je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
I saw a post in the Suicide Discussion titled "What are your insecurities?"

Life is often unfair.

For most of us, our list of insecurities and things we dislike about ourselves is (much) longer than the things that we like about ourselves, I do not doubt that for even a second. But given this is the recovery section, there must be something about yourself or in your life that you – even slightly – like, right? I too see straight through the hollowness of narcissistic false positivity; "love yourself", "it gets better", "someone else has it worse", "looks aren't important"...

FOH with that BS.

But my question to the recovering folk is:

What (if anything) do you like about yourself? Feel free to answer "nothing"

One of my insecurities is being a bit socially inept, but I do try to be an understanding, empathetic person, so my personality isn't completely horrible – if I do say so myself lål

• Love
Reactions: quiet.rabbit, disillusion, Moonomyth and 2 others
intelcorei2duo

intelcorei2duo

Jan 13, 2023
Only thing i like bout myself is that i'm still young and there's still slim possibility that things can get better in the future
Yet me and my life sucks in all directions and id rather be dead than young

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide, disillusion, cowmeow and 4 others
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
I like when I can be funny, though I probably come across as mostly dour and humorless online. For the most part I am pretty chill and nonjudgmental in real life too, and have generally kind intentions even if I'm unable to express them well.

• Love
Reactions: disillusion, botanormal, Rocinante and 1 other person
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
Only thing i like bout myself is that i'm still young and there's still slim possibility that things can get better in the future
Yet me and my life sucks in all directions and id rather be dead than young
I'm hanging onto that slim possibility too, there may still be opportunities to enjoy our youth. I also feel trapped by a life that seems to suck in all directions. Maybe eventually it won't? One can always CTB later.
I like when I can be funny, though I probably come across as mostly dour and humorless online. For the most part I am pretty chill and nonjudgmental in real life too, and have generally kind intentions even if I'm unable to express them well.
You sound like the kind of person we need more of in this world; it's very easy to find people with malevolent intentions

Reactions: Rainy_days and Rocinante
intelcorei2duo

intelcorei2duo

Jan 13, 2023
I'm hanging onto that slim possibility too, there may still be opportunities to enjoy our youth. I also feel trapped by a life that seems to suck in all directions. Maybe eventually it won't? One can always CTB later.
Foremostly I want to die because life is repetitive and the early 'best years of life' made me crippled instead happy and functional i'm coming in the late youth with a baggage of horrible experience and totally inept ofc the outcome depends on my efforts but i developed deeprooted nihilistic and pessimistic attitudes towards life so 'happy end' is very unlikely. There's prospects and time to have fun in 20s, but uni isn't same as middle and high school, and afterwards comes long years of slaving out for wage. So idk Im applying efforts to be better and hoping turn less bitter in the future so i may integrate in society and 'live life at the fullest' as they say, but i know that odds are against and i may kill myself rn

Reactions: Rocinante
ChoclateIsSweet

ChoclateIsSweet

ChocolateIsSweet
Mar 24, 2020
Export202301110215287542
It's still in progress, but I like that sometimes I can express myself through art. I struggle with words and speaking generally so it helps a lot.

• Love
Reactions: Deo volente, deathlamp, kanashikunaika and 18 others
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
Foremostly I want to die because life is repetitive and the early 'best years of life' made me crippled instead happy and functional i'm coming in the late youth with a baggage of horrible experience and totally inept ofc the outcome depends on my efforts but i developed deeprooted nihilistic and pessimistic attitudes towards life so 'happy end' is very unlikely. There's prospects and time to have fun in 20s, but uni isn't same as middle and high school, and afterwards comes long years of slaving out for wage. So idk Im applying efforts to be better and hoping turn less bitter in the future so i may integrate in society and 'live life at the fullest' as they say, but i know that odds are against and i may kill myself rn
I've finished university, and honestly, one of my biggest regrets (to date) is not making the most of it. I was too afraid to put myself out there, and now I regret it because one does not get the university experience again. Ever. In my opinion, university is the best, especially if you live away from home. LOADS of freedom and space to yourself.

Reactions: Rocinante
intelcorei2duo

intelcorei2duo

Jan 13, 2023
I've finished university, and honestly, one of my biggest regrets (to date) is not making the most of it. I was too afraid to put myself out there, and now I regret it because one does not get the university experience again. Ever. In my opinion, university is the best, especially if you live away from home. LOADS of freedom and space to yourself.
I'm gonna take preparatory courses for uni and enroll in one in Sep. So i've a last ditch attempt to make sumthing out of this, anyway i've plenty of time to make the try 50/50 successful

Reactions: disillusion and Rocinante
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
View attachment 103603
It's still in progress, but I like that sometimes I can express myself through art. I struggle with words and speaking generally so it helps a lot.
That is awesome! You've definitely got artistic talent going for you. I'm intrigued, could you tell me some more about this piece? My brain sees the prominent face, and also 2 other faceless figures with arms and legs. The darkness/use of grayscale of it makes me think of the mindset of empty nihilism. I don't know how correct my interpretation would be lål
I'm gonna take preparatory courses for uni and enroll in one in Sep. So i've a last ditch attempt to make sumthing out of this, anyway i've plenty of time to make the try 50/50 successful
That sounds like a plan! What will you be studying? Make sure not to burn out (more than you already might be)!

Reactions: Rocinante and ChoclateIsSweet
intelcorei2duo

intelcorei2duo

Jan 13, 2023
That is awesome! You've definitely got artistic talent going for you. I'm intrigued, could you tell me some more about this piece? My brain sees the prominent face, and also 2 other faceless figures with arms and legs. The darkness/use of grayscale of it makes me think of the mindset of empty nihilism. I don't know how correct my interpretation would be lål

That sounds like a plan! What will you be studying? Make sure not to burn out (more than you already might be)!
Prob comp science or something on foreign languages. There's other options like renewable energy that more appealing to me but i suck at math and physics required for enrollment

Reactions: throwawayyy, disillusion, Rocinante and 1 other person
Kurushii

Kurushii

Student
Jan 14, 2023
One thing that I like about myself is that I'm rather good at organising things and cleaning. If- I have the energy to do anything at all. Sometimes when I'm stressed or whatever I end up cleaning my area and it calms me down if only a little. It's the preferrable coping mechanism for me

• Love
Reactions: botanormal, Rocinante, ChoclateIsSweet and 1 other person
M

mojabaka

Student
Apr 20, 2022
I don't know, guess I like that I can speak 4 languages and I consider myself a polite person. On the other hand the politeness bit me in the ass a few times, because I often don't state my opinion when I should've done so. I guess I'm also a good friend, at least I've been told that several times by several people.

• Love
Reactions: disillusion, botanormal, Rocinante and 2 others
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I saw a post in the Suicide Discussion titled "What are your insecurities?"

Life is often unfair.

For most of us, our list of insecurities and things we dislike about ourselves is (much) longer than the things that we like about ourselves, I do not doubt that for even a second. But given this is the recovery section, there must be something about yourself or in your life that you – even slightly – like, right? I too see straight through the hollowness of narcissistic false positivity; "love yourself", "it gets better", "someone else has it worse", "looks aren't important"...

FOH with that BS.

But my question to the recovering folk is:

What (if anything) do you like about yourself? Feel free to answer "nothing"

One of my insecurities is being a bit socially inept, but I do try to be an understanding, empathetic person, so my personality isn't completely horrible – if I do say so myself lål
My intelligence and my appearance.

• Love
Reactions: LadyApple, ChoclateIsSweet, Rocinante and 1 other person
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
One thing that I like about myself is that I'm rather good at organising things and cleaning. If- I have the energy to do anything at all. Sometimes when I'm stressed or whatever I end up cleaning my area and it calms me down if only a little. It's the preferrable coping mechanism for me
Yes! There is just something cathartic about keeping your own little corner of the world in order.

Reactions: ChoclateIsSweet and Rocinante
Kurushii

Kurushii

Student
Jan 14, 2023
Yes! There is just something cathartic about keeping your own little corner of the world in order.
Definitely. There may not be much I have control over, but at the very least I can have my room be any way I want it to. Having my own space is essiential.

• Love
Reactions: Rocinante and je.suis.prêt
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
I don't know, guess I like that I can speak 4 languages and I consider myself a polite person. On the other hand the politeness bit me in the ass a few times, because I often don't state my opinion when I should've done so. I guess I'm also a good friend, at least I've been told that several times by several people.
I envy people like you! I've always wanted to be fluent in at least one other, I made quite a bit of progress in one, but the fluency barrier is taking a bit longer for me.
Which languages can you speak?
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Talar du Svenska? Parlez-vous Française?

I think I relate to the politeness too, people like us need to maintain our politeness, but understand that politeness and assertiveness are not mutually exclusive – still learning to put that into practise.
Definitely. There may not be much I have control over, but at the very least I can have my room be any way I want it to. Having my own space is essiential.
I agree with every word, the feeling of control over some aspect of ones' life is essential for good mental health. When I was at university, having my own room in a far away city made me sooo happy – my own corner of the world where I feel completely in control and at peace. Now that I have finished and have to move home where there is no space, I can literally feel my mental health declining by the day :(

I hang onto the hope that this won't last much longer though.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Regen and Rocinante
M

mojabaka

Student
Apr 20, 2022
I envy people like you! I've always wanted to be fluent in at least one other, I made quite a bit of progress in one, but the fluency barrier is taking a bit longer for me.
Which languages can you speak?
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Talar du Svenska? Parlez-vous Française?

I think I relate to the politeness too, people like us need to maintain our politeness, but understand that politeness and assertiveness are not mutually exclusive – still learning to put that into practise.
Thanks. I can speak German, Croatian, English and Japanese. I used to work as translator before getting sick. Yes, politeness and assertiveness are definitely not mutually exclusive, but I always seem to overthink conversations and always try my best to be polite in order to not insult somebody. Therefore, I often don't stand up for myself. But this changed a bit since I've goten sick. Some doctors tried to gaslight me and I basically told them "you suck" right to their faces. So I kinda stood up to myself for the first time in years. Unfortunately the cons of my illnes far outweigh the pros, which is why I'm here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Source Energy, je.suis.prêt and Rocinante
ChoclateIsSweet

ChoclateIsSweet

ChocolateIsSweet
Mar 24, 2020
Thank you!!! It's my interpretation of the lyrics,
"I'm incapable of being human,
I'm incapable of being inhuman."
It's kind of cheesy but I love the song so much!!! I want to be able to fully illustrate each lyrics one day, but it's 13:18 long so it'll definitely take some time :D

• Love
Reactions: Regen, je.suis.prêt and Rocinante
LookingforAnswers

LookingforAnswers

Student
Mar 15, 2022
My ability to connect with people, my curiosity to learn and dive into things im passionate about and my sense of humor

• Love
Reactions: disillusion, LivideLamb, botanormal and 1 other person
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
Thanks. I can speak German, Croatian, English and Japanese. I used to work as translator before getting sick. Yes, politeness and assertiveness are definitely not mutually exclusive, but I always seem to overthink conversations and always try my best to be polite in order to not insult somebody. Therefore, I often don't stand up for myself. But this changed a bit since I've goten sick. Some doctors tried to gaslight me and I basically told them "you suck" right to their faces. So I kinda stood up to myself for the first time in years. Unfortunately the cons of my illnes far outweigh the pros, which is why I'm here.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad doctor experience and illness, I wish you all the best with wherever life takes you.
Thank you!!! It's my interpretation of the lyrics,
"I'm incapable of being human,
I'm incapable of being inhuman."
It's kind of cheesy but I love the song so much!!! I want to be able to fully illustrate each lyrics one day, but it's 13:18 long so it'll definitely take some time :D
Oh that sounds cool, so as time goes on, you'll add more to the piece that reflect other lyrics? Please share it when you're done, you seem very creative
My ability to connect with people, my curiosity to learn and dive into things im passionate about and my sense of humor
I'm glad to hear that

My sense of humour is dry AF, exhibit A:

Why was the witch confused?

She didn't know which witch was which Screenshot 116

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoclateIsSweet
Inferno

Inferno

Jan 9, 2023
I like my eyes, I think they're pretty.

• Love
Reactions: disillusion, newave3, je.suis.prêt and 1 other person
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
I like my imagination. Even when life really sucks, my imagination can paint a much prettier picture, and it can help me to feel more at ease. Sometimes good imagination feels even better than drugs lol :haha::heart:

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: S like suicide, disillusion, Regen and 2 others
N

northernskies

Jan 13, 2023
hmm i like my hair and my piercing and my fashion style and the music i listen to. i think im good on the outside. except for my actual body i hate that part of myself but my face is cool and so is my personality.. i think

• Love
Reactions: je.suis.prêt
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
I like my eyes, I think they're pretty.
What colour are you blessed with?

I like my imagination. Even when life really sucks, my imagination can paint a much prettier picture, and it can help me to feel more at ease. Sometimes good imagination feels even better than drugs lol :haha::heart:
Of course, I often find myself putting on my noise cancelling headphones and just getting lost in fantasies when I am alone. Helps me cope. Even momentarily.

hmm i like my hair and my piercing and my fashion style and the music i listen to. i think im good on the outside. except for my actual body i hate that part of myself but my face is cool and so is my personality.. i think
I'm glad to hear that, you have a lot going it sounds; nice hair, fashion, face, and personality.

• Hugs
Reactions: botanormal
CowsAgainstCapitali

CowsAgainstCapitali

Dec 11, 2022
I like that I can find the silver lining in any shitty, dark cloud. I can see the best qualities in the worst people and give credit where due. And I'm just stupid, stupid good looking.

• Love
Reactions: disillusion and je.suis.prêt
Inferno

Inferno

Jan 9, 2023
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Source Energy, throwawayyy, S like suicide and 1 other person
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Previously I'd have said, based on general reviews and feedback, that l was relatively smart, always able to make people laugh, well-dressed and handsome in a dim light, solid entertainment value, good company when drinking, an honest man of principle and loyal to his friends. These things no longer apply but they certainly did once and I'd hope this is how I'm remembered, if only by one person.

• Love
Reactions: not_actually_human, disillusion, Cathy Ames and 4 others
je.suis.prêt

je.suis.prêt

Hjälp mig
Jul 9, 2022
I can't tell if they're blue or grey. Here's a picture of my iris:
View attachment 103708
I call those glue eyes (grey + blue lål). I love them!
I like that I can find the silver lining in any shitty, dark cloud. I can see the best qualities in the worst people and give credit where due. And I'm just stupid, stupid good looking.
An eye for silver linings is a great trait to have.

Congratulations on winning the genetic lottery!

Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
Not to sound like a know-it-all but I like that I'm really wise when it comes to philosophy, morality, human rights, politics, etc. It's good to know that despite my shitty life or because of it I've become a wiser person. I'm truly ahead of my time and even though it can be really hard I hold myself to a high standard, much more than others.
I do of course make mistakes sometimes but still that doesn't take away what I've learned. Because of what I've learned I put in a lot of heart in my actions. That's another thing I like about myself I have a big heart. 😊

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: disillusion and je.suis.prêt
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
I can write worth a damn when I need to, and I'm pretty good at scraping out of bad situations with a self-effacing manner and appearance that makes people give me the benefit of the doubt.

I am reasonably good at and enjoy arguing with other people (although this is often against my own best interests). If I ever believed in something that would be real useful.

• Love
Reactions: je.suis.prêt