Cepi

Cepi

It’s not a bad existence, just a bad life
May 12, 2023
At what age would be considered long enough to know if your life is worth living? They say with maturity your life persecptive changes but I'm curious to hear everyone's view on this site. I'm 23 and I'm wondering when I'll get used to dealing with this pain of mental illness and dealing with living in a society that doesn't quite understand people like us.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and Praestat_Mori
ipmanwc0

ipmanwc0

I'll wait for you ❤️
Sep 15, 2023
Depends but for people like me living with a disease that will never go away any age is old enough

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, Skathon, ClownCringe and 2 others
C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
I don't think there is an ideal age.
It depends mainly on your personal situation.

If I had access to reliable methods at the time, I would have been gone 10 years ago.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Aim, Clasrink, Skathon and 3 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I don't think CTB should be considered bc of reaching a certain age only. It's not the age itself it's the personal circumstances that may require CTB.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, voyager, アホペンギン and 1 other person
chuerdhmproton

chuerdhmproton

Mr. Water Pig
Sep 9, 2023
At what age would be considered long enough to know if your life is worth living? They say with maturity your life persecptive changes but I'm curious to hear everyone's view on this site. I'm 23 and I'm wondering when I'll get used to dealing with this pain of mental illness and dealing with living in a society that doesn't quite understand people like us.
This is purely my opinion, so feel free to disagree with me. I am 23 yo myself fyi.

Let's say the government establishes free and easily accessible CTB stations, and needs to set a age requirement. What should it be?
First off, I think it is agreeable to most folks that at least 18 years old should be required. Doing a quick google search reveals that scientists believe the brain does not stop fully developing until age 25, some scientists even argue for late 20s. So to be on the safe side, I suppose the age limit could be set to 25yo or even 30yo. Note once again, that in this scenario we are assuming that past this certain age, CTB becomes legal and free and easy to access. Thus I chose a higher age to compensate for that.

However, in the current reality we live in, due to the fact that CTB is discouraged and/or criminalized, I think anyone over the age 18 should have the freedom of choice to CTB. Feel free to disagree with me, I'd be happy to engage in a intellectual discussion. :)

Edit: Some additional thoughts. For myself, if CTB stations existed and age requirement was 25, I would be happy to suffer for 2 more years until I can legally get CTB assistance. Even if it was 30 yo, I might endure 7 more years. I find it very peaceful and comforting to imagine being able to CTB peacefully and surrounded by other people, and not having to worry about failure, sent to psych ward, or being criminalized.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim and Praestat_Mori
snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
Whichever age when you've been miserable for 2+ years imo
I don't think CTB should be considered bc of reaching a certain age only. It's not the age itself it's the personal circumstances that may require CTB.
Disagree, some people are victims of child abuse or sexual violence and trauma like that makes you suicidal and feel like shit for the rest of your life even if you get therapy and meds. I'm not even close to being okay with with much less more minor traumas even though I've gone to therapy for 1/3 of my life now.

Reactions: misthios2040
S

saddavyd

Sep 18, 2023
Well my son was 23 when he ctb by hanging. His twin brother was one of the people who found him.

Both boys had skin problems and mental health issues, from the age of 16. Both were serious. Life was hard for them.

My surviving son is now 29 and after a lot of pain, soul searching, care from family and treatment, he wants to live and is planning on going to university next year and hope to find a career is psychology.

Hopefully that's some kind of answer for you.

It's a coincidence how you joined the site on 12th May. My birthday.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Aim, Cepi, ClownWorld2023 and 2 others
BlazingBob

BlazingBob

I'm still here b/c of my dogs
Oct 28, 2021

Disagree, some people are victims of child abuse or sexual violence and trauma like that makes you suicidal and feel like shit for the rest of your life even if you get therapy and meds. I'm not even close to being okay with with much less more minor traumas even though I've gone to therapy for 1/3 of my life now.
That's a good point. Society tries to make us believe that anyone can recover from childhood trauma. Some can but not all. My brothers and I had a horrible violent upbringing. We're all screwed up and in our 50s. I've tried therapy, meds, support groups and too many other things to mention. None of it helped. Of course society likes to blame the victim by saying we haven't tried hard enough. Unfortunately for some it's life sentence for a crime they didn't commit. For a young person it might get better or it might not. I count among my biggest mistakes not ctb when I was 25. I came within inches. Had I gone through with it I would've saved myself a lot of pain and misery.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon and snowcloud9
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
20 for males <= CTB age <= (20 + Number of years I can tolerate chronic, untreatable, insufferable mental or physical ailment)

pidgey

pidgey

Aug 9, 2023
When there's no hope for the future. I have been suicidal since I was a teenager but I still had things to look forward to that I hoped would make my life better (college, jobs, relationships, etc) so I decided to stick around a bit longer. Now I can confidently say that there's nothing left.

• Hugs
Reactions: LonelyKitten, sserafim and snowcloud9
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023

I didn't say anything else:

it's the personal circumstances that may require CTB.

The only restriction I would make is 18+ for that decision.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my case I see it as being always preferable to cease existing as soon as possible, but what is ideal is never existing at all, only that is perfection, I believe the less time spent trapped in this cruel, futile and harmful existence that leads to nothing but decay and death anyway the better.

Existence was just unnecessary and wasn't something of any value in the first place, I don't see prolonging suffering as being something desirable. To me the ultimate problem will always lie in existence itself which only death can bring relief from, the thought of permanently ceasing to exist comforts me, for me suicide feels like the only rational thing to wish for as after all it's undeniable that existence just causes harm.

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Cepi, MDMA and 1 other person
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Whatever age you are when you know you need to go.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Clasrink, Cepi and 3 others
H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
When you realize how cruel this world is and how it doesn't get better.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Cepi, sserafim and 2 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Probably right now (23), or 25 at most. I think early adulthood is ideal as you don't have to enter the real world or deal with the mundaneness and boringness of adulthood and capitalist wageslavery. The thought of adulthood terrifies me, I'd hate to have to work for a living and do that for 40-60 years. I truly think that life as an adult is not worth living for me. I don't think that I would find it meaningful or fulfilling. I'd rather die now, and die young. I've always planned to go out before 25 maximum.

I'm neurodivergent (Asperger's/autism, ADHD, social anxiety) so I'm never gonna fit into society anyways. Why even try? I'd rather just die now. I don't want to have to participate in society

• Hugs
Reactions: conarc, Praestat_Mori, Deleted member 65988 and 2 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Mid-20's is a good general minimum but everyone's individual situation is different.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sserafim and Cepi
Cepi

Cepi

It’s not a bad existence, just a bad life
May 12, 2023
Well my son was 23 when he ctb by hanging. His twin brother was one of the people who found him.

Both boys had skin problems and mental health issues, from the age of 16. Both were serious. Life was hard for them.

My surviving son is now 29 and after a lot of pain, soul searching, care from family and treatment, he wants to live and is planning on going to university next year and hope to find a career is psychology.

Hopefully that's some kind of answer for you.

It's a coincidence how you joined the site on 12th May. My birthday.
I'm sorry for your loss, I hope your son is in peace now. I have skin problems too and it's one of the main reasons I want to ctb. I'm entering into a field of psychology too like your other son so that's an another coincidence. I hope you can heal from your pain one day.
Probably right now (23), or 25 at most. I think early adulthood is ideal as you don't have to enter the real world or deal with the mundaneness and boringness of adulthood and capitalist wageslavery. The thought of adulthood terrifies me, I'd hate to have to work for a living and do that for 40-60 years. I truly think that life as an adult is not worth living for me. I don't think that I would find it meaningful or fulfilling. I'd rather die now, and die young. I've always planned to go out before 25 maximum.

I'm neurodivergent (Asperger's/autism, ADHD, social anxiety) so I'm never gonna fit into society anyways. Why even try? I'd rather just die now. I don't want to have to participate in society
Same situation I have all your aliments as well and I don't see the long term plan of trying to sustain in a mind and body that doesn't meet society's criteria's to be successful. I want to go at minimum age of 32 since I'm a stubborn bastard and I want to help the situation of others so my life has some meaning.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sserafim and Clasrink
S

saddavyd

Sep 18, 2023
I'm sorry for your loss, I hope your son is in peace now. I have skin problems too and it's one of the main reasons I want to ctb. I'm entering into a field of psychology too like your other son so that's an another coincidence. I hope you can heal from your pain one day.

Thank you. psychology is such a worthwhile field to get into. There is so much scope for helping others. I hope this pans out for you.

My son's skin problems are coming under control now. Hopefully yours will too. I know how wearing it can be on the mind. It takes strength to manage.

I'm in a very bad patch at the moment. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my son and daughter. I want to ctb at the moment, but haven't been able to go through with it. I hope I make it only for their sake. They could do without more loss and trauma.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
This is purely my opinion, so feel free to disagree with me. I am 23 yo myself fyi.

Let's say the government establishes free and easily accessible CTB stations, and needs to set a age requirement. What should it be?
First off, I think it is agreeable to most folks that at least 18 years old should be required. Doing a quick google search reveals that scientists believe the brain does not stop fully developing until age 25, some scientists even argue for late 20s. So to be on the safe side, I suppose the age limit could be set to 25yo or even 30yo. Note once again, that in this scenario we are assuming that past this certain age, CTB becomes legal and free and easy to access. Thus I chose a higher age to compensate for that.

Here's an article that debunks the brain-finishes-developing-at-25 factoid.

Reactions: chuerdhmproton