bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
"A 30-year-old man visited the emergency department with complaint of numbness of the bilateral upper extremities. ...a week before, he attempted suicide by inhaling pure nitrogen gas with people he had met through an internet suicidal community, however, he did not present with any symptoms. His stated reason for attempting suicide was financial difficulty. He reported that five days prior to the emergency room visit, he attempted suicide again, on this occasion by inhaling nitrogen gas through a plastic bag. And after that he lost consciousness for a while. A few hours later, he recovered consciousness but awoke with symptoms of diplopia, headache and stiffness of both hands with slow progression over the course of the past three days. On hospital visiting day, he presented with complaint of numbness and cramping of both hands."

Also curious to know what the other "internet suicidal communities" are.

• Aww..
Reactions: death137, TimeToBiteTheDust, Drowning fish and 1 other person
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Probably either too much air getting into the bag, or CO2 he exhaled not getting out of bag, or not pure Nitrogen. Or not enough flow rate.

Can't see any other possibility really. But what do I know?

Reactions: Scarecrow, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and bov
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I can see SI causing a person to botch the set-up. The subconscious is so powerful.

Reactions: Scarecrow, CTisME and TheQ22
Lastsauce

Lastsauce

Experienced
Dec 22, 2019
I will lie down against some pillows under a blanket and tuck my hands underneath me.

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
You're not supposed to lie down, CO2 is heavier than nitrogen, you need to be sat up so the CO2 can in effect drop out of the bag as the nitrogen flows in.

If you lie down (unless you are using a scuba set up) then it almost certainly won't work.