Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Has anyone on here read or watched Welcome To The N.H.K.?

It is a Japanese novel from the early 2000s that was also adapted into a manga and anime.

The story is about a hikikomori in 2000s era Japan named Tatsurio Sato.

Anime Cover

Reactions: D1byRam3n, haibane, rileywatson and 4 others
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Bumping the thread.

• Love
Reactions: bebebeep and Mafaalu
anhedonicNfoggy

anhedonicNfoggy

i don’t know
Aug 7, 2023
Yup I read it! I kinda read the webnovel with the intention that it could be a self-help book and sato would eventually figure things out. But sadly but realistically the girl with the parasol didn't have it together herself and couldn't really help sato. The ending is too open-ended. I'm confused why neighbor is suddenly happily married when he hates women. I also doubt sato and that girl would actually love each other and I feel that in the future, both will still want to die

Reactions: Hikikomori1
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I'm confused why neighbor is suddenly happily married when he hates women.

Because his family wanted him to be married and i think for many guys who hate women they do not actually hate women they are just lonely.

Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
Watched the anime recently and I find the constant theme of schadenfreude unsettling.

Last edited:
Mafaalu

Mafaalu

Konbanwa~
Oct 4, 2023
Watched the anime a long time ago, I remember this one being having great comedy and having dark elements aswell - overall I liked it as far as I remember but it left me with a bitter taste.
It has great music though, thanks for bringing me back to that opening.

• Love
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Watched the anime recently and I find the constant theme of schadenfreude unsettling.

Why?
Watched the anime a long time ago, I remember this one being having great comedy and having dark elements aswell - overall I liked it as far as I remember but it left me with a bitter taste.
It has great music though, thanks for bringing me back to that opening.

I agree i love the music.

I will leave this here if anyone wants to listen to it.

Last edited:
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
It was the whole main plot with Misaki. She was looking for someone who's inferior than her to use him in order to feel better about herself. It was brought up several times throughout the series, and she even taught him to do the same, to see everyone as inferior than him to feel confident. Also Tatsuhiro believed (the conspiracy monsters told him) that hikikomori existed only to serve as a vessel arguably for schadenfreude to whoever is working, they can laugh at NEETs like us and feel better about their own miserable lives.

Reactions: real human being, sserafim and Hikikomori1
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
It was the whole main plot with Misaki. She was looking for someone who's inferior than her to use him in order to feel better about herself. It was brought up several times throughout the series, and she even taught him to do the same, to see everyone as inferior than him to feel confident. Also Tatsuhiro believed (the conspiracy monsters told him) that hikikomori existed only to serve as a vessel arguably for schadenfreude to whoever is working, they can laugh at NEETs like us and feel better about their own miserable lives.

I posted a reading of the book it is a better story i recommend it.

Reactions: loopdaloop
L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
Let me know how it was.

I love the original book.
It's a really well written book. I enjoyed this version of the story quite a lot even though it had a much more serious tone. Welcome To The N.H.K is truly a masterpiece story that explores accurately the hikikomori phenomenon

• Love
W

Whistea

Jul 29, 2022
Yeah, I watched the anime, read the manga and read the novel twice.
Novel>Anime>Manga in my opinion, I pretty much never read the same book twice, but this one was so good, conpact and sadly relatable that I couldn't help myself.

• Love
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Yeah, I watched the anime, read the manga and read the novel twice.
Novel>Anime>Manga in my opinion, I pretty much never read the same book twice, but this one was so good, conpact and sadly relatable that I couldn't help myself.

Same i have listened to the audiobook of the novel more than once.

I can not track down a physical copy of the English version of the book because it has gone up in price and is out of print.

D1byRam3n

D1byRam3n

Trying to escape from cruel reality
Nov 14, 2023
I watch that anime its really good! I like the mc friends! He is a good guy but sadly he had not have any luck in romance...

neverknowsbest0

neverknowsbest0

Überm sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet.
Nov 5, 2023
Yeah, watched recently, really loved it. Love that i can relate to the mc, cuz i am a miserable looser just like him. Also the music is fucking awesome

• Love
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
Yeah, watched recently, really loved it. Love that i can relate to the mc, cuz i am a miserable looser just like him. Also the music is fucking awesome

I recommend the original book.

• Love
Reactions: neverknowsbest0
D

Dida

Apr 15, 2019
I watched this show twice with my best friend of mine who ended his life in 2019. I don't think it's possible for me to rewatch it.

• Aww..
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
I watched this show twice with my best friend of mine who ended his life in 2019. I don't think it's possible for me to rewatch it.

I am so sorry to hear that.

C

CPY

Student
Oct 30, 2023
I watched this countless times.For me it has become a source of infinite relatable quotes and speeches.
From the all-encompassing conspiracy to the evil god and the kind of bittersweet ending everything is just so relatable to me

And the soundtrack... don't even get me started on on it

On the other end however when I watched it the first time i did go into it with the "literally me" mindset not knowing the tragedy that this kind of life actually entails and that this would go on to be my future just 6 years after

I now am the same age as Satou, the main character and in a way I feel compelled to make a decision to change my life or ultimately put a closure to it once and for all

Oh and Misaki never came of course...

• Love