What do you think about longterm members?

• totally fine everyone has a different way to deal with suicidal thoughts

Votes: 80 73.4%
  • they are not hurting anyone by their presence

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • questionable

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • must be halfway psychopaths

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • depends on the longterm member

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • too ambivalent to give an answer

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am currently somewhat acute suicidal. Thinking about ordering SN. I debated it today for at least 5 hours and could not think of anything else. I decided to postpone the decision for today.

There is a thread where longterm members express that they feel like frauds for being on here. So many members leave the forum because they are unable to watch so many people in existential pain and/or killing themselves. I also ask myself what is wrong with me that I am able to post here where so many people suffer extremely on a daily basis. Whether I am too numb or whether I lack human empathy.

My personal answer is: I profit a lot by this forum emotionally. It is hard to quantfy it but I feel way better when I am able to vent here. The time without this forum was soulcrushing. I feel accepted here. I feel surrounded by people who understand my pain. I can relate to the people on here. It gives me self-esteem when I get compliments for my threads. It seems to be my useless bipolar superpower to create countless threads on a suicide forum. I am pretty sure there are barely or none places on the internet where I could talk as uncensored and fully honest as on here. This is unique.

At the same time I think of so many members who left either saying the suffering on here is too much for them, they committed suicide or decided against suicide. Personally I think my daily pain level is pretty high. I think my pain is pretty excessive and personally I profit so much of sharing and expressing all the different thoughts and emotions that I am going through. I assume that there are statistically extremely many thoughts in my head compared to healthy people. And most of them are hurting me so fucking much. My consciousness is a torture chamber. I could imagine other longterm members also have a very high pain level which might decrease their senstivity towards other people suffering.

I think I am probably not the only longterm member who sometimes has a guilty conscience for being on here. The groups that are attacking this forum also target specifically longterm members. Personally I wrote many recovery threads when I was in a better shape and tried recovery myself. I am a very careful person when it comes to suicide trying to weigh the pros and cons in a completely rational way. This is something I brought up as a topic in my recovery threads and recommended that strategy.

Usually I am posting my opinion on this forum but in this thread I am mostly interested in the takes of members who are not that long on here. Do you think of us as hypocrites? Or that something might be wrong with us? I once wanted to copy a style from a newspaper and write under my profile noname223 columnist on sanctioned suicide. But I am scared of inappropriate humor. I think it is totally fine to cope with dark humor but I am scared of certain implications. This forum is not really only for fun. Though it is fact that dark humor can sometimes take the edges off pain.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Hopeless, but literally
Nov 14, 2018
I'm a really old member, although I was never very active. I don't plan to ctb any time soon. That was not the reason I became a member.

To describe how I see my life: I believe I have lost all hope, there is no realistic chance of me ever turning things around, so any other forum about mental health problems isn't for me, because I'm not looking for any kind of solution. There is no solution. I'm just looking for other people who feel the same way, just to feel a little less alone. Although I'm certain that death is the best option for me and the only way the pain would ever go away, there are still reasons I won't ctb for many years, if ever.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: BojackHorseman, goodjunkies, Tiny Little Tree and 18 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I don't have anything against them but I don't know what to think about them either. I assume they couldn't get their hands on the means of having a peaceful and dignified death so they're still alive to this day OR they joined all those years ago to talk to people who thought the same way as them and they didn't have any plans to ctb very soon.

Reactions: sserafim and Praestat_Mori
girlsboysthems

girlsboysthems

no i dont have a gun
Dec 19, 2022
im concerned about the ones who are here for a long time and have those massive message scores. or the new ones with massive scores those scare me.

Reactions: sserafim, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
People can stay on this site for as long as they like and it's not other people's business or something for them to judge, people come on here for their own personal reasons. In my case I've been on this site for a long time as suicide is difficult and inaccessible for me personally, it really isn't straightforward to cease existing on our own terms after all, in fact it's the opposite for me. Recently I've been using this site as a place to vent about how much I hate existing, I originally made my account to research suicide methods.

Last edited:
Reactions: BojackHorseman, goodjunkies, Tiny Little Tree and 8 others
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
it makes me worry about how difficult it is to ctb

Reactions: zengiraffe, chloramine, TheGoodGuy and 3 others
vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
The fact that they have been here for a long time is relatable. I've struggled with ideation for nearly 20 years and yet I am still alive.

• Hugs
Reactions: InAgony, p49CwWzD, chloramine and 7 others
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
What do you consider long term? I've been here a while, have spates of interacting, spates of lurking, spates of not signing on. My ideation is stronger now than it was when I joined. Access to reliable means isn't an issue… it's just I'm still not ready. Not yet at least.

I do wonder sometimes if the longer term members were already in the slighter older age bracket when they first joined. Maybe time for another poll….

Reactions: sserafim, chloramine and Praestat_Mori
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
"Must be halfway psychopaths" hahahahah

• Love
Reactions: wait.what, sserafim, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I think it's pretty normal for people to take years to work up to actually CTBing.

Reactions: sserafim, chloramine, TheGoodGuy and 5 others
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
I don't think it's too bad. Whoever does judge them should ask themselves how long they were suicidal before they joined. Because if they've been suicidal for years themselves, who are they to judge others?

Reactions: sserafim, chloramine, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I'm by far not a long term member yet but I think SS is a place for everyone who needs a refuge to talk about their problems in life which they can't discuss with anyone else outside this community.

Reactions: sserafim, wait.what and chloramine
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
We're all still here for different reasons. Someone could live their entire life with ideation, yet never CTB. What are they supposed to do for support?

I guess there's the conspiracy theory that some people are here for the perverse thrill of witnessing/ encouraging others to die. Personally- I think that's bullshit. I only recall one member ages ago who seemed to be asking everyone if they planned to CTB any time soon. That came across as weird but who knows? Maybe they were looking for a partner. I think there are certainly members who seem to enjoy wallowing in tragedy and misery. I'd include myself in that bracket sometimes.

Still- what's the alternative? You should only become a member here if you commit to killing yourself within a certain time frame? Now- that does sound more like a cult!

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori, chloramine and 1 other person
K

k1w1

Experienced
Feb 16, 2022
What sort of conclusions could you hope to draw from the premises behind these tickboxes?
  • totally fine everyone has a different way to deal with suicidal thoughts
  • they are not hurting anyone by their presence
  • questionable
  • must be halfway psychopaths
  • depends on the longterm member
  • too ambivalent to give an answer
Seems like a peurile exersize with nothing to be gained or learned.

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori and Skathon
D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
I'm sure there are also people who haven't registered an account, but have been lurking since pre 2020. It's all fine anyway, there's nothing wrong with that or being an older member of this forum.

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori and chloramine
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am interested in more answers.

Reactions: sserafim
4am

4am

there’s nothing for you (it/its)
Dec 14, 2023
i have no problem with them, i even feel bad for them, if their lives were bad enough that they came here years ago and they are still here means they're probably still suffering

actually recently read a thread "what are you plans for the year 2019" and thats what i felt when reading it because there were a lot of 2018 people still active here who said they wanted to die back then

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and sserafim
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
I feel sad for any member who has been here 4+ years or who has 1000+ messages. I am also afraid I may become one of them. I don't want this forum to become yet another thing I use to procrastinate on CTBing.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, LifeIsCrazyNemb, 4am and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm too ambivalent to give an answer

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and chaosdrifter
L

LifeIsCrazyNemb

Arcanist
Jan 21, 2024
I feel sad for any member who has been here 4+ years or who has 1000+ messages. I am also afraid I may become one of them. I don't want this forum to become yet another thing I use to procrastinate on CTBing.
Its really sad to see hundreads of members here just walking aimless, far away from CTBing and also far away from living a fullfilling life. I really dont want to be in this kind of purgatory situation so long.

i can relate your feelings. Im about to quit this forum as i can see that it become just another thing that im using to procrastinate CTBing. I have everything almost ready to CTB and im tired of procrastinating and postponing.

Nonetheless im very grateful for this comunity and its users, it helped hugely in my journey. Most of members here are very kind and and lovely i will miss them.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, LoiteringClouds, zengiraffe and 2 others
D

deathslament

Student
Mar 16, 2024
Its really sad to see hundreads of members here just walking aimless, far away from CTBing and also far away from living a fullfilling life.

Another one forcing someone to live beneath that fakeness.

Reactions: sserafim
chaosdrifter

chaosdrifter

Mar 20, 2024
I'm new here so I don't really get why people feel sorry for those who have high message scores? What does that mean/what's the conclusion that you're drawing? (sorry if that's obvious for everyone else)

T

Tiny Little Tree

-
Jan 25, 2021
Well I lurked a lot before I made an account. I even remember going on the subreddit. I guess it started because I was desperate for a good method. I'd say it's waned a lot since then...

The way I look at it, having done nothing wrong, you shouldn't feel bad about how you use the site.

I think the gripe the groups had, and what I'm specifically thinking of is the news articles, is long time members that just encourage new members to CTB. I at least somewhat agree that's pretty sus. Kind of related is I've definitely seen when like a new member's first and only post is something like "I need to CTB this week!" and someone just tells them to slow down and that person gets painted as a bad guy.

Reactions: limeoctave and LoiteringClouds