• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
Hey guys, just wondering if you could recommend good visual novels to read! I love mystery, horror, and slice-of-life VNs. I also enjoy utsuge/nakige, otome, and hybrid VNs (VNs with RPG/puzzle aspects). I've read Umineko, Raging Loop, Kara no Shojo, Doki Doki Literature, Analogue: A Hate Story, Hate Plus, the Danganronpa series, and the Phoenix Wright series. I loved them all!

There's a Steam sale now and I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas?

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
If you like Phoenix Wright then Time Hollow was a good one. I played it when I was in the mental health ward wishing, hoping but alas that was ten years ago

Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
I thought The Park was pretty neat.
Thanks! I just tried looking it up but couldn't really find information on a VN called "The Park." Could you tell me what it's about?
If you like Phoenix Wright then Time Hollow was a good one. I played it when I was in the mental health ward wishing, hoping but alas that was ten years ago
I appreciate this! I just checked Time Hollow out and it looks good! I will see if I can play it on a DS emulator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr2005
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
Thanks! I just tried looking it up but couldn't really find information on a VN called "The Park." Could you tell me what it's about?

I appreciate this! I just checked Time Hollow out and it looks good! I will see if I can play it on a DS emulator.
Yeah, of course. It's a horror game about a woman whose child runs back into an amusement park as it's closing. The game follows her searching for him.

• Love
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
Higurashi was written by the author of Umineko and it's also a horror & mystery VN. Often on sale on Steam too!

You and Me and Her: A Love Story is a very popular and long anticipated one that was localised recently; it's best to go into it blind but I will say it's similar to one of the VNs you listed!

The Professor Layton series is a hybrid of VN/puzzle. there's even a crossover with Phoenix Wright! it isn't necessary to play the other games before that one, so you can try it first to see how you like the puzzle aspect. there's a 3DS emulator called Citra that worked well for me despite having a lower end laptop. feel free to PM me if you need help with it!

honorary mentions: Your Turn to Die (similar to Danganronpa, free game, but the last chapter isn't out yet) and Death Mark (horror mystery, it's good but the length doesn't warrant the price, best to get it on a big sale)

I really love VNs so I hope you find these recommendations fitting :-) have fun!

Last edited:
Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
Higurashi was written by the author of Umineko and it's also a horror & mystery VN. Often on sale on Steam too!

You and Me and Her: A Love Story is a very popular and long anticipated one that was localised recently; it's best to go into it blind but I will say it's similar to one of the VNs you listed!

The Professor Layton series is a hybrid of VN/puzzle. there's even a crossover with Phoenix Wright! it isn't necessary to play the other games before that one, so you can try it first to see how you like the puzzle aspect. there's a 3DS emulator called Citra that worked well for me despite having a lower end laptop. feel free to PM me if you need help with it!

honorary mentions: Your Turn to Die (similar to Danganronpa, free game, but the last chapter isn't out yet) and Death Mark (horror mystery, it's good but the length doesn't warrant the price, best to get it on a big sale)

I really love VNs so I hope you find these recommendations fitting :-) have fun!
Hey there, I love those recs! I've heard about Higurashi often but never got around to it, but I'll definitely check it out soon! Can't wait to read You, Me, and Her---I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I have actually played a couple of Professor Layton games on a DS emulator and I enjoyed them! I need to finish the rest of the series....I also loved the Layton Brothers Mystery Room spin-off game on iOS/Android!

Your Turn to Die...that's seriously a great suggestion! I played the first chapter but kinda got sidetracked, but it definitely gives off Danganronpa/Zero Escape vibes. Amazing how this game is still free! Death Mark....I haven't heard of it before but will check it out ASAP!

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts
catsarecool

catsarecool

Remember me for me, I need to set my spirit free
Jul 2, 2020
if you're okay with BL/Yaoi, I would definitely recommend Hashihime of the old book town. It's a kind of a psychedelic horror mystery with romance mixed in.

• Love
Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
if you're okay with BL/Yaoi, I would definitely recommend Hashihime of the old book town. It's a kind of a psychedelic horror mystery with romance mixed in.
Ooh I just looked it up and it seems super intriguing! A murder-mystery set in the Taisho era...how simply delightful! :heart:Thank you for this

Reactions: catsarecool
Enabran255

Enabran255

Numbed
Oct 2, 2019
I see most of my favorites you've already played. Someone else already mentioned Higurashi which is one of my favorite animes (but I haven't been able to play the VN). I found Clannad was a good slice of life anime, it also has a VN. The steins gate VN was very good. There's a VN trilogy called 999/virtue's last reward/zero time dilemma that I found interesting too.

A long time ago one of the first VNs I played was called Shira Oka Second chances, made by a small indie team. It was rough around the edges in many ways but some of the routes were interesting.

Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
"Blackgate" (though, it is discontinued).
Thank you for this! I just looked it up and the concept is certainly interesting to say the least! Too bad the devs seem to have abandoned it.
I see most of my favorites you've already played. Someone else already mentioned Higurashi which is one of my favorite animes (but I haven't been able to play the VN). I found Clannad was a good slice of life anime, it also has a VN. The steins gate VN was very good. There's a VN trilogy called 999/virtue's last reward/zero time dilemma that I found interesting too.

A long time ago one of the first VNs I played was called Shira Oka Second chances, made by a small indie team. It was rough around the edges in many ways but some of the routes were interesting.
Thank you! :smiling: I just downloaded the Higurashi VN (I've heard many good things about it) and I can't wait to read it! I'm playing Clannad right now and it is so tenderly touching. I have played the Zero Escape trilogy and I totally loved it, especially the first 2 games. Zero III is one of my absolute favorite video game characters ever! Who knew that such a cutesy-looking rabbit could radiate pure evil? :heart:

I did try to play the Steins' Gate VN a couple of years ago but couldn't really get into it for some reason (despite it being highly acclaimed), but I'll give it another whirl for sure! Maybe this time I'll have a different opinion. Second Chances....sounds interesting! I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon