T

top_cat

Feb 21, 2019
I posted about why it's okay to bring someone into life but not take it.

You're absolutely right, you can't understand it.

Suicide is selfish because when someone commits it, they don't take their problems to the grave with them. Those problems, whatever they may be, become the problems of the suicidal person's family and friends.

Nobody ends their problems by committing suicide, they just give them to other people to deal with. And they do it without asking first. That's pretty much the textbook definition of selfish.

Why such a kneejerk response? Why is suicide the only topic where people get so emotional and make so many assumptions as if everyone has "family and friends".

Reactions: siray, Chlo, Jc40 and 5 others
Mr. Hang Man

Mr. Hang Man

Just hanging around
Mar 11, 2019
Put quite bluntly, they just don't understand. People end thier lives because they have NO family and friends. At least none that are willing to sit down and listen.

Reactions: throwaway123, Jc40, Worthless_nobody and 1 other person
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
Those problems, whatever they may be, become the problems of the suicidal person's family and friends.
Yeah, when I ctb, the problem of my descent into poverty will definitely become the problem of my quite well-off parents.

• Yay!
Reactions: Mr. Hang Man, throwaway123, Pulpit2018 and 6 others
ShadowOfTheDay

ShadowOfTheDay

Hungry Ghost
Feb 14, 2019

Suicide is selfish because when someone commits it, they don't take their problems to the grave with them. Those problems, whatever they may be, become the problems of the suicidal person's family and friends.

Nobody ends their problems by committing suicide, they just give them to other people to deal with. And they do it without asking first. That's pretty much the textbook definition of selfish.

Why such a kneejerk response? Why is suicide the only topic where people get so emotional and make so many assumptions as if everyone has "family and friends".
I think it's completely presumptuous to say that the amount of pain experienced by loved ones after the death of someone due to suicide is equivalent to that of the suicidal person. How could one possibly know how much pain another person is experiencing? Anyway, so what if it's selfish; if someone is in constant pain, isn't he or she entitled to try and end that pain?

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Circles, WOODESITY and 2 others
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Why is suicide the only topic where people get so emotional and make so many assumptions as if everyone has "family and friends".
This. It really pisses me off that people assume that. Not all of us are lucky enough to have a loving, family, partner, or friends. Some are truly alone. Even if we do live with family sometimes its more of a burden to be alive in some cases than to just be gone.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and ShadowOfTheDay
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
This person is dumb. Beyond the obvious fact that not everyone has family and friends, the statement just does not make sense.
My physical pain and chronic illness will not become anyone's problems when I am gone. They will disappear.
My dying will cause some emotional pain for my family, but who is to say what they feel will be greater than 50 more years of my own emotional and physical pain? Especially considering my parents will die soon anyway, and my brothers have their own families that matter to them far more than me. Likewise I am a very small part of the lives of the few friends I have left.

Reactions: Dead Meat, Wolfjob_dayjob, Beyondajoke and 5 others
Help_Me

Help_Me

Gene pool mistake
Oct 21, 2018
Pfff. Classic and old as civilization illogical bullsh*t about sharing problems by making them someone's else "burden". What if you don't have parents and friends ? (You know, actually most of suicidal persons suffer from that). You know guys, I have more reliable definition of selfish. Being selfish is swarming the internet with such idiotic pro-life stuff like that. It's an act against nature itself.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, throwaway777, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018

I watched a documentary a few nights ago about how people tend everywhere to become upset when their beliefs are challenged. The more deeply held the beliefs (regardless of if they turn out to false), the more violent the reaction to the challenge tends to be. I won't have discussions about suicide with anyone in person anymore. I mean, even here--one of the only pro-choice sites on the web--there are people arguing with others about what methods other people should use or how others should think about their own lives. The same people who yell at you to go kill yourself are among the same people vilifying you for trying/doing it. Maybe we all have the tool (AKA the a-hole) gene.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, ithappens, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
U

Untitled

Jan 14, 2019
I really believe that the reason people hold those thoughtless ideas about suicide is that they've heard others who hold those ideas and so they adopt them too. It was probably the same with homosexuality, slavery, women's right, whatever.

In my experience most people tend to first choose which beliefs they want to hold and only then they look for ways to convince themselves. Not the other way around.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I struggle with the fact that I'm going to cause my family pain, but my physical pain is unbearable. I hope they can understand someday.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, dandan, Jc40 and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah I think people just don't understand suicide and the people that do, well they are equally selfish (possibly even more so) by wanting the sufferer (suicidal person) to be alive just so they don't have to experience emotional and psychological pain. It is never (or very rarely) about the person suffering, but about themselves, government, and society.

Reactions: Jen Erik, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and dandan
Darkhole

Darkhole

Feb 21, 2019
Just piggybacking on what everyone else has said, I don't think it was mentioned that the people that are left behind to suffer do so on their own accord. Its within their ability to understand the nature of your suicide, if they are hurting because of survivors guilt, so be it. That's natural. To ask "what could we have done to help him or her" is a perfectly valid question. But to say that person is selfish is a very narrow way of looking at it, and it maybe be even more selfish than the act itself to hold that view. I doubt that anyone who has known a suicide victim (on a personal level) has felt that way though. I know when my close friend oded, although we hadn't been close in a long time I felt peace in my heart that what happened brought him permanent peace. Even though his death brought a lot of suffering to me, he was a tortured soul that did not deserve such a mangled identity. I think it's more of a Christian scare tactic that lacks any solid rationale.

Anyways who uses yahoo answers anymore? Ha ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TAW122 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
dandan

dandan

One more attempt on life.
Feb 18, 2019
Understand and accept some people think like that...

Other people are vegan, because animals suffer...

I think people not open for discussion are most annoying....

Like if someone is in physical pain is selfish to ctb? Of course not!
And emotional pain, similar!
Who's to decide? Who's to judge?

Reactions: TAW122 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
accidentaldeath

accidentaldeath

Student
May 29, 2018
Put quite bluntly, they just don't understand. People end thier lives because they have NO family and friends. At least none that are willing to sit down and listen.
It's not always like that. I'm still alive because my family loves me and they really care about me. It's just thay muy brain doesn't work as it should. I've been really worried about this topic, I don't see us, suicidal people as shelfish although I'm afraid there are some cases like mine where I think I'm passing my pain to my family.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Livinginhell

Livinginhell

Should be Existinginhell
Aug 13, 2018
Aren't the loved ones, friends and family, the selfish ones for expecting us to live in unbearable pain, torterous suffering just to keep them happy. Who's been selfish there?

Reactions: throwaway123, TAW122 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019

Three reasons - One they are genetically programmed to survive. Two they are brain washed by the masses. Three they live in their own bubble, meaning they think that because they view the world this way that others must also see it that way.