely could be worse and I feel like a spoiled brat complaining but the healthcare and education system really gets under my skin and negates any "fun" of being American. If you like debt come on over. Lots and lots and lots of debt from the moment you turn 18 and possibly before that. I remember at 18 years old paying off my first massive medical bill for my big suicide attempt. Medical and education debt would just explode over the years even with education grants and health insurance. Americans work a lot too. If you like personal, vacation, or sick time then forget it. You will work until you drop. We're very productive slaves here.

There are a lot of perks I think. It's definitely top 5 countries I'd want to live in but probably at the bottom of the list. It's always greener I suppose.

Reactions: JinZhin, Arvinneedstodie, Green Destiny and 5 others
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
I don't think it's that great. Other people love it.

sadstuffie

sadstuffie

Student
Aug 11, 2020
it's fun if you have lots of money i guess.

Reactions: WonderingSoul, S like suicide, AnestheticVoid and 4 others
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
It has its better points, but 'fun' is hardly one of them.

Reactions: WonderingSoul, Green Destiny, demuic and 1 other person
L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
Growing up in the 80's was fun. Now it just seems like everyone is glued to their phone.

Reactions: WonderingSoul, Hollowman, Luna77 and 3 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I grew up with reference movies like American Pie I thought my life would be this much fun, then I saw that it's more similar to Frodo in Lord of the Rings lol

Yes, if you make it. It's relatively easy to land a six figure job, live in a Southern state like Florida, Arizona, or Texas, where the weather is always nice. We have probably the best highway and air travel system in the world. We have guns, fast cars, fast motorcycles. You can live as hedonistic a lifestyle as you want, and no one will judge you.

If you're LGBTQ, you're going to be fully accepted if you live in a city. Religion won't be shoved down your throat.

Negatives were already mentioned. Education and healthcare are terrible and expensive. Plenty of us go to Mexico for medical and dental work.

So come over as an adult. Get into IT, Cyber security, or engineering. Don't get married, don't have kids, and live the dream!

I would fight and die for this country.

Reactions: Interloper
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
Well, that's life pretty much. You have big dreams of what life will be as a kid, and unless you're one of the lucky ones then you become an adult and learn the reality. If you're watching teenage sex comedy movies as documentaries you're in for a rude awakening. We watch this stuff to forget for a moment that most of us have to work until we're 70 or we die, whichever comes first.

If you think late stage capitalism where the truth doesn't matter anymore and money is the only thing that does is fun, sure. If you want opportunity because you have none where you are, yes if you work your ass off for a faceless corporation you can have a comfortable life at a cost. If you think that a pretty girl is going to jump on your dick because you fucked a pie, you might want to rethink that.

Reactions: Foresight
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
It's ok here, I just wish I could health insurance. Broke my foot a year ago and the pain won't go away. Can't afford treatment. Insurance costs like $400 a month if your employer doesn't pay it for you.
The same goes for therapy. I wish.

Reactions: WonderingSoul
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Hot babes
Cool dudes
Fast cars
A bald eagle with a flag in its mouth flying high.

LOL j/k it's just debt and sadness

• Yay!
Reactions: WonderingSoul, Green Destiny, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 4 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
It's ok here, I just wish I could health insurance. Broke my foot a year ago and the pain won't go away. Can't afford treatment.
I injured my right foot bad twice in my life (both times motorcycle crashes). No broken bones, but constant pain that wouldn't go away after even a couple months. Both times, no insurance. What worked for me was a cortisone shot. Honestly it was like a miracle. Hurt like a bitch when I got it, but when I woke up the next morning, my foot was 100%. I was surprised that it worked the second time, as that injury was even worse.

Cost without insurance was $100 the first time, and $150 the second time. Maybe give it a try if you haven't yet. Just call around local podiatrists and tell them you don't have insurance, but will pay with cash. Most will be willing to work with you on the cost.

• Love
Reactions: miserableforever
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021

Sometimes this is how I imagine it.

Other times, like an episode of the TV show COPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: callme
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
Well, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The country is run by a bunch of idiots (lawyers and politicians - oh and btw most of the politicians are lawyers). They make all the laws and run the country. They pay themselves millions of dollars and bitch and complain about one party or the other - Republicans and Democrats. They discriminate against the elderly, handicapped, people who are unwilling to vote (because it's a waste of time and they know their vote really doesn't count). So the "middle class" is no more. The government keeps track of you in many ways. The police are not kind and considerate. You are either filthy rich or poor as shit. Sorry this is so political, but I'm just telling it like it is. Quite honestly, if I had the money I would have moved out of the US in a skinny minute, but since I am of lesser value I have no money.
Well, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The country is run by a bunch of idiots (lawyers and politicians - oh and btw most of the politicians are lawyers). They make all the laws and run the country. They pay themselves millions of dollars and bitch and complain about one party or the other - Republicans and Democrats. They discriminate against the elderly, handicapped, people who are unwilling to vote (because it's a waste of time and they know their vote really doesn't count). So the "middle class" is no more. The government keeps track of you in many ways. The police are not kind and considerate. You are either filthy rich or poor as shit. Sorry this is so political, but I'm just telling it like it is. Quite honestly, if I had the money I would have moved out of the US in a skinny minute, but since I am of lesser value I have no money.

• Hugs
Reactions: notaboutangels, Green Destiny, Dead Meat and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
It depends on which region you're in since each one might as well be a different country culturally.

No matter which state you choose though, one thing every part of America has in common is the freedom to complain. Anybody, even the most diehard patriots who live here can find something they don't like about the country. If you love to complain, then America is the country for you. It's not only common, but encouraged to have something to complain about when it comes to the state of this country.

Can't say that about a lot of other places in the world. :P

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and NumbItAll
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
@StarryStarry politicians are corrupt and incompetent, and cops are pigs everywhere, not just in the us.

Reactions: S like suicide, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Foresight and 1 other person
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
It's definitely a debt culture as has been mentioned. I've always been terrified of debt so I just missed out on life opportunities like college instead, causing people to assume I'm just lazy or stupid.

American cities are mostly nightmares where the only places that aren't trashy and scary are utterly unaffordable. Suburbia and the countryside are lonely wastelands.

The US is an extremely ideological society. If you don't get in line with prevailing woke values, you will get a mob calling for you to be ritualistically humiliated, censored, fired from your job, etc. You're no longer a human being. In many ways it seems more extreme to me than in blatantly one-state regimes like Russia.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
It depends on your location, demographic, ideology, and socioeconomic status. I just live in the suburbs where everything is fine and peaceful and nothing really happens. There are things that I love and hate about the country as a whole. I do not like the overall narcissistic culture that we have. I wouldn't rather live somewhere else because every place will have its pros and cons, and I'm already settled here.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
In many ways it seems more extreme to me than in blatantly one-state regimes like Russia.
school clapping GIF

(No, you're actually right, as far as I can tell there is much less political tension among general society in Russia).

Reactions: Foresight and Nolan96
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
I injured my right foot bad twice in my life (both times motorcycle crashes). No broken bones, but constant pain that wouldn't go away after even a couple months. Both times, no insurance. What worked for me was a cortisone shot. Honestly it was like a miracle. Hurt like a bitch when I got it, but when I woke up the next morning, my foot was 100%. I was surprised that it worked the second time, as that injury was even worse.

Cost without insurance was $100 the first time, and $150 the second time. Maybe give it a try if you haven't yet. Just call around local podiatrists and tell them you don't have insurance, but will pay with cash. Most will be willing to work with you on the cost.
I'll try that!
The pain comes and goes, sometimes it gets really bad and even driving hurts with shoes on. I'd assume it's fractured, can't tell for sure.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
No life, 2 Jobs for a living, no time for yourself, high hospital insurances, fast food. The good side, cheap clothes, easygoing people, beautiful country, you don't need to leave the USA to experiment all weathers and types of natures in the world.

Reactions: WonderingSoul, miserableforever and Foresight
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
No life, 2 Jobs for a living, no time for yourself, high hospital insurances, fast food. The good side, cheap clothes, easygoing people, beautiful country, you don't need to leave the USA to experiment all weathers and types of natures in the world.
In fact, I have the possibility to move to San Francisco, but I rejected the offer because it is a fucking expensive city, the hectic lifestyle is not my thing

Reactions: Grey-zoner
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
In fact, I have the possibility to move to San Francisco, but I rejected the offer because it is a fucking expensive city, the hectic lifestyle is not my thing
Not a country I would move to, sorry Americans, I would rather move to Canada.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Wish I could vacation there. I imagine it as a hot steaming mess, but with something for everybody, like the 12 delicious flavours of riceroni.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Not a country I would move to, sorry Americans, I would rather move to Canada.
No palm trees or beaches there. None of us are going to make the slightest bit of difference where we live, so may as well go where you can swim in the ocean 10-11 months out of the year.

G

Grey-zoner

Dec 17, 2021
No palm trees or beaches there. None of us are going to make the slightest bit of difference where we live, so may as well go where you can swim in the ocean 10-11 months out of the year.
Not where I live in the US.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
No, I'll just get some Tahitian wallpaper.
No bullshit, I had that in my apartment in the north east for years. Completely different, and totally worth it to live where it's right outside your door. Fuck those golden handcuffs - there's a lot more to life than making a few thousand $ more but hating where you live.

It's not like I wasn't spending about $1k/month traveling anyway. Now I spend a lot less because I'm happy where I am.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I love snow!!!! Everyone who lives in a sunny country loves snow. I've lived in Vancouver for a while and loved it.

Reactions: Midgardsorm