Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
Well you are conscious right now. Conscious of many things, surely.

Even in dreams you are conscious. Sometimes it seems you meld with the dream, or that you are the dream, other times it's as if you are witnessing it in third person, this can happen in the waking state, I suppose.

With psychedelics you can feel everything amplified, so what does that tell you of every day consciousness? Is it dumbed down?

With meditation (at least the initial stages), you let go of all the everyday objects of consciousness and make consciousness the main subject.

I don't think it's made by the brain to be honest like scientists believe.

Honestly if you're really interested, go try alternatives like psychs, meditation, maybe reiki.

Maybe everything is consciousness or conscious and we live in a big illusion of there being physical separate objects.

Considering everything is made of the same stuff, like atoms, that seems to be the case?

Reactions: divinemistress36 and 4everHeartBroken
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024

Which do you believe is most the plausible theory about conciousness?
Something like property dualism, but I wouldn't call it dualism, but rather non-reductive physicalism. Consciousness is an emergent phenomenon that is created by a functioning brain, but once it is created it can in turn influence back the physical brain. When the brain is destroyed I believe consciousness may exist for some seconds or minutes until dissipating, just like heat from a flame in a fireplace is still lingering a bit in a room after the flame is quenched. This belief makes me fear that even if someone blows his head off with a shotgun, he may still experience something for a minute or so, although nothing like a soul or spirit or something.

Thanks for sharing the picture overview of the different views.

• Love
Reactions: 4everHeartBroken
D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
Probably just an emergent property of our brains eventually evolving to have dealt with more practical and pressing and mundane problems of hundreds of thousands of years ago.

• Love
Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
I think it's behaviorism. A continual self reinforcing loop of sensations. That can usually leads to self awareness. For example plants can sense their environment but can't wonder why they're plants. I don't think there's anything special about consciousness because if I were to wack any of you hard enough in the head, I'm pretty sure your consciousness would stop. >:)

Reactions: 6o66yx and 4everHeartBroken
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Consciousness isn't a mystery. It's matter. Human conscious experience is wholly a matter of physical goings-on in the body and in particular the brain.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and 4everHeartBroken
4everHeartBroken

4everHeartBroken

Experienced
Feb 11, 2024
Something like property dualism, but I wouldn't call it dualism, but rather non-reductive physicalism. Consciousness is an emergent phenomenon that is created by a functioning brain, but once it is created it can in turn influence back the physical brain. When the brain is destroyed I believe consciousness may exist for some seconds or minutes until dissipating, just like heat from a flame in a fireplace is still lingering a bit in a room after the flame is quenched. This belief makes me fear that even if someone blows his head off with a shotgun, he may still experience something for a minute or so, although nothing like a soul or spirit or something.

Thanks for sharing the picture overview of the different views.
Thanks for your response. I agree, that consciousness can survive some seconds after the brain is destroyed. But what if you allow yourself to fall unconscious first (as in partial hanging), then allowed gravity to take its course AFTER falling unconscious FIRST? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
Consciousness = You.
You = Consciousness.

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
Thanks for your response. I agree, that consciousness can survive some seconds after the brain is destroyed. But what if you allow yourself to fall unconscious first (as in partial hanging), then allowed gravity to take its course AFTER falling unconscious FIRST? Your thoughts are appreciated!
Yeah, that's possible too, of course. Just like falling asleep puts a rest to consciousness temporarily. It all depends. But I do believe my concept explains things like some of those unexplainable near death experiences (not the regular ones), where brain scans seemed to show no activity, but the person came back reporting experiences, all without having to invoke concepts like immaterial souls as explanations.

• Love
4everHeartBroken

4everHeartBroken

Experienced
Feb 11, 2024
Yeah, that's possible too, of course. Just like falling asleep puts a rest to consciousness temporarily. It all depends. But I do believe my concept explains things like some of those unexplainable near death experiences (not the regular ones), where brain scans seemed to show no activity, but the person came back reporting experiences, all without having to invoke concepts like immaterial souls as explanations.
Yes! Great reference point too! That makes a lot of sense about the dying brain. I believe a natural death is a process and not just a "you're here and coherent and now you are dead" by the next second. Thank you for your insight! ❤️

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
Yes! Great reference point too! That makes a lot of sense about the dying brain. I believe a natural death is a process and not just a "you're here and coherent and now you are dead" by the next second. Thank you for your insight! ❤️
Yeah, good point. That explains also why death can take longer for some and why it's generally so horrible, and hard to induce ones own death, as well as how some can be "dead" and be resuscitated even hours later and still retain the memories from their life. But again, many jump to saying it proves "souls" and "spirits", but with "non-reductive physicalm/property dualism" it can be explained without. And paradoxically I say this as a Christian, lol, (because I'm one of the rare Christian physicalists who reject the idea that the biblical texts teach the tradition of substance dualism).

• Love
4everHeartBroken

4everHeartBroken

Experienced
Feb 11, 2024
Yeah, good point. That explains also why death can take longer for some and why it's generally so horrible, and hard to induce ones own death, as well as how some can be "dead" and be resuscitated even hours later and still retain the memories from their life. But again, many jump to saying it proves "souls" and "spirits", but with "non-reductive physicalm/property dualism" it can be explained without. And paradoxically I say this as a Christian, lol, (because I'm one of the rare Christian physicalists who reject the idea that the biblical texts teach the tradition of substance dualism).
Sounds right on… I love how you think! Very real.

• Love
Reactions: KillingPain267