X

Xingster

Student
Aug 9, 2018
Anyone here familiar with the legal stuff?

I live in the US. If I don't leave a will or a note. What happens to my condo (paid off) and my possessions?

I am single with no children and no siblings. My parents are alive.

Q

QueenEtna

Gone
Jul 29, 2018
It becomes a free for all and everyone in the neighborhood will fight over your possessions. It would probably go to your parents but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Xingster
S

shadow11

Wizard
Jul 31, 2018
Anyone here familiar with the legal stuff?

I live in the US. If I don't leave a will or a note. What happens to my condo (paid off) and my possessions?

I am single with no children and no siblings. My parents are alive.
I think the court takes possession of it you could write a short handwritten will leaving it to your parents and have it notarized

Reactions: Morning Angel and Xingster
V

VX1

Student
Jun 28, 2018
Your closest blood relatives would get it. Make a will, it saves a lot of hassle for those left to sort it all out. I did one last year, £150 total and worth every penny.

Reactions: Morning Angel, Xingster and Smilla
X

Xingster

Student
Aug 9, 2018
I think the court takes possession of it you could write a short handwritten will leaving it to your parents and have it notarized

Yeah but I don't want my parents to know it's a suicide. I want to fake it to be an accident somehow.

So let's just say, people die accidentally from something and never left a will, the immediate family members are not entitled to their possessions and properties?

X

Xingster

Student
Aug 9, 2018
Your closest blood relatives would get it. Make a will, it saves a lot of hassle for those left to sort it all out. I did one last year, £150 total and worth every penny.

Yes.... I know it's not a hassle to do a will.... but I want my family to think my death is an accident. They are aware with my battle with mental illness, if I leave a will and ctb, they will definitely know what happened

Reactions: Tiburcio

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Your "estate" (assets) goes to Probate Court where any debts you have are settled by using any money you have or selling things to get that money...if you have a mortgage on the Condo for example it would be sold and that mortgage paid off. What is left, if anything, is distributed according to the court as well but usually goes to next of kin. If you don't want the court involved just give stuff away ahead of time if you can manage...sell the condo to them for a penance etc...although this does arouse suspicion with those you give things to and the debt will still have to be settled.

Reactions: Xingster
V

VX1

Student
Jun 28, 2018
Yes.... I know it's not a hassle to do a will.... but I want my family to think my death is an accident. They are aware with my battle with mental illness, if I leave a will and ctb, they will definitely know what happened
Anyone that owns significant assests, as you do, should have a will anyway, regardless of age. Thats just common sense and doesn't mean you planned to die.
Theres no need to tell your parents you've made one. It doesn't matter what they think when they find out you had made one.
It'll save a lot of time, hassle and expence for them if you get one.

Reactions: Xingster, QueenEtna and Smilla
X

Xingster

Student
Aug 9, 2018
Your "estate" (assets) goes to Probate Court where any debts you have are settled by using any money you have or selling things to get that money...if you have a mortgage on the Condo for example it would be sold and that mortgage paid off. What is left, if anything, is distributed according to the court as well but usually goes to next of kin. If you don't want the court involved just give stuff away ahead of time if you can manage...sell the condo to them for a penance etc...although this does arouse suspicion with those you give things to and the debt will still have to be settled.

Thanks for your answer!! My condo is paid off, I own it. No outstanding debt except my car note. I'm hoping my family will get my condo and other possessions. Which is the main reason I'm asking here

X

Xingster

Student
Aug 9, 2018
Anyone that owns significant assests, as you do, should have a will anyway, regardless of age. Thats just common sense and doesn't mean you planned to die.
Theres no need to tell your parents you've made one. It doesn't matter what they think when they find out you had made one.
It'll save a lot of time, hassle and expence for them if you get one.
Thank you dear!!

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for your answer!! My condo is paid off, I own it. No outstanding debt except my car note. I'm hoping my family will get my condo and other possessions. Which is the main reason I'm asking here

So just go make a will with a lawyer then and they will keep it on file...and you can keep a copy at home marked clearly to be found when you are. It will make it a lot easier for family doing it that way. It's not suspicious and people do it all the time. Leaving it to probate is more frustrating and unneeded.

Reactions: lv-gras and Xingster