CameronFrye

CameronFrye

There’s nothing there
Feb 20, 2022
Has anyone taken Wellbutrin (or the generic form Bupropion) and is willling to share their experience? After awful experiences with ssris my therapist prescribed me Wellbutrin because it has an entirely different effect on the brain. I'm skeptical of trying another antidepressant, but am going to give this one a try since it works differently.

• Hugs
Reactions: Isisnefert, WaitingForTheSun, demuic and 2 others
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
It gave me some energy during the day that's about it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Isisnefert, Celerity, NSA and 2 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
It was uplifting for me. SSRIs were detrimental to me as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Isisnefert, NSA, CameronFrye and 1 other person
fight_club

fight_club

Feb 15, 2022
I personally had a very neutral experience with wellbutrin. It gave me mild racing thoughts and crack-like energy with a reduced appetite for about a week, but after that I just settled back into feeling exactly the same as before. Not worse, not better. Granted, I was seeking treatment for anxiety, not depression.

I stayed on it for six months before giving up. It simply wasn't effective for me. I have found a combination of lexapro, lamictal, and klonopin to be my magic cocktail, but I have never been diagnosed with depression (I have BPD & panic disorder) so your mileage may vary!.

Reactions: Isisnefert and CameronFrye
A

ameliacecelia

Mar 11, 2022
Wellbutrin made me feel jittery and energetic for about a week or so then the side effects went away. It was not an effective antidepressant for me. I have MTHFR C677T so my serotonin cycle is messed up anyway. I highly recommend getting tested for that genetic mutation if you're not having success with antidepressants as it can also affect how you metabolize medications. After being diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, Spravato/ketamine was very effective. The best for me overall was microdosing psilocybin, which helped me overcome some pretty bad ptsd in a relatively short amount of time. Best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Shinobi213, NumbItAll, myopybyproxy and 2 others
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
I used it for about a year for depression and I suppose it did its job. It helped me get through therapy. Hated how dehydrated it made me feel though. I would have to drink and pee at least twice as much as usual.

Reactions: Celerity and CameronFrye
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
For me, it made sleeping really hard at night. Gave me too much energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Crazy4u and CameronFrye
ultrafuntimes

ultrafuntimes

it's funny...
Jan 16, 2022
It's the only antidepressant I don't hate. All of the others I've been on either made no noticeable change or would randomly stop working after a few weeks.

Reactions: Celerity, Foresight and CameronFrye
NSA

NSA

Your friendly neighborhood agent
Feb 21, 2022
Welbutrin is a non-amphetamine treatment for ADHD as well, hense it's difference to other antidepressants. Worth a shot, I think. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Reactions: Celerity and CameronFrye
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
It only gave me side effects, no improvements. My legs and arms would shake uncontrollably, my mouth and throat would be very dry, I would sweat a lot, urinate more, my heart would randomly start beating fast, I think it also made me sleep for half the day and I had vivid dreams.

Luckily none of it except maybe one thing was completely permanent. I think I got almost every side effect there is from it.

Reactions: CameronFrye
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
Wellbutrin made me feel jittery and energetic for about a week or so then the side effects went away. It was not an effective antidepressant for me. I have MTHFR C677T so my serotonin cycle is messed up anyway. I highly recommend getting tested for that genetic mutation if you're not having success with antidepressants as it can also affect how you metabolize medications. After being diagnosed with treatment resistant depression, Spravato/ketamine was very effective. The best for me overall was microdosing psilocybin, which helped me overcome some pretty bad ptsd in a relatively short amount of time. Best of luck!
MTHFR mutant gang!

A

ameliacecelia

Mar 11, 2022
MTHFR mutant gang!
Yes. Especially considering how prevalent it's estimated to be (approximately 25% of the population), I wish it was more common knowledge. I wish testing for this gene was a pre-requisite to medication. I'm sure many people could be helped by simply supplementing with L-Methylfolate. I'm a hyper metabolizer of Lexapro and a hypo metabolizer of Celexa. I was on the two for about a decade. Have you tried L-Methylfolate and if so, did it help you?

Reactions: myopybyproxy
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
Yes. Especially considering how prevalent it's estimated to be (approximately 25% of the population), I wish it was more common knowledge. I wish testing for this gene was a pre-requisite to medication. I'm sure many people could be helped by simply supplementing with L-Methylfolate. I'm a hyper metabolizer of Lexapro and a hypo metabolizer of Celexa. I was on the two for about a decade. Have you tried L-Methylfolate and if so, did it help you?
Never knew the rates were that high, wow. Genetic testing ought to be a prerequisite for many medical procedures or lifestyle decisions - everyone will react differently. Some may have permanent epigenetic changes (Type 1 diabetes, coeliac) induced as a result that could easily have been avoided had they tested first.

Have you come off the two by now? How did they affect you?

I'm an intermediate (ie hypo) metaboliser on all substrates mediated by CYP2D6. Tried all sorts of vitamin and mineral supplements - including methylfolate, folinic acid (NOT folic acid), and methylcobalamin - but have never noticed much change as a result. Although it could be that I didn't take them for long enough - I tend to muddle through a month at most before giving up on them, or take them sporadically. Almost all my experiences with drugs (OTC, prescribed, and illicit) have been either negative or neutral. The only thing I've noticed to ever have a positive effect on me was low dose meth (street Adderall that I tested) but that isn't financially sustainable nor do I want to be on a stimulant full time - I only used it pro re nata.

A

ameliacecelia

Mar 11, 2022
All of that is super interesting, thank you for sharing! Methylcobalamin injections helped quite a bit but that's not financially feasible either. I'm not on any antidepressants anymore. I had a period of uncontrolled movements that I thought was related to my other neurological symptoms but now I believe it may have been related to the long-term use of Celexa, Lexapro, and Wellbutrin. Tardive dyskinesia used to be only associated with antipsychotics but that as well as tardive akasthesia are now being linked to long-term use of SSRIs and SNRIs. I'm glad I'm not experiencing that anymore because it was very painful. After microdosing psilocybin, I don't feel like I have the same type of depression that I had for most of my life. However, the neurological illness has caused a different kind if depression. I don't think I'm going to be around long enough to get a muscle biopsy that was going to confirm if I have mitochondrial dysfunction. If that is a problem for me, I have a strong suspicion that it was initiated by taking a fluoroquinolone antibiotic Ciprofloxacin for a UTI (but urinalysis showed no presence of bacteria). There is 1 study currently being conducted about biomarkers related to fluoroquinolone toxicity. This class of drugs have already been linked to iatrogenic induced mitochondrial dysfunction, but they don't know why. I now have a sensitivity to B6 that people with both fluoroquinolone reactions and mitochondrial dysfunction have. Mine just presents as a rash and I find the entire B6 issue to be very bizarre. I hope they found out what causes reactions FQs so it stops happening to people. There's still the possibility that I have MS but I'm not waiting around for the spinal MRI either.

• Love
Reactions: Alex Fermentopathy, Shinobi213, Per Ardua Ad Astra and 1 other person
Eternity

Eternity

Apr 24, 2020
This kind works differently indeed and it depends if it's helpful or not. Some people experience more energy and feel less depressed. You can always try and see how it works for you.

For me, this type of antidepressant was pure horror. Due to my ADHD/depression my psych thought this one might help me.
After the first week I became so suicidal, which led to a trip to the ward. I wanted to quit the Wellbrutin immediately, but my psych convinced me to
give it a chance for at least 6-8 weeks. In week 4-6 I developed severe panic attacks with heavy shaking and I got difficulties controlling my impulses/anger. At week 6 I decided to stop taking the Wellbrutin. Now, months later, I still struggle with severe panic attacks. Other side effects disappeared. I'll never take Wellbrutin again honestly.

T

themanwithoutaplan

Dec 10, 2021
It only gave me side effects, no improvements. My legs and arms would shake uncontrollably, my mouth and throat would be very dry, I would sweat a lot, urinate more, my heart would randomly start beating fast, I think it also made me sleep for half the day and I had vivid dreams.

Luckily none of it except maybe one thing was completely permanent. I think I got almost every side effect there is from it.
What was the permanent side effect?
Has anyone taken Wellbutrin (or the generic form Bupropion) and is willling to share their experience? After awful experiences with ssris my therapist prescribed me Wellbutrin because it has an entirely different effect on the brain. I'm skeptical of trying another antidepressant, but am going to give this one a try since it works differently.
It stabilized my mood slightly but I got constant and very irritating tinnitus from it. Still taking it but debating quitting.

Reactions: Foresight
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Made me more energetic and horny for a few months but then lost effectiveness, so they bumped my dose. I was taking the 300 mg XL by the end.

It's an OK drug and has its place as a short-term pick-me-up, maybe a year max. As with most other psychiatric drugs, it is far from a long-term solution though.

If you drink alcohol, be very careful not to stack too much with Bupropion. You can trigger a seizure.

J

JayLa16

Jul 20, 2022
I've tried it a few times. Each time I would feel better and more energetic for a few days but then end up with increased anxiety/racing thoughts.

Reactions: Celerity
Lauriso

Lauriso

Jul 26, 2022
I tried it for two months and it did absolutely nothing.

WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun

Blue Boy
Jul 26, 2022
It worked for me in combination with Mirtazapine for a while but the benefit of being less sleepy and hungry (from Mirtazapine), are canceled by the Welbutrin causing anger and eventually rage after some years.
It worked for me in combination with Mirtazapine for a while but the benefit of being less sleepy and hungry (from Mirtazapine), are canceled by the Welbutrin causing anger and eventually rage after some years.
I did increase the Mirtazapine which has helped a little. If being sleepy and hungry aren't a problem, try Mirtazapine alone.

Amnesiaisalloverme

Amnesiaisalloverme

My previous name here was 249___nnn
Oct 4, 2022
Whats MTHFR C677T

S

Shinobi213

Jan 27, 2024
All of that is super interesting, thank you for sharing! Methylcobalamin injections helped quite a bit but that's not financially feasible either. I'm not on any antidepressants anymore. I had a period of uncontrolled movements that I thought was related to my other neurological symptoms but now I believe it may have been related to the long-term use of Celexa, Lexapro, and Wellbutrin. Tardive dyskinesia used to be only associated with antipsychotics but that as well as tardive akasthesia are now being linked to long-term use of SSRIs and SNRIs. I'm glad I'm not experiencing that anymore because it was very painful. After microdosing psilocybin, I don't feel like I have the same type of depression that I had for most of my life. However, the neurological illness has caused a different kind if depression. I don't think I'm going to be around long enough to get a muscle biopsy that was going to confirm if I have mitochondrial dysfunction. If that is a problem for me, I have a strong suspicion that it was initiated by taking a fluoroquinolone antibiotic Ciprofloxacin for a UTI (but urinalysis showed no presence of bacteria). There is 1 study currently being conducted about biomarkers related to fluoroquinolone toxicity. This class of drugs have already been linked to iatrogenic induced mitochondrial dysfunction, but they don't know why. I now have a sensitivity to B6 that people with both fluoroquinolone reactions and mitochondrial dysfunction have. Mine just presents as a rash and I find the entire B6 issue to be very bizarre. I hope they found out what causes reactions FQs so it stops happening to people. There's still the possibility that I have MS but I'm not waiting around for the spinal MRI either.
I also had Ciprofloxacin Toxicity and developed a sensitivity to b6. So bizarre how that happens. My body and mind has been destroyed by cipro