• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
Object sexuality is where people form romantic and sexual attachments to objects. Usually based on the idea that the object has a soul and is alive so is not considered to be a fetish. This documentary is not condoned by the OS community but it's the only one I know of and gives you the general idea. There's large overlap between OS people and autism and synesthesia.

I think OS is peaceful and they don't deserve the hate they get.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
I think it's lovely. I don't understand it literally because it's not my sexuality but I approve.

However, it must be incredibly difficult to grow up. Because other people will never even anticipate what your internal experience is like.

I have a different paraphilia, I have it compartmentalised because it's not worth it to me. But I am curious if people with object sexuality are insulted or degraded by society's bemused reaction? Nobody would EVER make a documentary about me. I am disgusting.

So I am really curious to know if object sexualities would be harmed by that like I was.

Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
My guess is if you were completely open and honest about it, most people wouldn't take it literally and assume it was just your sarcastic humour.

Reactions: xinino
T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
I think it's lovely. I don't understand it literally because it's not my sexuality but I approve.

However, it must be incredibly difficult to grow up. Because other people will never even anticipate what your internal experience is like.

I have a different paraphilia, I have it compartmentalised because it's not worth it to me. But I am curious if people with object sexuality are insulted or degraded by society's bemused reaction? Nobody would EVER make a documentary about me. I am disgusting.

So I am really curious to know if object sexualities would be harmed by that like I was.
The comments on a lot of the OS videos are heinous to the point comments should be turned off. The brave few that come out, I don't know how they handle it. The main woman in that video, Erika Eiffel said she's gone public to raise awareness.

Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I don't think anything about it, and it doesn't sound like it's harming anyone. If they found something fulfilling I'm happy for them. Why not, after all? There's a few objects in my life, that have only ever been good to me, like my computer and my bed. Seems like they would make decent non-traditional partners.

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024

Here's another example. Btw I'm not OS myself but would like to be seen as an ally.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
The comments on a lot of the OS videos are heinous to the point comments should be turned off. The brave few that come out, I don't know how they handle it. The main woman in that video, Erika Eiffel said she's gone public to raise awareness.
aw man. I have to avoid most social media comments. People just use it to vent their frustrations by saying really terrible things. I sometimes dedicate my time to taking the compassionate stance and fighting with them, but at the end of the day they've won because now I'm an angry person too.

Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
Yeah lowering yourself to that level sucks. I do it all the time too, even today. It's that feeling of righteous anger that seems addictive. But always feels worse after.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
Yeah lowering yourself to that level sucks. I do it all the time too, even today. It's that feeling of righteous anger that seems addictive. But always feels worse after.
my compassion only lasts so long and then I become dysregulated and I'm taking every personal detail I've learned and inferred and just insulting them. I may have good intentions initially but if I choose to put myself into a situation where I am not being understood then I only have myself to blame for my anger and resultant behaviour.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Like so many of the folks here have already said, as long as the person is hurting, bothering etc. and minding their own business, live life.

too much of the time, time is spent worrying what someone else thinks and who cares what other people think.

If someone is going to be a jerk and give another poor soul crap over nothing, no matter what they will always find something to zing another person on.

In my 68 plus years here, I have had folks give me crap and/or intrude into my life and I have always ignored them, always.

Walter

Live, love, be kind, be thoughtful, be wonderous and above all be YOU.

Last edited:
avoid

avoid

ā¦æā€ƒā¦æ
Jul 31, 2023
I prefer to avoid certain groups of people for different reasons. This helps me live up to the principle of live and let live.

• Hugs
Reactions: xinino and whywere
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
my compassion only lasts so long and then I become dysregulated and I'm taking every personal detail I've learned and inferred and just insulting them. I may have good intentions initially but if I choose to put myself into a situation where I am not being understood then I only have myself to blame for my anger and resultant behaviour.
I feel like I understand this lesson. And have for a long time. But I still keep falling for it. If someone can bridge that gap between intellectual understanding and practical action for me, I would appreciate it greatly!

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Do we not all already see our targets of sexual attraction as objects even when they are human? These guys might be on to something, and ahead of the curve.

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
I feel like I understand this lesson. And have for a long time. But I still keep falling for it. If someone can bridge that gap between intellectual understanding and practical action for me, I would appreciate it greatly!
Okay, so your 'target behaviour' is getting involved in frustrating arguments online and the behaviour that arise which cause shame in the future.

The first step is to gather data, which is a journal. You want to record all the little daily things in there because that will help to inform you about your vulnerabilities. Willpower is a finite resource and that is proven with repeatable experiments. So if during your day you're experiencing difficulties, that will sap your control for later in the day.

The second step is to take some regulation skills on board, which are a bottom-up sort of thing. Hygiene, physical health, a clean living space. Mindfulness is a necessary practice and another thing you keep track of in your journal. Mindfulness is a skill you build through practice, and eventually it will translate into direct emotional awareness and active self-observation.

The third step is to start recording in EXCRUCIATING detail everything that lead up to the behaviour you wish to change. Where you were, what was said, what you felt, what you did, what you felt after, etcetera. Stick only to literal facts for this part.

Then you're going to take all that data and use it to make small changes in your life which will reduce the drain on your willpower/emotional stamina. I am not done sculpting my behaviour by any means, and I noticed that the activity really resembles what I was doing when I trained my cat to give me high fives for food. Because, when you exhibit healthy coping mechanisms and you don't engage in that argument and you don't have to cope with the shame after, you reward yourself. Just like my cat. It's working for me.

One thing I think I realised through all this, is that "we" are our attention. We are not in control of the hugest majority of our personality aspects. They come from our genetics, from our upbringings and past, and from our current contexts. But we will always have the ability to decide where we direct our attention. That is where agency lies. If there is a soul, that's where it is. That's who we are--our conscious attention. The rest of the mind does its own thing--just try observing your thoughts sometime :)

Reactions: xinino and Apathy79
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
This is a great post. We're clearly off track for the thread but I'm going to engage with it anyway because I find it interesting!

1. Journal is something I've been meaning to do forever and never bother except in short bursts about all of life every few years. I'm going to start now with just what happened today, including this discussion.

2. The examples you gave of regulation skills are interestingly all areas that I could improve fairly easily and quickly. I've had dishes sitting waiting to be washed for days. I had a pizza and ice cream for dinner so physical health clearly isn't top priority. Mindfulness is a deeper subject - as a regular meditator I feel like I should be pretty good with it, but those meditation sessions are largely isolated and still don't transfer well to everything else.

3. Well lets use the example of posting in an inflamed thread tonight. I was on the couch browsing SS. Saw a notification that someone quoted a previous post of mine. It turned out to be a negative reaction to it. I replied and tried to correct it. And it continued for too many posts. I knew I was stooping down to an unbecoming level but did it anyway. The feeling behind it I think is righteous anger - it usually is in these cases. Feeling after and even during was why am I doing this? Nothing good can come out of it. Then the small part of me counters "but I'm right and need to show it".

4. So what are the changes? Well the journal is a start. Identify it when it happens. Washing the dishes can't hurt. I'll do that after this post as a test of following through. Show myself I can do what I tell myself to do. And then next time the same situation arises, see the negative response, consider it and play out if responding is the best use of my mental and emotional energy.

Well let's see how this goes. I like the framework. Now I better do the dishes!

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't really know why people get so hung up on behaviours they don't think are 'natural'. Obviously so long as they aren't hurting other people and everything is consensual. I don't condone acting on paedophilic desires.

But, what does it matter who or what a person loves? It's not like the human race is going to die out if some of us are gay, some of us are asexual, some of us want to make love to historical monuments!

I think I watched that documentary a while back. I don't exactly have that but I'd say I do tend to 'suffer' from limerence- obsessive crushes on people. I don't know how far off that is in a way. It's not like it's real. It's a fantasy of what you want that person to be, based loosely on them. They just seem to do the same but with objects. I understand the intensity behind it.

I remember there being a woman who was 'in love' with the bannister in her church. The former vicar there I remember had been really unkind to her. I remember thinking that was cruel. Who does he think created her that way in the first place? I guess the church has a strict stance on sex in general though really. It was nice to see that the vicar that replaced him was kinder to her.

Maybe I do have a touch of it though... I remember seeing the appeal in one of the fairground rides they looked at! Lol. That's not really so far fetched though. Some objects are more masculine than feminine in design. The obvious attributes are angles and broad strong planes as opposed to curves. Maybe they just have a really heightened appreciation of the masculine in architecture. I found it interesting it was mostly women who were researched. I wonder if it's so common in men...

4_science

4_science

Apr 12, 2024
As an autist, I find it strange. Objects donĀ“t replace warmth of touch or give you a hug, when you want one. I find it also a bit sad to use an imamate object as a replacement for basic needs. But you do you. I guess. This is nothing to have a poll on imo. You donĀ“t need credit or validation as long as you are happy with your choices or find them satisfying and match your personal needs.

• Hugs
Reactions: xinino and whywere
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
It's strange and unconventional, but I can still understand it. I can also understand why people would find it uncanny and be against it. They're well within their rights to do so; but I don't necessarily think it's a mental illness on its own. People can 'personify' pretty much anythingā€”it's done all the time. Though it's probably insanely rare to have this level of feeling for an inanimate object, the human capacity for love and anomalies knows no bounds. It's unsurprising for the two to enmesh like this eventually.

No harm, no foul. As with any oddity in the human condition, I might hold an opinion or judgement, but if they're an otherwise decent person, it wouldn't change how I treat them.

4_science

4_science

Apr 12, 2024
It's strange and unconventional, but I can still understand it. I can also understand why people would find it uncanny and be against it. They're well within their rights to do so; but I don't necessarily think it's a mental illness on its own. People can 'personify' pretty much anythingā€”it's done all the time. Though it's probably insanely rare to have this level of feeling for an inanimate object, the human capacity for love and anomalies knows no bounds. It's unsurprising for the two to enmesh like this eventually.

No harm, no foul. As with any oddity in the human condition, I might hold an opinion or judgement, but if they're an otherwise decent person, it wouldn't change how I treat them.
DSM5 and ICD11 disagree with you there.

Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
I don't really have an opinion on object sexuality, but I do like being sexually objectified.

toro

toro

dr pepper drinker
Feb 11, 2023
im super objectum lol, and autistic so i guess it checks out. if any of u guys happen to look like rifle or computer then lmk ill fall in love with u instantly.

genuinely tho, its a victimless crime, unless ur grinding on it where unconsenting eyes can see.. but yk what I mean

Reactions: pilotviolin
pilotviolin

pilotviolin

Student
Jan 27, 2024
id probably marry my car or an excel sheet, i dont really think cars or excel sheets are sexy or like them in particular but the subject of love is weird but i would marry my car legally because why not.