• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

dopaminenthusiast

dopaminenthusiast

May 4, 2024
What are your ways to regulate your emotions? When i feel bad or have negative thoughts, the first thing i think of is to hurt myself, but that's a mess and i don't want to be caught of so i usually just sleep or eat until i feel better. i could also drink my thoughts away but i'm a broke studient and alcohol in my country it too expensive lol. I think everything was easier when i was on antidepressants and high on benzos, now that i stopped taking them i find it hard to cope with anxiety and anger, so i try to shut my brain off
anyways that is what works for me, i'd like to read what works for you

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
I use high intensity exercise - something like hill or stair sprints to tire myself out. Run up, walk back down, repeat as necessary. Channel all my emotion into forcing my legs to propel me up to the top until things calm down or I physically can't go again.

Often I probably over do the exercise but equally its the lesser of the many 'harms' that I'd try if I stayed in the house. Be interested to hear if anyone else has any other suggestions that minimise physical damage as a 'side effect' of calming down.

Reactions: glitteryaliens and dopaminenthusiast
arnxxx

arnxxx

Experienced
Mar 8, 2024
You shouldn't drink or do drugs because those aren't helpful in the long run.

I do meditate for 20 minutes. There are many guided meditations on YouTube. Or i go for a walk, also 20 min or so.

Reactions: howlercoaster and dopaminenthusiast
dopaminenthusiast

dopaminenthusiast

May 4, 2024
I use high intensity exercise - something like hill or stair sprints to tire myself out. Run up, walk back down, repeat as necessary. Channel all my emotion into forcing my legs to propel me up to the top until things calm down or I physically can't go again.

Often I probably over do the exercise but equally its the lesser of the many 'harms' that I'd try if I stayed in the house. Be interested to hear if anyone else has any other suggestions that minimise physical damage as a 'side effect' of calming down.
thank you, I'll try some exercise routines or go for a walk if i can, i hope it helps

lost_ange2211

lost_ange2211

An angel who wants to go home..
May 29, 2024
I think exercising could work too, at least for anger and anxiety but I usually can't find the strength to do it. Maybe try going into the woods and scream or shout or put on some loud music and then scream to it (depends on your living situation).

For sadness, lonliness,.. I would advise you to cry and let that emotion space to be, if you can do it. Crying is a natural way to regulate emotions itself.

Reactions: dopaminenthusiast
Ash

Ash

Enlightened
Oct 4, 2021
Opposite action can help, too.

So if you're frustrated, do something calming; if you're apathetic, do something that requires high energy or attention to detail; if you're unjustifiably sad or grumpy, do something positive for yourself or someone else.

It can work also physically if you're struggling to identify your emotions. If you're hot, have a cold drink or get some fresh air; if you're cold, do something active to warm you up (housework, exercise etc); if you want to scratch your skin, apply soothing lotion or moisturiser or maybe go the whole hog and have a shower/bath first.

howlercoaster

howlercoaster

May 27, 2024
You shouldn't drink or do drugs because those aren't helpful in the long run.

I do meditate for 20 minutes. There are many guided meditations on YouTube. Or i go for a walk, also 20 min or so.
I once did a guided meditation and was amazing, didnt more later but i recommend for everyone to try.
What are your ways to regulate your emotions? When i feel bad or have negative thoughts, the first thing i think of is to hurt myself, but that's a mess and i don't want to be caught of so i usually just sleep or eat until i feel better. i could also drink my thoughts away but i'm a broke studient and alcohol in my country it too expensive lol. I think everything was easier when i was on antidepressants and high on benzos, now that i stopped taking them i find it hard to cope with anxiety and anger, so i try to shut my brain off
anyways that is what works for me, i'd like to read what works for you
Calisthenic exercise, journaling (but recently my journals have been just me exhaling negative thoughts and wanting to die) and hanging out, which havent been so good as before.
Depending on your state you can try reading a book or watching a movie youve always wanted to watch, these help flowing the ideas in your head.

Last edited:
Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
My biggest advice is that when youre feeling any negative emotions, talk to yourself like a kid, like a gentle parent. Retrace your steps to see how youve gotten this way, so you can ask yourself things like, How do you feel right now? How bad is it on a scale of 1–10? Can it be fixed? and take steps to cheer yourself up with things you love; for example, if you had a fight with someone and it ruined your mood, maybe going for a walk and getting a treat is a good idea. I also recommend writing it down. I personally write down how I feel if its too intense, and it helps a lot! Good luck <3