sweetbraid

sweetbraid

Apr 15, 2018
I've read several places, and seen in films and television shows, that when someone kills themselves the way they do it says a lot about them. What do you think the following methods might say about a person? (I'm just providing this list in case you have a brain gap or don't want to comment on a method you might think isn't worth thinking about or something; just say about whichever you feel like. or, yk, don't, im just curious)

-hanging
-jumping from a height onto land
-jumping from a height into water
-OD on prescription drugs
-OD on lethal drugs (like N and SN)
-OD on street drugs (heroin, fentanyl, meth, etc)
-gunshot to head
-gunshot to chest
-getting run over by a train
-cyanide poisoning
-exit bag
-CO poisoning
-drowning
-cutting of wrists or thighs
-cutting of jugular vein and/or carotid artery
-poisoning using some type of natural substance (like foxglove or lily-of-the-valley)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end ! and sadworld
W

WaitingForTheBusInTh

Student
Nov 18, 2020
I think the method says more about the person's options available to them than about themselves. I think most people would choose something peaceful like SN, but it's increasingly not an available option.
If all options were equally available to an individual, then I think more violent methods would suggest great anger at oneself/others/the world, whereas more peaceful options suggest apathy, being too tired, or just wanting some peace at the end.
Just my own thoughts. I know I'd rather use SN, but it's really hard to get it through customs so at the moment my method is hanging. I dont want to do it by any stretch of the means, but inert gas seems to complicated.

• Love
Reactions: lifegoeson, The end !, Zimcity and 7 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Doctors and nurses tend to view poisoning as a weak attempt at suicide and that suicide by gunshot determines that the person was serious about ending their life. My family thinks poisoning by SN is for "pussies", while gunshot or death by violent means is more manly and possibly honorable.

• Wow
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: The end !, infinitelove, lobster salad and 3 others
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
My family thinks poisoning by SN is for "pussies", while gunshot or death by violent means is more manly and possibly honorable.
??? What the fuck kind of family...the result is the same no?

• Love
Reactions: mpnf, Echo81 and The end !
L951788

L951788

Student
Dec 28, 2020
I'd go out by suicide bombing in a crowded area but I don't possess means to make a bomb :)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end !, lobster salad and 262653
Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
Some of these methods could also be about how desperate the person was to die. I mean jumping off a cliff you have to be pretty desperate to die. And some want lethal methods because they're so sick of life that they want no chance of survival, so in that sense they might not choose something like a drug OD as it's not 100% effective. It also depends on impulsivity. Some hangings/jumping in front of a train can be impulsive acts.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, prettycontent, The end ! and 3 others
sourpink

sourpink

Student
Aug 27, 2020
on one hand, methods mean very little.
perhaps it's simply a matter of accessibility or whatever comes to one's mind first.
then again, people read into things, sometimes more than we should. I can only speak on my own past attempts, past plans, future ones, etc., but being the philosophical creative type I see myself as, methods I've considered have usually held meaning personal to my existence and how I've felt about enduring it. with the interests I have, plants as poisons (both 'natural' as the plants you referred to as well as more manufactured plant derivatives like the opioid family) are tied neck and neck with bleeding out.
I have my reasons for preferring the methods I do, and there are methods I refuse to carry out, some due to trauma associated with them, some I just see as bland. not that eliminating one's own existence is a bland endeavor, but that some methods don't particularly appeal to me in that they hold little to no meaning and have few attachments to who I feel I am as a person.
but does our meaning behind our method mean anything, anyway? only the one carrying out their method can wholly understand the depths of whatever meaning their method might hold, it's very personal and I'd think impossible to be entirely accurately perceived by any other person.

• Love
Reactions: NeverSatisfied, prettycontent, The end ! and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think no matter the method, the conclusion is the same: those people were suffering in this unfair world and just needed a way out.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NeverSatisfied, The end ! and 2 others
Z

Zimcity

Mar 10, 2020
As someone else already voiced, method doesn't say anything about the person. We choose what's available to us.

• Love
Reactions: Peaceisnear, mpnf, NeverSatisfied and 1 other person