Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
So I'm just trying to cover all my bases and plan for the worst. I'm using SN, but assuming the worst happens and I somehow get found and taken to the hospital..

My plan is to say, it was stupid and I sincerely regret my decision. If I say I am no longer suicidal, will they let me leave? Or is it possible to be involuntarily committed if you have already attempted but tell them "all the right things" and that you aren't a harm to yourself or others anymore?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Rey_Kafka
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
There's a very strong likelihood you'll still be led involuntary. They've heard the 'I've changed my mind, didn't mean it' all before. SN isn't a 'plea for help' attempt, so they'll take it seriously.

Reactions: Brokensaddle, failure383, Jon Arbuckle and 1 other person
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
There's a very strong likelihood you'll still be led involuntary. They've heard the 'I've changed my mind, didn't mean it' all before. SN isn't a 'plea for help' attempt, so they'll take it seriously.
That's what I'm worried about. So you don't think there's any way I would be able to get out of that situation?

I guess the best thing to do is just make sure I don't get found then. Thanks for your honest answer

Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
It will be location-dependent.

Reactions: alltoomuch2, Unknown21 and Beyond_Repair
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
If you're serious about your attempt, then yes. You'll need to ensure a robust protocol, including not being found is followed. Otherwise you're just reliant on others doing - or not doing - something.

I wish you the best with whatever decision you take.

Reactions: Unknown21, Beyond_Repair and Kurai
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Agreed, in my country hospitalization is not imposed on you when you fail in an attempt, unless you decide to voluntarily.
what country are you in? I'm in the US

creirwy

creirwy

sleepy bpd princess
Jul 27, 2024
So I'm just trying to cover all my bases and plan for the worst. I'm using SN, but assuming the worst happens and I somehow get found and taken to the hospital..

My plan is to say, it was stupid and I sincerely regret my decision. If I say I am no longer suicidal, will they let me leave? Or is it possible to be involuntarily committed if you have already attempted but tell them "all the right things" and that you aren't a harm to yourself or others anymore?

Thanks in advance
Hey,
I've been in the exact situation and I was in a closed institution at first after my attempt. I was there for 4 days and I assured the doctors I wasn't suicidal so they let me switch to the open wing and I left there after a few days as well. They can't keep you there unless they have reason to believe you can't make decisions for yourself.

Reactions: Beyond_Repair
DoneWithThisLife

DoneWithThisLife

Betrayed and Broken
Apr 30, 2024

Thanks in advance
I, too, have been in the same situation. Found unconscious by my friend after drinking antifreeze and woke up 3 days later in ICU with tubes, wires, drips everywhere. Spent a couple of days in the hospital then was seen by mental health team. Told them I was no longer suicidal and was allowed to go home without any problem.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Hey,
I've been in the exact situation and I was in a closed institution at first after my attempt. I was there for 4 days and I assured the doctors I wasn't suicidal so they let me switch to the open wing and I left there after a few days as well. They can't keep you there unless they have reason to believe you can't make decisions for yourself.
Thanks for sharing! I figure it would just make more sense for them to let me leave if I seem of sound mind and am denying suicidality, especially with how overcrowded hospital beds tend to be. But I didn't know for sure
I, too, have been in the same situation. Found unconscious by my friend after drinking antifreeze and woke up 3 days later in ICU with tubes, wires, drips everywhere. Spent a couple of days in the hospital then was seen by mental health team. Told them I was no longer suicidal and was allowed to go home without any problem.
Thank you for sharing. Antifreeze sounds terrible, did you have any lasting effects from that? Also what country are you in, if you don't mind my asking?

qu13t5l33p

qu13t5l33p

Jan 21, 2024
I'm in the US and have gotten caught a few times. They keep you in a medical wing until you're well enough to walk around, then they move you to the psych ward. If you didn't make a full recovery from your attempt before getting transferred, they'll continue your physical treatment while on the ward. Holds are 48-72 hours depending on the state, but even after that time passes, trying to convince the psychiatrist to let you out after a serious attempt is a tall task.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
I'm in the US and have gotten caught a few times. They keep you in a medical wing until you're well enough to walk around, then they move you to the psych ward. If you didn't make a full recovery from your attempt before getting transferred, they'll continue your physical treatment while on the ward. Holds are 48-72 hours depending on the state, but even after that time passes, trying to convince the psychiatrist to let you out after a serious attempt is a tall task.
Good to know, thank you for sharing your experience

Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023

Thanks in advance

After failing a suicide attempt it's very difficult if not almost impossible to talk your way out of being involuntarily Hospitalized. Although they will convince you to sign paperwork to make you voluntarily hospitalize yourself As you lose out on quite a few perks if you force the hospital staff to involuntarily hospitalize you.

You'll be transferred to a psych ward which is basically like a dormitory in where they have 16 to around 40 people depending on the size of the facility. You may have a roommate you may not depending on how many patients they have at the moment. There are some nurses that work there to give up medication and there's usually one or two general staff that oversea things.
They usually have A few psychiatrists that you'll be assigned to that will come probably two times a week. You'll have to meet with the psychiatrist probably at least two times in order to get authorization to be discharged. They will initially ask about what brought you here and properly prescribe you some medications. Taking medications usually gets you out quicker as it's easier for them to perceive that they are fixing your issues more quickly by giving you a pill.

They usually have one or two groups a day where they gather all the patients up to do some sort of activity but most of the day is filled with mundane idle activity.

As soon as you get to the facility I recommend you ask about signing what's called a "5 day". You can sign a piece of paperwork that's dated when you sign it and they can only hold you for a maximum of 5 business days from when you signed this piece of paperwork.

At the end of those five days they need to Go to a judge to keep you hospitalized and it's a huge pain for them They usually never do it unless you're still actively unstable.

I think you might lose access to signing the 5 day if you were involuntarily Admitted but I'm not 100% sure about that nearly everyone ends up being convinced to be voluntarily admitted and signs the paperwork that they are quote Unquote agreeing to be voluntarily confined.

• Informative
Reactions: Final_Choice and Beyond_Repair
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
After failing a suicide attempt it's very difficult if not almost impossible to talk your way out of being involuntarily Hospitalized. Although they will convince you to sign paperwork to make you voluntarily hospitalize yourself As you lose out on quite a few perks if you force the hospital staff to involuntarily hospitalize you.

You'll be transferred to a psych ward which is basically like a dormitory in where they have 16 to around 40 people depending on the size of the facility. You may have a roommate you may not depending on how many patients they have at the moment. There are some nurses that work there to give up medication and there's usually one or two general staff that oversea things.
They usually have A few psychiatrists that you'll be assigned to that will come probably two times a week. You'll have to meet with the psychiatrist probably at least two times in order to get authorization to be discharged. They will initially ask about what brought you here and properly prescribe you some medications. Taking medications usually gets you out quicker as it's easier for them to perceive that they are fixing your issues more quickly by giving you a pill.

They usually have one or two groups a day where they gather all the patients up to do some sort of activity but most of the day is filled with mundane idle activity.

As soon as you get to the facility I recommend you ask about signing what's called a "5 day". You can sign a piece of paperwork that's dated when you sign it and they can only hold you for a maximum of 5 business days from when you signed this piece of paperwork.

At the end of those five days they need to Go to a judge to keep you hospitalized and it's a huge pain for them They usually never do it unless you're still actively unstable.

I think you might lose access to signing the 5 day if you were involuntarily Admitted but I'm not 100% sure about that nearly everyone ends up being convinced to be voluntarily admitted and signs the paperwork that they are quote Unquote agreeing to be voluntarily confined.
Thanks for your detailed reply!

theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
Many things
but in my experience they will give you pills, or up pills or change psychiatric pills.

They will probably recommend you to go to a hospital or psychiatric clinic.

uglyugly

uglyugly

Aug 24, 2024
I think it's dependent on your location. My state in the US can hold someone and force drug them, but other states do not.

The only thing that scares me more than being homeless is winding up in a medical facility or psych ward of any kind for any length of time. I personally would do my best not to get caught when trying to CTB.