N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I see it as pretty irrational in my country. It is an idiosyncracy of my country just as the relation between Americans and their guns.
The Greens currently demand a speed limit but the liberal party defends it. Because it is an expression of freedom. It is quite an ideological argument with a lot of symbolic power.

There are some statistics that not many lives could be saved if it was implemented. But it might help in the fight against climate change.
Personally I don't really give a fuck. I don't like driving cars. The pressure not to make a mistake is fucking up my head. It is kind of pathetic. I am too much of a mental wreck in order to drive a car. And I am always so scared I accidentally kill someone. I avoid to drive.

Do you think Germans are idiots for having no speed limit on many/some of their high ways?

Reactions: Shivali
Cryptonite

Cryptonite

In the state of shock of what happened
Apr 30, 2022
I see it as pretty irrational in my country. It is an idiosyncracy of my country just as the relation between Americans and their guns.
The Greens currently demand a speed limit but the liberal party defends it. Because it is an expression of freedom. It is quite an ideological argument with a lot of symbolic power.

There are some statistics that not many lives could be saved if it was implemented. But it might help in the fight against climate change.
Personally I don't really give a fuck. I don't like driving cars. The pressure not to make a mistake is fucking up my head. It is kind of pathetic. I am too much of a mental wreck in order to drive a car. And I am always so scared I accidentally kill someone. I avoid to drive.

Do you think Germans are idiots for having no speed limit on many/some of their high ways?
The simile with Americans and their guns is absolutely spot on in this case. As long as something is seen as an ideological symbol, you know there will be some troubles.

Obviously, there should be a speed limit everywhere.

Reactions: Shivali
8evergo

8evergo

Mage
Oct 20, 2021
The Germans have a shit weapons law and a high crime comparable to the USA, the media there just fool you and the politicians too

• Yay!
Reactions: Rapière
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
I'm amazed! What speed do people usually drive at on the Autobahns without a limit?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I'm amazed! What speed do people usually drive at on the Autobahns without a limit?
Not sure. I don't drive much. I thought Americans would know more about this fact. I have seen some US-comedians making jokes about this insane policy. Something like no matter how fast you drive there will always be one who is faster.

Reactions: rationaltake
J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
Isn't the Autobahn quite safe though in terms of accidents? It has a good reputation internationally in my experience.

I don't like driving either... My anxiety goes through the roof. I don't think I could handle Autobahn speeds myself.

8evergo

8evergo

Mage
Oct 20, 2021
find highways in arizona and montana and in the northeast of usa relx and well the same highways in netherlands are similar to those of the usa

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Not sure. I don't drive much. I thought Americans would know more about this fact. I have seen some US-comedians making jokes about this insane policy. Something like no matter how fast you drive there will always be one who is faster.
I'm not American. I don't drive at all due to cognitive difficulties. Interesting though.

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021

But is germany this hard-core when it comes to the rules of the road?đź‘€