Jayxtri

Jayxtri

Student
Mar 6, 2019
I have tried almost all of them. They seem to work initially and then after a while no effect. This is one of my main reason to ctb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilla, Superfluous, Lara Francis and 6 others
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
Antidepressants have saved my life almost. If it wasn't for my medicine I would fall apart pretty quick. Have you tried different classes of medications? And have you tried psychedelics? Psychedelics have saved some people from committing suicide giving them enough reason to live. Even micro-dosing psychedelics can be very powerful. Psychedelics specifically ketamine has shown to help people that are have drug resistant depression.

Reactions: Superfluous, Redt2go, Jc40 and 1 other person
justabouttobedone

justabouttobedone

No Longer Human
Feb 21, 2019
I have tried about 10 of them. They didn't work for me too so far. But I am gonna try some other meds, maybe I can find a good that works on me finally. Also, some of them are the reason why I am here.

Reactions: Lara Francis, Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
I'm on sertraline now and it happens what you say : you feel the change in the beggining.

Reactions: Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Jayxtri
Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
It's due to an SNRI that I'm ready to take the plunge.

Like I tell everyone else, medication is a last resort. Read the side effect profiles, research sites like surviving antidepressants for their take on the medication(s) your medics are prescribing and most of all be cognizant that psychiatry is a profession rooted in guesswork (there's no concrete testing or protocol outside of the flawed DSM-V) and depends upon one being defined as mentally ill so one can be "managed" (read: indefinitely pumped full of drugs.)

• Aww..
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Powderedmonster, Redt2go and 6 others
R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
None of them worked for me, in fact they all made me feel much worse

• Aww..
Reactions: Lilla, Powderedmonster, Redt2go and 3 others
Z

zadig777

naive fool
Sep 18, 2018
It's due to an SNRI that I'm ready to take the plunge.

Like I tell everyone else, medication is a last resort. Read the side effect profiles, research sites like surviving antidepressants for their take on the medication(s) your medics are prescribing and most of all be cognizant that psychiatry is a profession rooted in guesswork (there's no concrete testing or protocol outside of the flawed DSM-V) and depends upon one being defined as mentally ill so one can be "managed" (read: indefinitely pumped full of drugs.)
why didnt u read the side effects profile before u took them?

Reactions: Roberto and Redt2go
Chalken

Chalken

Decaying
Nov 20, 2018
They helped me with low energy and that's about it. My head is still an utter wreck, but I am able to function somewhat. Though still I have no motivation or desire to be productive, no reason to live. Perhaps they're not working at all, I dunno, I'm on my 4th or so antidepressant. Also drinking antipsychotics and anxiety medication. They don't do much either and they cost a crap ton.

Reactions: Redt2go and Strumgewehr
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I'm not convinced by psychiatry's dogma.

• Love
Reactions: Roberto, Redt2go, Strumgewehr and 3 others
F

Funkbunny

Student
Nov 18, 2018
Meh. They work to a degree. I once had a very short course of temazepam and it was bliss! Like the internal chatter just stopped. Shame they don't hand it out like sweets any more, I'd be at the front of the queue.

Reactions: Superfluous and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Boonks

Boonks

Lowlife
Mar 2, 2019
They're evil, they have destroyed me. Taking antidepressants was the biggest mistake of my life. I wouldn't be suicidal if I didn't take them. Yet I can't go off them because the withdrawal is terrifying and impossible for me.

• Aww..
Reactions: Powderedmonster, Redt2go, Nifi and 3 others
esclava

esclava

Professional fence sitter
Mar 15, 2019
I had terrible side effects from all of them. One doc I used to see would give me new meds to combat the old meds and it was an incapacitating blend

Reactions: Redt2go, Nifi and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I started low dose Effexor a few weeks ago for chronic pain. So far, no help in that regard, but I've been feeling much less anxious lately... can't say for sure what the cause is.

Reactions: Superfluous, Redt2go and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
N

Nifi

Mar 7, 2019
I'm here because of antidepressants, i wouldn't recommend it. I'm suffering from pssd, emotional numbing and cognition problems. It's like my whole personality is drugged away :(. I never had the urge to kms before taking these meds and i still want to live now, but not with this condition. I just can't call my own body 'myself' anymore and i don't want to accept this shit.

• Aww..
Reactions: ApproachingSilence, Powderedmonster, Pentobartbital and 4 others
R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
They're evil, they have destroyed me. Taking antidepressants was the biggest mistake of my life. I wouldn't be suicidal if I didn't take them. Yet I can't go off them because the withdrawal is terrifying and impossible for me.
Trying antidepressants it's not a mistake. It is something one must try if we are depressed. It doesn't change your life so much. I have left them in a hard way not following my doctors advise and I didn't have so much hard time.

True that it makes me a kind of suicidal (just sertraline, others didn't make any difference) , but for me, it's not something of the medication, it's something inside of me. It opened my eyes to my real desires and may be gave me energies to do it.

How old are you? which antidepressant are you with?

Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
I've been prescribed antidepressants twice in my life. The last time, the doctor tried 4 different types but none had the desired effect.

I remember reading somewhere that only 40% of people are successfully treated with the current crop of antidepressants (SSRIs). I also read that the medical profession are still not entirely sure what causes depression - serotonin levels in the brain is one current theory I believe, but not proven.

Recent studies suggest Ketamine may be successful in treating depression. The problem with this though is that it's a generic drug and so pharmaceutical companies can't make any money from it, so they won't invest in trials. No trials mean no FDA approval for use to treat depression.

Esketamine is the latest new drug to be FDA approved for treatment of depression but it's going to be expensive, even though it's essentially the same as Ketamine.

Reactions: DeepMind
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
A no go for me. Never will I put any of that garbage in my body.

Reactions: Pentobartbital, esclava, MistakesHappen and 2 others
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Ketamine???
Sign me up. Had the best trip ever when the hospital staff accidentally overdosed me on it in trauma ward

Reactions: Nifi
P

Psilo

Arcanist
Dec 29, 2018
Only good to throw in the bin.

Reactions: Pentobartbital
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
I should have put a disclaimer at the end of my last post.

I'm not a medical professional and was only posting information I've read about recent studies.

In no way am I suggesting that people suffering from depression attempt to procure ketamine used for recreational use.

Those studies that suggest that ketamine may be useful in helping people with depression will have been conducted in a controlled environment, used specific dosages at specific concentrations with specific delivery methods over a specific time period. I do not have any of this information, nor would I post it if I did.

Reactions: DeepMind
DeepMind

DeepMind

Mar 26, 2019
@Superfluous The disclaimer is well written but I'm not sure if it's needed in this forum. Many people recommend low dose ketamine on other forums.

Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
@DeepMind

we ought to still exercise caution in recommending any permutation of ketamine. Dissociatives can induce Olney's lesions (very small holes upon the brain) and the risk should be calculated into one's decision.

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and Superfluous
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018
It's the reason I am here too. Although I was also prescribed benzodiazepines at the time and they were handed out like candy then. I don't think that is the case now. I would just be very careful. Never start and stop them. I remember calling and telling the dr I didn't feel well and they said just stick it out. I wish I hadn't.

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can
_milo

_milo

Mar 16, 2019
For me personally, they only induce a kind of emotional numbness. However without them I become near catatonic. Currently on 225 mg of Effexor and it's all the same to my body anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Superfluous and Pentobartbital
AmbleNorth

AmbleNorth

Mar 28, 2019
When I'm on them, I can at least function. The emotional blunting sucks, though. Then again, most of my emotions are negative when I'm off of them. Don't have a better alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superfluous
P

Powderedmonster

Student
Mar 6, 2019
Me too. I'm suicidal due to SSRIs. The brutal brain damage, withdrawal agony, and post-SSRI anhedonia made me totally give up on the decent life I once had before I started antidepressants for social anxiety. Boy, if only I had known that that mistake would cost me my life..

• Aww..
Reactions: Lilla and Pentobartbital
uiop

uiop

Fun drugs make me happy
Mar 27, 2019
I'm on 150mg Zoloft daily. They seem to work. I like how the antidepressants numb my emotions, but consequently, I feel that I can no longer experience life. It's like I'm just a passive observer of myself. My life is a movie, and I'm an audience.

Reactions: Superfluous
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018
Me too. I'm suicidal due to SSRIs. The brutal brain damage, withdrawal agony, and post-SSRI anhedonia made me totally give up on the decent life I once had before I started antidepressants for social anxiety. Boy, if only I had known that that mistake would cost me my life..

I couldn't have said it better myself but with Benzos. You have no idea how sorry I am.

• Aww..
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and Powderedmonster