Freeme3820

Freeme3820

One day this Girl will be free <3
Jul 27, 2020
Just curious, what falls under this, is it only if your heart stops that doctors have to step back or is it that they can't stop you dying at all, for example I once lost alot of blood and without intervention to stop that bleeding I would of died, under a DNR would they of still kept me alive or stepped back and let me die? X

Reactions: Living_Hurts_so_Much
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
DNRs are funny things and have strict protocols around them. For example, they have to be signed by a doctor for one. Also, they usually state the DNR is only valid if you're dying from a certain something. So again, let's say someone has cancer and they start choking, they can be revived because the DNR says it has to be by cancer.

Reactions: Freeme3820 and Living_Hurts_so_Much
Nohopeinhell

Nohopeinhell

Mar 1, 2020
I have never in my 15 years of nursing came across a healthy person with a DNR (Im in the UK)

Generally, the DNR is signed by the doctor as part of the patients medical treatment plan. It can apply in hospitals, care facilities and at home/in the community. Facilities may have their own additional forms and steps to take. A DNR is typically for patients who are terminally ill, suffering from an end-stage condition or a persistent vegetative state.

A doctor needs to validate them based on your current medical illness. They usually are reviewed often.

*edit*
DNR = no CPR or mouth to mouth.

Its when someone stops breathing or the heart stops.(most of it is based around the heart stopping) Its usually because the person is too frail to receive cpr and they will probably cause more damage than good even if the person survives.

If its anything else like choking as mentioned above, they will help you. Long as your hearts still beating.

If it was someone bleeding out they would also generally help you. They will help you for anything to prevent you dying, but if your heart stopped or you stopped breathing instantly then they wouldn't be able to help as they aren't allowed to do CPR as the person is already dead and they legally can't do any procedure to bring that person back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freeme3820
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Yes, you need a physician to sign off on a DNR. If you're a healthy individual, you might be more interested in a health care directive (or "living will"). This would enable you to specify your healthcare wishes in case you were incapacitated, or to appoint a proxy to make decisions on your behalf. With no directive, your next of kin is often automatically your proxy.

Reactions: Isadeth and Freeme3820
Freeme3820

Freeme3820

Jul 27, 2020
Thank you for the info, I was just curious tbh, i honestly think that if somebody wants a DNR no matter what there health then it should be allowed. X
Yes, you need a physician to sign off on a DNR. If you're a healthy individual, you might be more interested in a health care directive (or "living will"). This would enable you to specify your healthcare wishes in case you were incapacitated, or to appoint a proxy to make decisions on your behalf. With no directive, your next of kin is often automatically your proxy.

What country is this for? I'm in the UK, this seems pretty interesting x

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
An DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order is an legal order that allows the patient to refuse CPR and other life-saving treatment in the event that said patient is unable to make medical decisions (incapacitated and/or otherwise unconscious) and yes, it requires a physician to sign off to be legally binding. @BPD Barbie is correct on this as well as the scope of when the patient is allowed to let nature take it's course. In short, it is not likely to be honored in the event of a CTB attempt so I wouldn't necessarily rely on that.

Reactions: endergames, Freeme3820 and Isadeth
Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
Please be aware that if you're found by a paramedic and have a DNR and/or have Advanced Directives, they will NOT respect them. It's not malicious on their part, but it's fast paced and they are there to get you medical treatment.

Reactions: Meditation guide and Freeme3820
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
Unless they have changed things recently a DNR order unfortunately will not apply in AMERICA. It is over ridden by the legal presidence that you have committed a crime by trying to take your own life and they are medically required to do everything they can regardless of your directive to make you viable to face the pending charges. America is the dumbest country in the world.

• Wow
Reactions: Meditation guide, Freeme3820 and Isadeth
Freeme3820

Freeme3820

Jul 27, 2020
Unless they have changed things recently a DNR order unfortunately will not apply in AMERICA. It is over ridden by the legal presidence that you have committed a crime by trying to take your own life and they are medically required to do everything they can regardless of your directive to make you viable to face the pending charges. America is the dumbest country in the world.

Wait, WHAT? is that true, that's crazy,, the only time I've heard of anyone getting in trouble for trying to ctb over here is if they are trying to jump off a motorway bridge but even then it's rare. I diddent realize it was like that in the US :eh: x

torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
It
Wait, WHAT? is that true, that's crazy,, the only time I've heard of anyone getting in trouble for trying to ctb over here is if they are trying to jump off a motorway bridge but even then it's rare. I diddent realize it was like that in the US :eh: x
is absolutely true.

• Aww..
Reactions: Meditation guide and Freeme3820
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
under a DNR would they of still kept me alive or stepped back and let me die?
It is my understanding based on some research I did that there are only two states in the US where doctors have to honor DNR orders. I know one is Oregon and I wish I lived there.
So my guess is that hospitals ignore them. Not sure about doctors but they probably do too. Everyone is scared of being sued.

Please be aware that if you're found by a paramedic and have a DNR and/or have Advanced Directives, they will NOT respect them.
In the US I'm sure this is true. Not sure about other countries.

Last edited:
Freeme3820

Freeme3820

Jul 27, 2020
It is my understanding based on some research I did that there are only two states in the US where doctors have to honor DNR orders. I know one is Oregon and I wish I lived there.
So my guess is that hospitals ignore them. Not sure about doctors but they probably do too. Everyone is scared of being sued.

In the US I'm sure this is true. Not sure about other countries.

I have a feeling each country is slightly different. Its mad because I'm pretty sure there are certain religions that are against certain procedures (like blood transfusions) and they have to follow in them circumstances, it should be everyone's right to have some kind of death plan x

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
We can order the forms from a branch of our state government here and have our doctor sign a DNR form but I'm not sure why if they do not honor them. It's crazy. The government in the US mostly works against people. It seems to do all it possibly can to make people miserable.

Doctors aren't much help either. They don't give a damn.

Toobrokentofix

Toobrokentofix

Experienced
Jul 7, 2020
This is what my friend did. She had BPD as her diagnosis and drank antifreeze and took herself to hospital with a living will. She was made comfortable and not treated and died in hospital

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
drank antifreeze and took herself to hospital with a living will. She was made comfortable and not treated and died in hospital
How nice to hear she was made comfortable and not worked on relentlessly like they do here. This couldn't have been in the U.S. was it?

Freeme3820

Freeme3820

Jul 27, 2020
We can order the forms from a branch of our state government here and have our doctor sign a DNR form but I'm not sure why if they do not honor them. It's crazy. The government in the US mostly works against people. It seems to do all it possibly can to make people miserable.

Doctors aren't much help either. They don't give a damn.

Yea it does sound a bit baffling, someone suggested a living will, I looked it up and that seemed pretty useful, I mean I had a quick read of it so still need to have a good look at it but so far it seems alright x

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Emergency response teams are required to work to save you. A DNR might prevent it, but as @Isadeth said, they will likely work to save you. The advanced directive is typically only useful if emergency measures are not helpful and you end up catatonic or otherwise incapacitated.

Toobrokentofix

Toobrokentofix

Experienced
Jul 7, 2020
How nice to hear she was made comfortable and not worked on relentlessly like they do here. This couldn't have been in the U.S. was it?
No, this was in the UK. She walked into the hospital and handed them the letter and they didn't stop her. I was surprised that this was legal in the UK; especially as It was due to her mental health and she was only in her 20s, but the doctors did not want to assault her by actively treating her when she had made it clear this was not what she wanted

Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
Emergency response teams are required to work to save you. A DNR might prevent it, but as @Isadeth said, they will likely work to save you. The advanced directive is typically only useful if emergency measures are not helpful and you end up catatonic or otherwise incapacitated.
Unfortunately they do not respect any do not resuscitate orders. But you're right. They're required to save you and advanced Directives are more hospital settings.