• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Querry1

Querry1

life is unfair, ctb or get away
Aug 16, 2018
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know about medication called Wellbutrin and my experience with it.

I've been on it for about a month or so, previously I have used some SSRIs that only made me worse, like I have lost about 26kgs in about 4 months, in the last 2 I took meds, suicide thoughts were even worse, I couldn't leave my bed, basically I was a vegetable.

Then we switched to Wellbutrin with my psychiatrist, I have read that it can impact hearing etc., but if I have to choose between dying and hearing loss, for now I'd pick the second one. After about a week or so I started leaving my bed, had ANY energy to get out of the bed and try my best, I'm not motivated to do things, but I don't have any trouble doing basing chores or even cleaning. I also have found a remote work, so it's perfect. I have seasonal depression and I have been fighting with it for 10 years, and I think I have found my meds, until I decide to go on with my ctb plan.

PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
Glad you found a medication that is helping you! They started me on Wellbutrin in inpatient and I'm still on it. Honestly I've seen absolutely nothing from it. Best of luck and I hope you continue to feel better :)

A

ameliacecelia

Mar 11, 2022
Please get tested for the genetic mutation MTHFR. Whoever prescribes your medication will probably order it with no questions asked. MTHFR variants effect the serotonin cycle, neurotransmitter metabolism, methylation of B vitamins, and how you metabolize many medications (CYP receptors). Hypometabolism of antidepressants can exacerbate negative side effects, which may have been happening with you. When you get tested for MTHFR variants, the typically give you back a list of antidepressants, antipyschotics, anti-anxiety, adhd, and many other types of medications and what kind of metabolizer you are for each specific medication (and which enzyme is causing a problem for each drug you are not a regular metabolizer of. I'm very happy you've found something that works for you. Still, please look into getting the test done.

symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I'm so glad to hear you've been finally making progress! I can imagine how relieving that must feel, to see even a small shift towards the positive. I hope things continue in that direction for you.

Please get tested for the genetic mutation MTHFR. Whoever prescribes your medication will probably order it with no questions asked. MTHFR variants effect the serotonin cycle, neurotransmitter metabolism, methylation of B vitamins, and how you metabolize many medications (CYP receptors). Hypometabolism of antidepressants can exacerbate negative side effects, which may have been happening with you. When you get tested for MTHFR variants, the typically give you back a list of antidepressants, antipyschotics, anti-anxiety, adhd, and many other types of medications and what kind of metabolizer you are for each specific medication (and which enzyme is causing a problem for each drug you are not a regular metabolizer of. I'm very happy you've found something that works for you. Still, please look into getting the test done.
I concur - my understanding is failure to respond to many medications can often be a result of this MTHFR mutation. My first psychiatrist called it the "motherfucker gene". For what it's worth, I once did GeneSight testing, which detects the MTHFR mutation and further lists out several common medications and indicates on a genetic basis how likely you would respond well to them.

Reactions: ameliacecelia
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
It didn't do much for me other than keep me walking along. The initial dose was too much though and I just didn't care about anything, like paying bills. Halved the dose but it didn't stop the ideation or my general thoughts so after about 3 years I'm off it. Good luck to you and hope it works out.