snipinground

snipinground

Nov 23, 2019
i've been dealing with mental illness for a long ass time, i started getting some more intense therapy a while ago and although i did have to stop because i moved across the country. (waiting for insurance, yay :/) the diagnosis' the psychiatrist gave me are so vague its kind of giving me troubles. the place i went to was very flooded, the center took in addicts, children and anyone mentally ill. almost felt like they were shoving 'undesirables' into one whole system and hoping it'd all work out. they refused to accept an old c-ptsd diagnosis i was given before (i fully think i still have it), hereditary things like one whole side of my family including my older sibling all having bipolar and really wanted to brush all my psychotic symptoms away. in the end i walked away with "Unspecified Depressive Disorder with psychotic Features" and "Unspecified Anxiety Disorder"

so now what? they made me the 'emergency chart' of things i should do but those are all distractions. i feel like i cant find the right coping methods or resources that can help me when i have terms that basically feel like putting a sheet over something broken until you know how to fix it? does anyone else have things like this they deal with or have been in a situation like this before?

• Hugs
Reactions: Final Escape, Quinlor and Moonicide
Sdj

Sdj

In this life like weeds, you're a rock to me
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I'm all over this shit, not mental but neurological. I've been "accused" of having everything from MS to lyme disease to heavy metal poisoning to being overworked. I spent 11k to visit a Swiss doctor and he prescribed me exercise. No joke!

It's part of the medical system, my friend. They dont know Jack shit about the brain yet so everyone is making it up as they go. So sorry to hear you're suffering the system as well as the symptoms.

Reactions: Final Escape, Null84 and snipinground
OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
i've been dealing with mental illness for a long ass time, i started getting some more intense therapy a while ago and although i did have to stop because i moved across the country. (waiting for insurance, yay :/) the diagnosis' the psychiatrist gave me are so vague its kind of giving me troubles. the place i went to was very flooded, the center took in addicts, children and anyone mentally ill. almost felt like they were shoving 'undesirables' into one whole system and hoping it'd all work out. they refused to accept an old c-ptsd diagnosis i was given before (i fully think i still have it), hereditary things like one whole side of my family including my older sibling all having bipolar and really wanted to brush all my psychotic symptoms away. in the end i walked away with "Unspecified Depressive Disorder with psychotic Features" and "Unspecified Anxiety Disorder"

so now what? they made me the 'emergency chart' of things i should do but those are all distractions. i feel like i cant find the right coping methods or resources that can help me when i have terms that basically feel like putting a sheet over something broken until you know how to fix it? does anyone else have things like this they deal with or have been in a situation like this before?

All of the labels are a bunch of bullshit meant to make money. Nobody here has any kind of illness or disease. I am highly against the way the "mental health" field works and they dehumanize everyone by the labels that they use. Everyone on this forum has normal behaviors and emotions that are products of adversity/trauma, but their field has the audacity to claim people are the way they are because of some "biological" illness which isn't true. People in their line of work don't have any special insight into the human mind and they know even less about real suffering. Their answers to your problems border on things that are proven not to work like CBT to worthless coping mechanisms like mindfulness that don't tackle the root of your problems, they just ignore them. It's mostly the blind leading the blind and many of them are far too privileged to offer you any kind of real help.

Here are some insightful posts I've saved from Reddit about the mental health field:

From my experience everything these people do is offer you a coping mechanism to deal with life.
They don't have the answers, they're not even allowed to give you their opinion (at least over here). All they do is ask you questions:
  • What do you want out of life? (Plot twist: not everyone has a choice to do what he wants in this life.)
  • How does that make you feel?
  • What are things you can do to make it a bit less difficult / more easy.
  • "Take it easy and take good care of yourself. You're worth it."
  • Etc.
Over here a session of an hour is about € 90. Government help takes a couple of months to even years before you can get free 'support'.
I quit going to these people, as I know that they 'just' help you to deal with life. The street poets from Brooklyn tell you what life really is; a struggle from the womb to the tomb.

Yes, most therapists must receive post-graduate education and certification. The education they receive is functionally like that of a priest; e.g. they are taught to view things through a very particular scope - whereas the priest is taught the lens of their particular religion, the therapist-to-be is taught the lens of contemporary psychology and its endless pathologies. Therapy in-and-of itself, is like a confessional in a church, the therapist is the priest and the patient the confessor. The patient confesses their worries and problems much like a would-be blasphemer would confess their "sins".

The sad thing is, "just put your head in the sand" is probably a pretty common response to the OPs concerns not only at mental health resources across the world, but from peers and colleagues; the patient lives in a world where being open about such things in the dehumanized, hyperindividualized public sphere typically only invites scrutiny and further alienation (likely from individuals who are just as alienated and scared as them), which increases their reliance on the therapist as much as it increases their sense of cognitive dissonance, as though they are caught between two realities in a depersonalized limbo. Of course, there's only the one reality as far as we know, but to this patient their inner world has become an enigma and its workings thoroughly mystified by an industry that portends one must go through many years of schooling and certification before they can make sense of the human mind; which is as absurd and circular claim to make as "God works in mysterious ways." - as if that explains why your toaster catching on fire this morning and the delay that caused made you miss your train commute derailing, killing everyone on board. Likewise, it is just as circular to tell someone they have a disease called "depression", which can only be treated by "trained professionals" - trained, of course, in "psychology", an invention of the human mind as much as the phrase "mental illness" with all it's implicit meanings. But the backbone of the entire practice is to be a truthclaim, much like any religion - they suppose "mental illness" to be as sacrosanct as religions hold their Gods; that is, as self-evident and infallible as a physicist would consider thermodynamics.

Perhaps it would be too radical to admit "depression" is an entirely normal reaction to a world in which one exists as a dehumanized, chronically hollowed-out wage slave whose life has been reduced to a series of empty, mindless labor and emptier consumption rituals, comforted only by addictive drugs pushed on them at every turn, and vacuous social ties of similarly hollowed out wageslaves who only know how to monologue and compete; who breathes, eats and shits microplastic, pollution and pesticides, and can't remember the last time they felt somebody actually cared if they lived or died. It'd be far too radical to admit we're living through the slow-motion collapse of the living super organism we call 'civilization' and every case of "depression" is like one little support column showing signs of giving out under the weight of a monstrosity that has become too bloated and labyrinthine for its own good. Then we'd be engaging in reality, giving the "illness" the scope it deserves, and psychology cares not for this.

The reality is, contemporary psychology functions much like a religion or a cult does, in that what one receives from it depends very much on what one puts into it - the power wielded by such organizations are directly correlate to belief of their followers. This is the power of placebo, confirmation bias, and magical thinking. If one considers their reaction to, say, climate change to be "abnormal", they merely have to walk into a therapist's office and their belief will be confirmed - their conscious experience will become a list of "symptoms" of "illness", for which they'll receive "medication". The words, the labels, the pills, they're all momentarily comforting, but none actually deal with the original problem any more than popping an Aspirin cures a raging influenza infection. That's because the entire "mental health industry" is palliative at best - worse yet, it serves at the behest of the state, which benefits massively from an industry that teaches individuals to view their life's problems through a scope that is not only decidedly apolitical but atomized as well.

Take an issue like climate change and this scope fails almost entirely - its sufficiently large-scale enough that the therapist's individualizing lens has no real answer to it. One who is trained in end-of-life therapy may have some more substantial answers that verge into decidedly philosophical territory, but most "by the book" therapists will preach willful ignorance; their role is not to create independent-thinking individuals, community leaders, politically-minded citizens or would-be revolutionaries, because they don't operate in this paradigm; an office vending machine is more communalistic than a therapist's office could ever claim to be. No, their role is to keep people complicit and complacent in the consume/work false dichotomy lifestyle for they are part of the very same paradigm, this being their work as much as preaching is a priests'. The "mental health" industry is obliged to meet the absurdity of the world it exists in and profits off of, and so existential terror becomes "eco-anxiety", another cutesy label which can be "treated" with the right combination of benzodiazepines and willful ignorance, just as a village witch doctor may have once treated "spiritual possession" with a concoction of ayahuasca and a ceremony. Now this ceremony only takes 45 minutes and $200 a week and a monthly trip to the pharmacy. Who ever said capitalism wasn't efficient?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Final Escape and snipinground