• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

O

oktnn50md

Oct 21, 2020
Any updates? I was not able to figure anything out.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
Dead on arrival; it does not work.

Reactions: mirko
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
Dead on arrival; it does not work
Hi @Greenberg!

Do you happen to have a reference for this and/or how did you come by this information?

And (knowing of your hard work & blog)... What is your personal opinion of the issues here... theoretical with the method and/or particular to the R2D Debreather's implementation?

It seems to me that this should be a really great method... and I'm just trying to understand if/how my thinking could be wrong...?

Unlike the inert gas (specifically exit bag) method that doesn't require an "airtight seal" it seems essential that the R2D Debreather does... but we know how to do that, right? (easy = a correctly chosen mask, properly adjusted and properly seated on one's face) Then there's the CO2 absorbing pellets (aka "scrubber")... that technology is also very well established, used in space missions and all kinds of critical applications.

So it seems quite sound, theoretically...?

So is the problem something in the implementation (components chosen, supply chain, instructions provided, legal challenges, overall business mismanagement)? The parts are nothing special/exotic and there should be literally dozens-to-hundreds of suppliers for these cheap, "commodity" parts (I'd think). We do see evidence of inexperience in their poor communication to their potential customers: How hard is it to have a "news/updates" section on their website or have a Twitter feed?
it does not work
I'm just wondering, if so, why not (in your analysis/opinion)?

Last edited:
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
No reference or any insider information.

This would be the second time that the product is being commercialized. My opinion is solely based on physics.

The entire contraption is driven be the wearer's breathing and not by any external force. as opposed to normal and natural breathing, the wearer would literally have to "suck" scrubbed air through the soda lime mixture. This action is probably analogous to breathing through a thick pillow.

The burden of inhalation becomes impractical after the initial breaths. Said differently, the resistance of the soda would result in different flow rates between inhalation and exhalation without a compensating force.

profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
No reference or any insider information. ... My opinion is solely based on physics.

probably analogous to breathing through a thick pillow. ... The burden of inhalation becomes impractical after the initial breaths.
Understood and thank you!

Just FYI, this is what the PPeH had to say about the "R2D Debreather" design (quote down below). They even go so far as to describe it as "unrestricted airflow even on deep inspiration or expiration"?!? It'd be interesting to get more information, don't you think? Perhaps if the surface area of the soda lime is large enough, the backpressure of which you speak becomes negligible...?

In any case, and whether accurate or not, the PPeH indicates that the continual weakness with this design is ensuring an airtight mask (as one's facial muscles relax and change shape after fainting). This seems so stupid to me... Why is there so much trouble keeping masks airtight? It's not rocket science. Do you think this is mainly a issue of user-training?
The self-inflating reservoir has a volume of ~ 4 liters. With the hose and scrubbers and the gas in the user's lungs there is an initial total volume in the closed system of ~ 10 liters, or about 2 liters of oxygen to be consumed before death.

Triple flexible 2 cm hoses connect the soda lime scrubber canisters and the gas reservoir to the facemask. This provides unrestricted airflow, even on deep inspiration or expiration.

Two hoses carry the expired the scrubber. On inspiration, the gas is returned through the third hose. The hose valves (at the facemask-coupling) maintain a circular gas flow, preventing any mixing of air to scrubbed and un-scrubbed gases.

Last edited: