ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
What the title says really. Do you think most people will hold the same opinions of suicide for the next 10 years? 30 years? What about 150 years and so on? If you think society will change their opinion regarding suicide, how long do you think it'll take for society to reach that stage?

Reactions: Immensevoid
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
i honestly don't really ever see the majority of ppl accepting suicide as an option, esp as long as religion is still a thing. the amt of outcry & pushback MAID got & is still getting confirmed that for me.

so once religion's gone i guess, or it dies out enough to become uncommon/not hold any real power. then maybe we can start deconstructing the bastardization & stigma around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rozeske, reclaimedbynature and ijustwishtodie
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
If the planet gets rid of capitalism maybe there would be a discussion for further development as a species and planet in general

Reactions: LifeIsCrazyNemb, reclaimedbynature and ijustwishtodie
AnonymousRobin

AnonymousRobin

little bird fly away
Oct 7, 2022
I'm hoping in future assisted suicide is accepted, but I don't think suicide when not considering debilitating or endless disease will ever be accepted

Reactions: rozeske and ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
i honestly don't really ever see the majority of ppl accepting suicide as an option, esp as long as religion is still a thing. the amt of outcry & pushback MAID got & is still getting confirmed that for me.

so once religion's gone i guess, or it dies out enough to become uncommon/not hold any real power. then maybe we can start deconstructing the bastard/criminalization & stigma around it.
I agree and that's a great point. Religion has convinced people that human life is precious due to sanctity of life (whilst simultaneously wishing hell upon the non believers) and, because of this, religious people are against suicide. It's really sickening. Unfortunately, I doubt that religion would ever go away as it makes many people feel so important and valued that a god cares enough about them to listen to their prayers and all. Religion is used nicely to stroke the ego of people which makes them feel like they have meaning and value and hence I'd say that it'd take absolutely ages to get rid of religion entirely.

Though, now that I think about it, it isn't just religious people who oppose a peaceful suicide. Even the non religious people oppose a peaceful suicide and all of them (i.e. both the religious and non religious) oppose it because they all believe that we should go through hardship to get anywhere in life and that includes suicide too. They also all believe that keeping us alive is better in the hopes that we recover whilst being forced to involuntarily stay alive. Nonetheless, religion being gone should be enough to change society's views on suicide

Reactions: rozeske
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I think I often see it as the opposite to most people here.

I interact with a lot of people IRL and the sentiment is definitely pro-suicide and uncaring towards people who CTB.

Society and the government would certainly prefer someone to CTB if they are seen as not productive or contributing.

However, I do live in the UK where we have a very pro suicide government, some argument is that they actively encourage suicide by cutting back support, benefits, health care etc. We invest almost nothing into suicide prevention here and very little is done to help people.

Reactions: rozeske
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Unless our whole world becomes "crueler" and the general majority is not as sensitive to death and cruelty as they are nowadays (pls don't get me wrong with this statement) the opinions on suicide won't change much. There's till religions with billions of followers that preach that suicide is a sin.

"assisted suicide" that is accepted in some countries but actually you have to be "dread" already, suffered for many many years, depending on your personal circumstances. What about the people who want to die long before they have to experience agony and pain for many years to be able to apply for assisted suicide? That's a very difficult topic.

in all cases I believe that suicidal people and the ones who really commit in the end even with a peaceful method (like N) are a very small minority compared to the overall world-population.

Last edited:
Reactions: rozeske and ijustwishtodie
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I cannot imagine it changing much honestly, sadly I believe that most humans are way too selfish and deluded to accept suicide as the valid solution to escape from suffering that it truly is. The society needs slaves which is why I believe this society is filled with anti-suicide brainwashing to try and make people believe that wanting to die is "irrational" even know it could never be, I see suicide as very rational to find peace from the futile and dreadful burden of existing as a human.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
I think it depends on politics. We live in a capitalist statist society, if people were free to CTB then capitalism would lose quite a lot of consumers and workers since ironically, capitalism causes or at least exacerbates a lot of people's suicidality. If we eliminate capitalism and replace it with a system that doesn't revolve around making life great for 1% of people then I imagine it would be a lot easier to get assisted suicide to become universal so long as religion no longer has an influence on societal rules/regulations/laws. I also think outlook on children would affect age limits and what not, I think if we hold the same view of people under a certain age (could be 18, 21 specific number doesn't matter) not being able to make that choice then it'll only be universal for people above said age whilst people under that age may have to fit certain requirements or just flat out have to continue suffering until society deems them capable of deciding their suffering is enough. I think our view of children in relation to their parents also would influence how fine we are with it, since we currently view children like the property of parents, there would be a lot of opposition to people of all ages who still have live parents being able to CTB on the basis that you're "just cowardly spreading your pain to others/wasting the hard work of your parents". I also think when climate change starts to really hit the fan CTB will become a lot more acceptable because maybe for once pro-lifers will truly accept the fact that if you're gonna die anyways might as well die on your own terms rather than go through a period of climate catastrophe never before seen in human history and CTB may even be implicitly encouraged because it decreases the amount of people needing food, shelter etc. when climate change disrupts supply chains and destroys a lot of buildings and homes so it would be more convenient if people CTBed, unlike nowadays where people CTBing inconviences the locals through the mental pain it causes and inconviences the government because that's another worker/taxpayer/potential-conscript gone. I believe climate change will at least temporarily cause a pro-CTB shift, though that shift won't be pro-choice but outright encouragement for convenience, after climate change who knows, human society will surely change so much once climate change ends our current ways of living and systems it's borderline impossible to make any predictions that far ahead.

notherenotnow

notherenotnow

Oct 7, 2023
In ten years not much will probably change, but in the further future it definitely will. Every contrroversial thing at some point becomes normality. I feel like people will accept suicide more than they do right now in the future.

Reactions: LifeIsCrazyNemb