O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
So I decided I needed a hobby but having no interest in anything coupled with living in kind of a crap area for finding things to do/classes I thought I must just ask what others might be doing.

What are your hobbies? Was it a large barrier to entry? What might you be doing if you were more motivated?

Reactions: zeroambition, Notcutoutforlife, Sensei and 2 others
BumperCrop

BumperCrop

Feb 2, 2020
Reading is a wonderful hobby. The barrier to entry is non-existent (assuming you live near a library) and it nourishes the soul.

Another pastime of mine is writing. I believe that everyone should have an artistic outlet. Do you have any interest in art or music?

Reactions: Abused and Suicidal, dandan, Sensei and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I try to read. I've always done that, though sometimes its hard due to pain, exhaustion.
I used to enjoy gardening and cultivating local plants but had to give that up when I was forced out of my home.
I used to paint, but I had to be in the right mind-set for that and I have no materials now either.
Now I just play on the PC, though again, I'm not as competent as I used to be and can't really engage in team play without an understanding team.

Reactions: Sensei, Defcon5 and Thereisnothing
Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
I think its best to tell you what my hobbies/interests were, cos due to severe health and grief now I dont really undertake many.
Reading and writing my big loves.
Gardening/being outdoors/nature of all kinds/ecology/conservation.
Spiritual life, alternative lifestyle, green issues (for years before got the norm), Paganism, Spiritualism, other paths.
The sea and Coastline (my big love and in my heart and soul) makes me weep.
Human and Animal Rights, Third world help, medical help, all sorts of organisations.
Counselling/helping others.
Studying various topics and learning in general.
Charities.
Walking, swimming.
History and visiting new places.

Just a few things which used to do and were my life............so empty inside now and so very physically poorly that unable to do much to try and get by each day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, Susannah and Deleted member 1465
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Music, makeup, reading, photography, gaming, anime, graphic design, languages.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, StillWaiting and porfin1234
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Ive always been into outdoors/nature stuff.Fishing,hiking and metal detecting.I used to be into hunting too for most of my life,but I would rather observe or photograph wild animals now rather than shoot them.I enjoy researching local history then going to/exploring the actual sites.The last few years though I haven't been to active in hobbies.Depression/anxiety and lack of finances struggling with addiction will do that.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sensei, Susannah and nerve
WhiteDespair

WhiteDespair

The Temporary Problem is Life
Oct 24, 2019
I started playing Pokemon Sword.
I'm a poet.
I read stuff.
I am employed so that fills most of my day.

Reactions: Sensei and StillWaiting
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Having a creative hobby is sort of a big dream of mine. Like something to look forward to or make progress in or talk to people about or feel kind of proud of. Seems like life has different plans though!

I like watching documentaries on youtube. They're typically not like feature length 100-minute-long movies, which is good for when it's hard to focus, and if I find a video that holds my attention, YouTube will spend like 4 weeks recommending similar stuff lol. Medical things tend to grab at me the most, especially stories about people living with disabilities. Prison reform stuff too. I like hearing what these people have to say.

Reactions: Sensei and mesohappy
StillWaiting

StillWaiting

Need cats to comfort me
Jul 28, 2018
Came to see some suggestions.
I spent half of my life watching anime but wasn't able to pick up any skills from it.

Is there something you always want to try but have yet to try ?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Having a creative hobby is sort of a big dream of mine. Like something to look forward to or make progress in or talk to people about or feel kind of proud of. Seems like life has different plans though!

I like watching documentaries on youtube. They're typically not like feature length 100-minute-long movies, which is good for when it's hard to focus, and if I find a video that holds my attention, YouTube will spend like 4 weeks recommending similar stuff lol. Medical things tend to grab at me the most, especially stories about people living with disabilities. Prison reform stuff too. I like hearing what these people have to say.
Ive been watching a lot of documentaries on YouTube as well,mostly historical stuff and biographies for me though.

One interesting documentary I watched on there recently might be of interest to you as well.Its called "Dying Alone",about people who live and die alone and follows what happens after,to them, to there stuff,the hunt for ID/next of kin.It was pretty good.

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Amateur game design, mostly in the form of simple board games and tabletop RPGs. I may try my hand at a visual novel later, even if that isn't really a game per se.

Reactions: Sensei and StillWaiting
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I really don't have any hobbies or interests left, for years tho. I do things to either pass the time or because I have to/am forced to.

Reactions: Kassender, Notcutoutforlife and Meena
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
Music! Finding new special songs/ tunes makes me feel good. Music is therapy for me, and when I'm really down, I play "happy" songs, songs that make me wanna dance.

Boxing! The most fun training ever! Also very therapeutic.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Sensei
Lunaloveflood

Lunaloveflood

Dec 27, 2019
Gaming and singing! I love to sing so much but it kinda makes me feel sad knowing that I don't do my best to create a work out of it. I still have hope lol but I can't even play an instrument and I'm so bad at learning these days. Lol Idk why I'm mumbling about my life rn but if anyone want to write a song and need a singer pm me

Reactions: Susannah
S

SimpleFarmer

Feb 20, 2020
I didn't really enjoy it but for several years computer games were something I could focus on and lose myself in. The past few years I've switched over to reading but even that isn't really working out anymore.

SuicideBoys93

SuicideBoys93

I am the lord of loneliness.
Feb 10, 2020
On days I don't go to the gym, my wife can tell. I'm self taught, picked up reading materials on nutrition. It's really kept me immersed, and my mind somewhat quiet, well at least while I lift. This has been a major outlet for me in my life. I just said fuck it, I'm going to go, and fuck what anyone would think. What do I have to lose? My life. If you feel the urge for a new hobby just research. Pick what may interest you, and dive right into it!

Reactions: Susannah
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Oh I used to read all the time, a lot of science fiction and fantasy books.
I don't really have the headspace for it these days, I can only process a lot of narratives now if I'm in conversation with people about them...

I often find myself thinking this, 'I don't know what I like...'
But uh I recently started my first batch of homebrew wine, that's kind of exciting.
Got a really cheap gym membership and weight training has been motivating.
Oh, yeah music, sometimes I find albums that make writing about difficult things less triggering, or that make different kinds of movement feel more natural, stretching, dance, tai chi, whatever.

faust

faust

lost among the stars
Jan 26, 2020
Singing
Playing piano
Playing guitar
Writing
Composing
Hitchhiking
Digging
Roofing
Hiking
Stormchasing
Now I can only feel better when stormchasing because of severe anhedonia :/

Z

zeroambition

Recovered
Nov 3, 2019
Dirt track racing (Spectating)
Camping
Music

-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
I really don't have any hobbies or interests left, for years tho. I do things to either pass the time or because I have to/am forced to.
Ditto.

It's all gone.

I put on old TV shows to pass the time and for background noise. Maybe 1-2 movies per week. I browse Reddit and the news, getting increasingly disgusted with our government and the general way of our world. None of this is for enjoying it (though the odd thing does engage me), but to pass time between eating and sleeping during an otherwise excruciatingly slow waking day.

Reactions: Carrotcake and Kassender
Kassender

Kassender

Experienced
Aug 29, 2018
Yeah same here, i used to have a lot of artistic outlets, but nowadays, just thinking about them makes me anxious.

If i try working on anything, i get a panic attack. Im not exagerating.

I havent done anything in months.
Everyday is the same. Either i drink or recover from drinking.

1kev

1kev

Uncurable body odor/bad breath
Feb 25, 2020
I lift weights 6 days a week and play video games on my free time.

T

TheSuicidalEccentric

The universe is wonderful.
Feb 23, 2020
Trying to die is my hobby