KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
What is it like? Is it like tv where theres just crazy people?? Dumb question but i might be going there soon and im scared as fuck.

Reactions: Baskol1
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
For the most part, it's really boring. If you have the opportunity, bring some books and comfort items with you (like a pillow because theirs sucks or chapstick if your lips are perpetually chapped). They keep some of it behind the counter for safe keeping, but it's better than nothing.

Once (or maybe more, depending on the hospital) a day, they'll drag you into a meeting to teach you life-saving skills like to coping mechanisms (if you're lucky). Sometimes they even play games or let you create things (crafts).

Mostly, you're left on your own to entertain yourself. There's usually a TV, but people fight about what's on it and unless you're aggressive or just happen to like most genres, you're probably not going to get it.

The actual quality of the people there varies. You have really Angry people (there will be outbursts where people shout because they're mad and want to go home), nice people, and people that just don't interact well. It really varies, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: LifeIsACurse, Neville1, bea1974 and 4 others
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
For the most part, it's really boring. If you have the opportunity, bring some books and comfort items with you (like a pillow because their's sucks or chapstick if your lips are perpetually chapped). They keep some of it behind the counter for safe keeping, but it's better than nothing.

Once (or maybe more, depending on the hospital) a day, they'll drag you into a meeting to teach you life-saving skills like how to coping mechanisms (if you're lucky). Sometimes they even play games or let you create things (crafts).

Mostly, you're left on your own to entertain yourself. There's usually a TV, but people fight about what's on it and unless you're aggressive or just happen to like most genres, you're probably not going to get it.

The actual quality of the people there varies. You have really Angry people (there will be outbursts where people shout because they're mad and want to go home), nice people, and people that just don't interact well. It really varies, at least in my experience.
So.... its a prison where you can occasionally make macaroni art?

Reactions: LifeIsACurse and Juicebox
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
That's about right, tbh. You're typically there between 3-5 days -- and no, you can't leave until your stay is done. Not even if you're voluntarily committing yourself. I tried.

Reactions: LifeIsACurse and Lookingforabus
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
Would it be possible to kill yourself there?
That's about right, tbh. You're typically there between 3-5 days -- and no, you can't leave until your stay is done. Not even if you're voluntarily committing yourself. I tried.

Reactions: Luchs
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
Epstein managed to do it *coughcough*
But honestly, somehow it would probably be possible, but there are places with better chances of success, i'd just off myself before I get in there.

catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but that it's incredibly difficult. There were a few people there that tried it. This one girl attempted to hang herself with her bedsheets and clothes and ultimately ended up locked in a room by herself for the duration of her visit (which ended up being a month because she attempted to kill herself)... naked (so she couldn't tie her clothes up into a rope/noose). You'll also get bumped up to high risk if you try and you'll have a nurse on your ass always. You won't be allowed any type of privacy, even using the bathroom (not that you have bathroom doors, they're just like foam things that velcro).

Reactions: Lookingforabus and Luchs
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
Epstein managed to do it *coughcough*
But honestly, somehow it would probably be possible, but there are places with better chances of success, i'd just off myself before I get in there.
What? You don't believe that he killed himself despite like 3 guards watching him and he was found with wounds that imply strangling and punching? And that he had a "young woman" visit him?? So skeptical!!!!
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but that it's incredibly difficult. There were a few people there that tried it. This one girl attempted to hang herself with her bedsheets and clothes and ultimately ended up locked in a room by herself for the duration of her visit (which ended up being a month because she attempted to kill herself)... naked (so she couldn't tie her clothes up into a rope/noose). You'll also get bumped up to high risk if you try and you'll have a nurse on your ass always. You won't be allowed any type of privacy, even using the bathroom (not that you have bathroom doors, they're just like foam things that velcro).
Oh jeez :/ might as well just wait

Reactions: Baskol1, Juicebox and Luchs
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
That's probably your best bet, honestly -- or attempting before you get thrown in.

Why do you think you might be going inpatient, if you don't mind my asking? If it's too personal, that's absolutely fair and you don't have to tell me.

Reactions: Baskol1 and Luchs
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
What? You don't believe that he killed himself despite like 3 guards watching him and he was found with wounds that imply strangling and punching? And that he had a "young woman" visit him?? So skeptical!!!!

Oh jeez :/ might as well just wait
I know, it is such a controversial oppinion!

• Love
Reactions: Baskol1 and KiraComplex
Qbert

Qbert

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2019
For the most part, it's really boring. If you have the opportunity, bring some books and comfort items with you (like a pillow because theirs sucks or chapstick if your lips are perpetually chapped). They keep some of it behind the counter for safe keeping, but it's better than nothing.

Once (or maybe more, depending on the hospital) a day, they'll drag you into a meeting to teach you life-saving skills like to coping mechanisms (if you're lucky). Sometimes they even play games or let you create things (crafts).

100% on point.

Reactions: Baskol1, KiraComplex and catharticEscapism
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
That's probably your best bet, honestly -- or attempting before you get thrown in.

Why do you think you might be going inpatient, if you don't mind my asking? If it's too personal, that's absolutely fair and you don't have to tell me.
I think i told my therapist too much today. Im just really scared. Plus my mom wants me to self admit and i love her so much that i think i should for her (because either way im going to be dead so why not please her??)

• Hugs
Reactions: Baskol1 and Luchs
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
I think i told my therapist too much today. Im just really scared. Plus my mom wants me to self admit and i love her so much that i think i should for her (because either way im going to be dead so why not please her??)

I've been there. That's why I first ended up being committed earlier this year, actually. It's... well, it's a miserable experience tbh, I won't lie, but getting out is one of the most freeing things. Every time I get out, I'm almost elated just to be gone from there. It gives me a few days where my depression is less overbearing.

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you might decide! If you're admitting yourself voluntarily, definitely call ahead of time and ask what you're allowed to bring with you. I strongly recommend bringing a few spare changes of clothes so you don't end up accidentally flashing people in the "outfits" they give you. I got a coloring book and crayons last time from the dollar store. I haven't used it since I got out of the hospital, but you really do hit a bottom line of incredible boredom there.

Also sorry for not using the reply function properly. I'm still pretty new to this site and I'm learning.

Reactions: Baskol1, bea1974, Luchs and 1 other person
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
I've been there. That's why I first ended up being committed earlier this year, actually. It's... well, it's a miserable experience tbh, I won't lie, but getting out is one of the most freeing things. Every time I get out, I'm almost elated just to be gone from there. It gives me a few days where my depression is less overbearing.

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you might decide! If you're admitting yourself voluntarily, definitely call ahead of time and ask what you're allowed to bring with you. I strongly recommend bringing a few spare changes of clothes so you don't end up accidentally flashing people in the "outfits" they give you. I got a coloring book and crayons last time from the dollar store. I haven't used it since I got out of the hospital, but you really do hit a bottom line of incredible boredom there.

Also sorry for not using the reply function properly. I'm still pretty new to this site and I'm learning.
Dollar store toys are the greatest not gonna lie.
And are you allowed to wear what you want? Or do you have to wear those fucking... ass gowns? And do people steal clothing? Just curious

J

Juicebox

Trying to Stay Alive
Jul 31, 2019
The one I went to was pretty much kindergarten for adults. They have group therapy sessions about coping skills and open discussion every now and then, and if you're not in one of those you're coloring with rubber pencils and crayons

Reactions: KiraComplex and catharticEscapism
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
Dollar store toys are the greatest not gonna lie.
And are you allowed to wear what you want? Or do you have to wear those fucking... ass gowns? And do people steal clothing? Just curious

The dollar store is great for random doodads and toys. I definitely recommend it.

I've never had a problem with what I choose to bring with me to wear, but I imagine they might reject specific clothes if it's especially crude or vulgar. So long as you avoid that, you should be fine. As for clothes stealing... that's never happened to me personally, but I have experienced clothing gone missing while they do laundry (usually at night). Sometimes the staff there misplaces articles of clothing or they go missing, so don't bring anything you're afraid to lose.

EDIT: Bring a sweater if you have one. The hospital I was at was particularly chilly and it was great to have something to keep me comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baskol1 and bea1974
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
The dollar store is great for random doodads and toys. I definitely recommend it.

I've never had a problem with what I choose to bring with me to wear, but I imagine they might reject specific clothes if it's especially crude or vulgar. So long as you avoid that, you should be fine. As for clothes stealing... that's never happened to me personally, but I have experienced clothing gone missing while they do laundry (usually at night). Sometimes the staff there misplaces articles of clothing or they go missing, so don't bring anything you're afraid to lose.

EDIT: Bring a sweater if you have one. The hospital I was at was particularly chilly and it was great to have something to keep me comfortable.
Okay, thank u!! Making me feel a bit more comfortable, even though it'll probably be really fucking boring. :)

catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
Okay, thank u!! Making me feel a bit more comfortable, even though it'll probably be really fucking boring. :)

I'm honestly glad to be able to bring my experience to the table and help you! These are things I wish someone had told me before I went the first time.

So you're welcome! I hope you get out soon if you decide to commit.

• Love
Reactions: Baskol1 and KiraComplex
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
If you are a person who values dignity and control, don't go.

Reactions: Hoid, Baskol1, Lookingforabus and 1 other person
Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
What is it like? Is it like tv where theres just crazy people?? Dumb question but i might be going there soon and im scared as fuck.

It depends on the particular facility. As long as it's not some run down, underfunded completely horrible one, you don't have to worry about violent people or anything, the majority of people will be there for self-harm and suicide attempts or gestures. (And the violent people tend to be restrained and sedated anyway, so, not much to worry about in that regard.)

Just alot of depression and bipolar, substance abuse, usually some schizophrenia. Worst part is definitely going out of your skull with boredom (and for me, not being able to smoke). Monitored constantly, stupid, contradictory shit like (in my case) being told I'm spending too much time alone, so going out to the common area to play video games or watch movies on my laptop, being told they were too violent, so I had to stop, so I went to hang out with some of the women on the ward and having the nurses give us dirty looks and come by to tell us "no touching" ("intimate"or romantic or even G-rated, Disney-style, 3rd grade hand-holding relationships are discouraged or forbidden)... that kind of bullshit. So, I can't do nothing, and I also can't do anything. For fuck's sake. If it wouldn't have extended my stay I'd have asked to be put in a medically induced coma until I was released, and was preparing to try to off myself if they extended my stay past 3 days.

The best thing you can do "for her" is stay the hell out of a psych ward, honestly. It won't help, and will probably make things worse, as it did for literally every single person I know who's been to one. Try to convince your mother, (and psychiatrist and anyone else, if you need to) that it's just going to make things worse - you'll be bored, so more suicidal thoughts and feelings, more out patient counseling sessions/therapy would be better (or less bad), look online for stories from people who've been to one and been miserable inside (probably best not to use the tales on this site, though). It's all true. If you offer to go to more out patient stuff, it shows you're trying to get better, which should make them feel more comfortable with not admitting you.

Reactions: Neville1 and Baskol1
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
It depends on the particular facility. As long as it's not some run down, underfunded completely horrible one, you don't have to worry about violent people or anything, the majority of people will be there for self-harm and suicide attempts or gestures. (And the violent people tend to be restrained and sedated anyway, so, not much to worry about in that regard.)

Just alot of depression and bipolar, substance abuse, usually some schizophrenia. Worst part is definitely going out of your skull with boredom (and for me, not being able to smoke). Monitored constantly, stupid, contradictory shit like (in my case) being told I'm spending too much time alone, so going out to the common area to play video games or watch movies on my laptop, being told they were too violent, so I had to stop, so I went to hang out with some of the women on the ward and having the nurses give us dirty looks and come by to tell us "no touching" ("intimate"or romantic or even G-rated, Disney-style, 3rd grade hand-holding relationships are discouraged or forbidden)... that kind of bullshit. So, I can't do nothing, and I also can't do anything. For fuck's sake. If it wouldn't have extended my stay I'd have asked to be put in a medically induced coma until I was released, and was preparing to try to off myself if they extended my stay past 3 days.

The best thing you can do "for her" is stay the hell out of a psych ward, honestly. It won't help, and will probably make things worse, as it did for literally every single person I know who's been to one. Try to convince your mother, (and psychiatrist and anyone else, if you need to) that it's just going to make things worse - you'll be bored, so more suicidal thoughts and feelings, more out patient counseling sessions/therapy would be better (or less bad), look online for stories from people who've been to one and been miserable inside (probably best not to use the tales on this site, though). It's all true. If you offer to go to more out patient stuff, it shows you're trying to get better, which should make them feel more comfortable with not admitting you.

Whoa, what kind of facility were you in where they allowed you to have technology? I've never heard of one outside of the ones for rich people allowing that. That's pretty awesome though. I would have had such a better time if I could have had my laptop with me.

Also that's a good idea. @KiraComplex Consider talking to your mom and shrink about an IOP program. You go to them about 2-3 days a week (usually at a local hospital). It's an outpatient program and they have group and teach you all about your feelings and coping mechanisms. It's not exactly Fun, but it is better than a stay inpatient.

Lookingforabus

Lookingforabus

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2019
Whoa, what kind of facility were you in where they allowed you to have technology? I've never heard of one outside of the ones for rich people allowing that. That's pretty awesome though. I would have had such a better time if I could have had my laptop with me.

Just one of the psych wards at one of the decent hospitals where I live. I wanna say it was the one that happened to be in the hospital I was rushed to for my failed suicide attempt... but I don't really remember.

As to technology making it better, yeah, it probably would have if I got to use it much, but it ended up being a paperweight that I was worried about getting stolen, and another pointless, frustrating example of the BS going on there. Ended up being a total tease, and probably made things a tiny bit worse.

catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
Just one of the psych wards at one of the decent hospitals where I live. I wanna say it was the one that happened to be in the hospital I was rushed to for my failed suicide attempt... but I don't really remember.

As to technology making it better, yeah, it probably would have if I got to use it much, but it ended up being a paperweight that I was worried about getting stolen, and another pointless, frustrating example of the BS going on there. Ended up being a total tease, and probably made things a tiny bit worse.

Hmm, yeah, that's a fair point. I hadn't considered that they might make it impossible to use, but I could honestly imagine that happening. That would even more frustrating -- like teasing a starving kid with food, but smacking their hand every time they reached for it.

Reactions: Lookingforabus and Baskol1
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
I dont think i have too much of a choice right now ;/
Sounds awful.

I'm sorry. Just keep your head down and do what they say so they don't keep you long. It will be ok.

T

tuto170

Student
Jul 1, 2019
I've been to mental hospitals 4 times already in two different institutions. First of all they gonna strip of all your belongings and leave with you only necessities you need. There are two sectors in a hospitals: high security and low security. Depending on your condition they gonna put you in high security for a day or two to track your behaviour and be put on low security if everything is fine. In high security you can only wear hospitals robes or your tracksuit but no shoes and not even having a fork or a butterknife all razors are kept locked until requested to be used and be put back. Cigarettes are kept locked in maximum security wards as well with fixed smoking breaks.

Low security wards let you go outside or even to the town it is located and ability to withdraw cash from a safe to buy something. There you can have shoes and proper clothes. No fixed cigarette breaks but it is boring as previous posts refer. Most of the days I spent was on the internet or mobile games or reading. Food is horrible on the hospital as they have like two dollars feed you for a day.

Twice a week you get visited by your doctor and asked how are you feeling to adjust new medication or the dosage. They really pump up the medication if you don't say about side effects. First time I was admitted I was getting like 15 pills and tablets a day. I was sleeping a lot and had blurry vision and even got pizza tower syndrome during the stay. They will they will legally chemically castrate you during the stay as mental medication causes sexual dysfunction and call it a success as you have barely any energy even to attempt to kill yourself.

Reactions: Shamana and Baskol1
maggot666

maggot666

Aug 23, 2019
The most boring place on earth I was in last week and it made me feel a lot worse being in there the staff just stayed in the office and there was nothing to do unless you like colouring

Reactions: Baskol1 and catharticEscapism
catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
I've been to mental hospitals 4 times already in two different institutions. First of all they gonna strip of all your belongings and leave with you only necessities you need. There are two sectors in a hospitals: high security and low security. Depending on your condition they gonna put you in high security for a day or two to track your behaviour and be put on low security if everything is fine. In high security you can only wear hospitals robes or your tracksuit but no shoes and not even having a fork or a butterknife all razors are kept locked until requested to be used and be put back. Cigarettes are kept locked in maximum security wards as well with fixed smoking breaks.

Low security wards let you go outside or even to the town it is located and ability to withdraw cash from a safe to buy something. There you can have shoes and proper clothes. No fixed cigarette breaks but it is boring as previous posts refer. Most of the days I spent was on the internet or mobile games or reading. Food is horrible on the hospital as they have like two dollars feed you for a day.

Twice a week you get visited by your doctor and asked how are you feeling to adjust new medication or the dosage. They really pump up the medication if you don't say about side effects. First time I was admitted I was getting like 15 pills and tablets a day. I was sleeping a lot and had blurry vision and even got pizza tower syndrome during the stay. They will they will legally chemically castrate you during the stay as mental medication causes sexual dysfunction and call it a success as you have barely any energy even to attempt to kill yourself.

What country do you live in? Your experience is nothing at all like my own (though I'm sorry you had to have an experience to begin with).

T

tuto170

Student
Jul 1, 2019
What country do you live in? Your experience is nothing at all like my own (though I'm sorry you had to have an experience to begin with).
I live in Lithuania all eastern European hospitals are similar. In the West and North is better. In USA as I heard stays are really short. I've heard stories some people staying 5 months in a hospital in my country and 24 years overall in their lifetime. Stays are really long in Lithuania. Everyone is nagging out for a cigarette or money in the hospitals. There are like 4 beds in a small room to sleep and beds are uncomfortable. There are no locks in the toilets as anyone can walk in while you take a dump and showers have fixed hours when can be used.

Lennox

Lennox

No alarms, and no surprises...
Jul 21, 2019
Maybe. In my case, considering the structure and rules, my experience was similar to @catharticEscapism , except that in the clinic I stayed at, there was a "high security section" and "low security section". High security is where apparently most patients stayed and was full of cameras, no privacy. After a few days I was moved to low security as I was considered not a threat to myself or others (even though I was there for attempted suicide).
There was no cameras and I was allowed alone time. There was a major flaw there, I noticed I could have made a rope out of my bedsheets, tied it to the bathroom window, and hanged myself. I contemplated this idea all the time while I was there, but ended up not acting on it. It was for the best, I wasn't knowledgeable in hanging as I am now.

Reactions: catharticEscapism, Neville1 and Baskol1