N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
A quote of David Foster Wallace made me think about that. It is from his story The Planet Trillaphon. I had to make a lot of research to find it.

"I really don't know if the Bad Thing is really depression. I had previously sort of always thought that depression was just sort of really intense sadness, like what you feel when your very good dog dies, or when Bambi's mother gets killed in Bambi. I thought that it was that you frowned or maybe even cried a little bit if you were a girl and said "Holy cow, I'm really depressed, here," and then your friends if you have any come and cheer you up or take you out and get you ploughed and in the morning it's like a faded color and in a couple days it's gone altogether. The Bad Thing—which I guess is what is really depression—is very different, and indescribably worse."

I could relate to that a lot. As so often when I read DFW. I am mentally ill since I am 15. But I am sure there were a lot of signs before that. Some years later I finally realized it. The only thing I knew about depression was my dad claimed to have it. He never spoke about it. My mom always called him lazy for that. This shaped my view on depression. I think I had the notion people with mental illness are just weak. I sometimes read people with depression could not stand up from bed. I never understood that before I experienced it. To be honest when I was a teenager I was quite ignorant. (Probably as the most teenager but maybe even a way worse.) I had somewhat the attitude of an asshole. The bullying I experienced taught me not to be sensitive. (which is quite a huge character trade of me)

Even when I had depressions as a teenager I did not realized it. I thought this would be absolutely normal to hate yourself and having suicidal thoughts. Moreover I thought most parents woud treat their children like I was treated. I had no idea what a healthy childhood was.

The other time I learned about mental illness (major depression when a famous football goalkeeper in my country committed suicide. This was the first famous suicide which really affected me. My dad (who had depression) made a joke about him when we played together FIFA on my playstation. Yeah my dad is quite often an ignorant jerk. His stances on suicide are horrendous. But when he opens up about his suicidal ideation (which was a tiny fraction to my suicidality) He almost always cries when he talks about it. Yeah maybe you be more empathetic about other people's suicidality before you are self-pitying yourself for it. Maybe I am too harsh when I say this. Maybe I am becoming like my dad which I always tried to prevent.

I think becoming mentally ill made me more compassionate for other people's suffering I am more aware about the stigma and the horrible way the topic suicide is treated in our society. I think sometimes it is pretty hard to grasp for neurotypicals how it feels like to be severely suicidal or severely depressed. If more people would have experienced it maybe the people would become more compassionate towards other people who struggle. On the other hand my dad is pretty much a counter example to that theory.

How have you thought about mental illness/your illness before you have got it?I had a lot of wrong myths and stupid prejudices about it. To my defence I was really young to that time.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat, Oblivion Access and symphony
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
Wow, that quote hits hard.

I think I was influenced a lot by social media, this idea of mental illness as trendy, eating disorders as frailty in flower crowns, depression as deep and a aesthetic darkness, self-harm as decorating your body, suicide as beautifully tragic. The message it plants in a young person's mind is that these things aren't really all that serious, and don't really cause nearly as much distress and impairment as they do in reality. When I heard about people, as you mention, not being able to get out of bed, I wanted to yell at them to stop wallowing in self-pity and just get over it the way the rest of us do when we're sad and "depressed".

Even when I had depressions as a teenager I did not realized it. I thought this would be absolutely normal to hate yourself and having suicidal thoughts... I had no idea what a healthy childhood was.
I hear that. Without a basis for comparison or any education on mental illness, especially as children, we have no way to know that something is wrong at all. Maybe if I had known, I would have gotten help much sooner. But instead, early warning signs and actual diagnosable depressive episodes went undetected.

I think becoming mentally ill made me more compassionate for other people's suffering I am more aware about the stigma and the horrible way the topic suicide is treated in our society. I think sometimes it is pretty hard to grasp for neurotypicals how it feels like to be severely suicidal or severely depressed. If more people would have experienced it maybe the people would become more compassionate towards other people who struggle.
I couldn't have said it any better. I've absolutely become so much more empathetic. I also tend to believe so much of the pro-life movement we love to hate here is driven by ignorance, and if they'd just walk a few days in our shoes, they'd understand our pain and the difficult decisions we find ourselves faced with.

I'm so sorry to hear you're in so much pain, and thank you for sharing your story.

• Love
Reactions: Oblivion Access and noname223
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I always just assumed that most mental illnesses were just labels thrown at people for failing to conform or just upsetting the wrong person. For example a child who upsets his parents so they abuse him until he begins lashing out, and then uses this lashing out as evidence to a psychiatrist that he is insane.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
melissa286

melissa286

Mar 22, 2021
I have no memory of a time before deep depression and anxiety, and my earliest memories go back to the age of three.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
DeutscheKartoffel

DeutscheKartoffel

Reclaiming my human rights & liberty thru suicide.
Dec 12, 2021
I cannot be the only one in the room who recognise Mental "illness" as sheer reflection of people's circumstantial struggles.
(Unless it came congenitally)

Without effective problem-solving, comes the career pathway of therapists charging hundreds an hour and psychiatrist prescribing poison.

Hooray.